Baby with Big Belly: Health Problem???

Hi
This is a random question, but my daughter is 18mos and she has a really big tummy. She's only 20 lbs. She's eating, peeing and pooing normally. I don't mind the size, but i'm wondering if it could be an indication of some other internal problem??

The experts says it's normal for kids 12mos - 3 years of age to have the "potbelly". I wondered that too and that's wha they told me. My daughter is 2 1/2 and it's starting to even out since she's getting taller.

Nanc

Nanc

S.,

My daughter is 15 months old and has a "budda belly" as I call it. I am not concerned about it being a medical problem. But more of a health/social problem in the future as I also put on weight in my middle. I still look like I am 7 months pregnant, and am at my prepregnancy weight! My sister borrowed my daughter's pants, she is 9 months old, and said the pants kept on falling off because my daughter out stretched them "because od her belly". Comments like that is what I am worried about in the future. I had an eating disorder and am so afraid that my feeelings about food will be picked up by my daughter. So I have to make a conscious effort everyday not to make a big deal of it, and stop saying to her that she has a budda belly.

I loved all the comments that were made for your question. Thank you for posting this as so many of us have feeling about this topic.

Regards,

My daughter is 18 months too and I am concerned about the same thing. Her belly is huge. She looks 9 months pregnant. The kids at daycare says she has a basketball under her shirt :( In the mornings it seems a little flatter, but once the day starts and she has something to eat, it stays huge all day.

Anyway, my Dr. actually ordered an ultrasound of her abdomen just to make sure there was nothing wrong. We had it this morning and un-officcially, everything looked fine. The Dr. will let us know in a couple of days for sure.

But I just wanted to let you know that my daughter has that too, so i guess it's somewhat common and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her.

HI S.,
I am not expert at all. Just wanted to let you know my niece also has a big belly. My sister asked her doctor and said that it's the intestines of the baby and how they are set in her stomach. The doctor said once she grew taller it would move and spread out. I would ask your doctor. They can explaine better or see if that's the case.

If you have any concerns, let your pediatrician know. If your doctor is seeing her regularly and suspects a problem, he/she will certainly address it. If you see it as potentially a problem, but your doctor has seen your daughter and it didn't occur to him/her that anything was out of the ordinary, then it's very unlikely that something is wrong, unless you are seeing SUDDEN distension of the abdomen

Nope, she's totally normal. My daughter is the same age and she's between 21 and 22 lbs. She has this tummy that sticks out like the kids in the pictures from Africa, with the little stick legs. I wouldn't worry about her. She's normal.

Is her belly always big or do you think she's experiencing bloating? Our son has lots of bloating, he's 2. That combined with his slowed growth (he was 23 pouds at 12 months, and is 26 pounds at 25 months, with a recent weight loss of 2 pounds...) has concerned the doctors so they are looking at food allergies. He also eats, pees, and poops normally but has bad eczema, facial flushing, and some diaper-area rashes. So he had some other indicators of something. If you think she could be bloating and not just buddha bellied, then you may want to ask her ped.

Nah - it's toddler tummy. I like to think it's that big to help them balance when they're new walkers...

1 / 3