Baby Waking up Several Times a Night:(

My 7 mo old baby has been waking up crying several times a night since she was 5 mos old!!! She will not settle down herself and so we end up going in there about 3-4 times a night and rocking her for 5 minutes and putting her back in her crib. We are exhausted!!! We even started letting her sleep on her belly because she seems more comfortable and we are just getting desperate for more than a few hours of uninterrupted sleep! Any ideas of something that will help?

Thanks so much:(

Nickie

Nothing you want to hear-it's difficult-but she may need to cry and learn to soothe herself back to sleep instead of being rocked. This is, I think, one of the most gut-wrenching things a parent must do. You can go in-but don't pick her up. The pediatrician will give you the amount of time to wait before you go in-I think you make it longer each time. It takes about three nights-and you must implement the technique for naps, as well-but she will get the hang of it-and you will be able to sleep! Good luck-again-I know how very exhausting it is to do this-but just think, by the end of the week-you could be sleeping all night!

I had the same issue with both my boys and i asked a few experts about it. they said it becomes a routine for them to wake up at night and generally they dont need to eat. they told me i would have to let them cry it out. it killed me at first but eventually it worked out. they woke up less and less till they stopped waking up at night.

She probably needs to nurse/have intake.
If intake does not keep up with a baby's growth-spurts, they will always be hungry.
"Solids"... does not replace nursing/Formula. Solids is not as nutritionally dense, as solids either.
I nursed my kids on-demand, 24/7 day and night for the 1st year. This was also according to our Pediatrician. For the 1st year of life, this is a "building block" period of development and they need the nourishment of their breastmilk/Formula.

Or, she is teething.

OR it is both things, at the same time. Which is common. Very common.

Or gas.

If you are comfortable with it, cosleeping makes things like this much easier. I nursed all three of my children, and although none of them slept through until around 18 months when I nightweaned them, the night waking was a lot easier. First, because we were cosleeping, our sleep cycles synchronized, so when she was waking, I was not sleeping as deeply either. Then, when they woke, I would get them latched on, they'd nurse, and we'd both drift off to sleep. Much easier to get back to sleep if you don't actually need to get up, walk around, quiet the baby, and go back to bed. If you do decide to try this, PLEASE look up the guidelines for safe cosleeping -- there are some VERY important safety issues to think about. It can be done very safely, but you need to make sure you're set up right to do it. You don't, however, need an expensive cosleeper.

It's normal for a baby that age to wake up several times overnight. She's probably hungry. Their stomachs are so tiny at that age that they can't possibly take in enough at one time to last them all the way through the night.

Ditto what S.H. said.

Don't have much to add to the other helpful posts, but wanted you to know you are not alone. I have 3 children and NONE of them slept through the night regularly before age 2. Some research indicates that sleep patterns may be inherited while others say it has to do with individual brain development.
Just do what it takes to get sleep. Rocking and feeding is what I did with all mine. Don't worry too much about developing bad habits, just comfort her and be there for her. If it is teething, you will likely have a couple weeks here and there when you get more sleep once the tooth emerges and before the next one. I know how tired you are. At times my babies and toddlers would get up hourly for several nights straight. Good news is that it does pass. My 3 1/2 yr old and 6 1/2 yr old sleep 10-12 hours straight now. I'm still praying for the day my youngest (just turned 2 this week) will sleep through the night. He's sleeping longer stretches now, so there is hope.
If you get tempted to let her "cry it out" please read this first: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/science-says-.... Nurse Midwife Mom

She's most likely hungry.
They have little tummies & do not sleep through the night easily.
I got up every 3 hours w/my little one. A 5 hr stretch was a godsend.
I would get up (keep her in your room), check diaper & nurse (or bottle
feed if that is what you are doing) w/o much light or commotion then bk
to bed!
This stage will soon pass. Just keep going.
Take your days one at a time & in 3 hr stretches to makes it easier to take
Easier on the psyche. Hang in there. This stage shall pass & you will barely remember it looking back.
(Not in my case. I remember it vividly & am permanently scarred. Kidding. That was to make you smile & laugh.)
Feed, change, cuddle (mama's mantra). Hang in there sweetie. :)

Are you sure she is getting enough sleep during the day? Some of you might laugh - but it is true that kids that are OVERTIRED do not sleep as well through the night. If you don't believe me, read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth and give it a try. IT WORKS!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!!
Good luck!! :-)

She may be hungry. What time are you putting her to bed and when is her last nursing session or bottle? If you go in and feed her the first time she wakes, does she sleep at least 6 hours?

She is a growing baby, she probably needs to nurse or have a bottle
.

1 / 3