Baby Tylenol vs Infant Ibuprofen...

my 2 mo got her immunizations today, and her pedi. said that if she started to run a fever or seemed like she was in a lot of pain we could give her the minimum dose of baby Tylenol (she's already 13.4 lbs, so even though she is young according to the package, her weight fits...) well, at the store we couldn't find any baby tylenol (I know the name brand was recalled, but we couldn't even find generic...) so we picked up a thing of ibuprofen (good thing to have on hand... even if not for this). I never take painkillers unless I absolutely have to, so I don't know much about the different types. The ibuprofen says that it is for pain relief and a fever reducer... which is what the doc said to use the tylenol for...My question is if it is ok to give her this instead of the tylenol? what is the difference between the two anyway?

thanks everyone! No ibuprofen, so I guess I had better go get some tylenol... :)

Motrin is an anti-inflammatory. so it's good for things like teething and high fevers. tylenol is not .

Ibuprofen is harder to digest (recommended to be taken with food), is for babies 6+ months, helps with inflammation, and has longer lasting effects (you take less doses of it within a 24 hr period). Tylenol is easier to digest (no need to give with food), is safe for infants (for correct dosage consult yoru doc), does not help with inflammation, and has shorter effects. The main reason they dont want you to give ibuprofen to babies is because of teh long lasting effects. They do not want you to "mask" an illness. So because the tylenol wears off quicker you have more of a chance seeing if your child is actually getting better or if they are in the same state as before. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

I might be remembering it wrong, but I think that Ibprofen is for ages 6+months and tylenol is for the little ones. They are both fever and pain reducers, but tyleonol is better for fever, and motrin is better for inflamation.

Ibuprofen is NOT recommended for babies under 6 months old. You can try going to another store and see if they have any infants acetaminophen (Tylenol) there. If you can't find it, then you can always ask the pharmacist. Good Luck!!

my doctor told me that ibuprofen upsets their lil' stomach while tylenol is more gentle. I personally have used both b/c i have a 5, 3, & 1 yr old and as crazy as this sounds the new doctor (got laid off lost ins.. so had to switch) just told me this for my 1 yr old!! so i feel stupid.. but personally i've used both and have never seen an adverse reaction in any or my kids.. I try to stick to tylenol now for all my kids.. but it never seems to work as good as motrin or ibuprofen does.. but i dont really give it to my kids often anyhow.. especially not for headaches or anything like that not even teething if i dont have too.. good luck :)

Call the pharmacist. They can help you too and a lot of parmacies are open 24hours. At least walgreens!

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and Tylenol is a pain/fever reducer.

Inflammation happens when there is an injury like a sprained ankle, teething, etc...swelling, redness, tenderness, etc.... it helps with pain and fever but Tylenol really is what is needed for just pain and fever.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen can even be taken during the same day, like Tylenol at 9 am, Ibuprofen at 2pm, Tylenol again at bedtime, etc...I never get the time amounts right so that was just an example.
***************************************************************************
My best advice I can give you.
I know first hand that a mistake can be made. I have made a medication error, with seizure meds at a facility I worked at.

To be sure about ANY medication please ask a professional, not moms. Children die every year because moms read the label wrong or make a medication mistake. That's one of the reasons so many meds were being taken off the shelves for children under 6 years old. A Pharmacist is a trained professional in medication, nothing else, medications. I never trust the doctor, the nurse, the neighbor down the street, no one but a Pharmacist for advice about medications.

yeah, no no no on the ibuprofen, it should even say for ages 6 months and up on the label :) the two drugs can work on similar symtpoms(pain and fever), but they do work in different ways. the two drugs can even be given together in children that are old enough to take them. hope your little one is feeling better soon!

1 / 3