Baby's Skin Is Yellow and Nose Is Orange

My youngest son is 7 months old and I have recently noticed that his skin is sort of yellowish and his nose is very noticeably orange. He was jaundice when he was born and had to wear a bilirubin blanket. He also eats alot of orange veggies. Anybody know what it could be and if I should take it seriously?

My son did that when he was a baby. there's more than likely nothing wrong at all. just stop feeding him orange veggies and it will go away. no worries! I tell you this as a mother and a health care prof.

This is likely from the orange veggies he eats. Any time my kids ate a lot of orange veggies--carrots, squash, etc. their skin was yellow/orangish. This is very common and will go away as you decrease the amount of orange veggies and increase the green.

If he eats a lot of carrots the caratine in it will tutn him orange. It is what makes Flamingos pink.

H.

Yes, yellow veggies can turn your babies skin orange. Not bad but maybe branch out a bit to some green veggies and some fruits. If you are concerned about other possibilities a doctor can rule out any other problems with a blood test. Generally babies that have Jaundice as an infant do not have ANY further problems. (I am a nurse who used the biliblanket for years)

This is common at this age when carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes are a staple in the baby food diet. If you are overly concerned, you can call your pediatrician's office; but, if he is happy/playing, etc., they will more than likely tell you that he is fine. Sometimes a call can put a mom's mind at ease though, as well as rule out anything else.

Hello. My daughter did the same thing. The doctor told me to think about what she was eating at that age. Squash, carrots, peaches and so on and they are are all yellowish and orangeish. These foods will give your baby that tint of skin. You will have to ask your doctor, but I think if they are jaundice at this age the white in their eyes will be more yellow. Hope this helps.

You may be feeding your baby too many carrots. The betta carotene will cause your baby's skin to turn colors.

I had the same problem with my little one. He wasn't jaundice at birth but his skin and nose turned yellow and orange. It is more than likely the food he is eating. Especially carrots. But one way to know is to watch his eyes. If the whites in his eyes start to discolor then you should call a doctor.

Hope you have good luck with it!

Stop feeding the him so many carrots and it will go away. My mom took my sister to the ER once because she was turning orange...turns out all she ate was carrots. The doc laughed at her.

It's only jaundice if the whites of his eyes turn yellow. Many babies get a tinge of orange to their noses and skin when they start eating solid foods. If you think about it, there are only about five veggies babies can eat: green beans, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash, and the last three are all high in beta carotene. Have you ever looked at the nutrition information on the jar? One 4 oz. jar of carrots provides 650% the daily recommended allowance of vitamin A! I only feed my 10 mo. old an orange veggie every other day (because too much Vit. A can be harmful), and he STILL has an orange-tinted nose. I'm sure it will go away once his teeth are in and he can eat more veggies. :) Good luck!

He's probably fine, if he really eats A LOT of carrots and sweet potatoes that's probably what it is. I know it made me turn orange when I was little. Feed him some more variety and you will see it diminish.

1 / 3