Baby's Room Is Freezing Cold at Night!

I need some ideas on how to keep my baby from freezing at night! His room is the coldest in the house, and I think he's been waking up at night wanting to come in our bed to nurse because he's so cold (that and he's teething!). I would if I could, but I just can't do the cosleeping thing because I always get crowded out and hardly sleep at all. We usually keep the temp a little lower at night to keep the gas bill down, plus we have a big down comforter that is super warm, and I can't sleep if it's too warm (the MBR is the warmest room!). Our baby is only 7 months so extra covers/blankets for him aren't recommended due to SIDS and suffocation risks. We dress him in warm footie PJs and a fleece blanket sleeper, but his hands still feel like ice when I go get him in the morning. We need to keep his door closed at night so our cats don't bug him, and I'm afraid to put a spaceheater in his room overnight for fear of it shorting out and causing a fire. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can keep him and his room warmer?

I'm new so I'm a little late on the advice but I will go ahead anyways. We had a similar problem with my son. He actually sleeps better with the door shut so no one bothers him. I would put him in a onsie, a pair of socks and a warm footie sleepers. I also put a blanket in the bed for him to sleep on. Just sleeping on the sheet was to cold against the matress. Good luck

I have the same problem in my five month olds room. We went and bought a warm humidifier (the Vicks one that is germ free). With my first child I didn't feel comfortable closing her door at night to keep the cat out so we installed a cheap screen door. I hope that this helps. Good luck.

hi there S.
:
Once upon a time there was a hot water bottle or even warm gel pack. People also warmed bricks and wrapped them to put in the bed to warm the bed. And the there was a heating pad to warm the bed . The last items were removed when the bed was occupied. hope you find these suggestions helpful,

Wow, you just described our situation exactly, (even down to the three cats)! We dressed our baby in layers, depending on how cold it is. Regular onesie as an undershirt, then a long-sleeved t-shrt over that, then the pajamas, then the sleep sack. Now that she is almost 1, we don't use the sleep sacks anymore and haven't for awhile, but we don't use blankets yet either because she moves around so much at night that it wouldn't stay on her anyway. So we still dress her in layers - onesie, long-sleeved tshirt, thick fleece footed pajamas (socks and slim pants underneath if it is really cold out). Her pajamas are a little too big right now, so the sleeves hang over her hands a bit, which proabably helps keep them warm. Have you tried mittens at night? They may not stay on though, and the kind attached with a string would be too dangerous at night. But if she's warm enough over all, then her hands don't seem to get cold, and her body feels toasty warm, even her legs and feet, when I get her up in the morning so I think the layering I'm doing is enough. I tried a space heater in the very beginning, but I stopped because it made me too nervous, plus I didn't want it to get TOO warm in there because babies aren't supposed to get overheated either. Oh yes, I almost forgot - since we have an old house it contributes to the cold room problem. My husband put this clear plastic "shrink wrap" type film on the windows that we don't open (half are painted shut). You adhere it to the edges and then use a blowdryer to finish and it really looks invisible. Of course this only works if you do not open your windows in the nice weather. But it helps with utility bills. I read another response that said to lock the cats in the bathroom at night so you can leave the baby's door open, but I disagree with that. At our house, our "furry kids" sleep with us in our room and have full access to the rest of the house (food, litter boxes) except for the baby's room, and there is no way I'd change that. So just use those layers to keep the baby nice and warm. Sorry, one more tip: We actually have started keeping the thermostat warmer at night. We just decided that it is one of the expenses we need to pay when you have a baby, and we cut back on other things instead. And it makes getting out of bed easier in the morning too! :)

Our baby has somehow always managed to be in the coldest room in the house; don't know why. We also have two cats, so the door stays closed at night. Long thermal curtains help retain heat, and they also darken the room well for daytime naps. We put a space heater in his room to warm it up, and just tweak the temperature setting based on how warm the room is in the morning. I looked for a space heater with safety features like automatic shutoff in case of a short, resistance to tipping over, and the like. We got a Vornado space heater around a year ago; our son is 16 months now and crawling all over the place, and I am very firm that he is not to play with the heater, and so he is careful around it. (I never turn it on when he's out of bed, but this is in case he learns to work the buttons.) So far, things are working great, and he sleeps through the night (and has since 4.5 months).

Mom, you're going to have to make some sacrifices, it's what being a parent is all about.

Here are some suggestions:
- Replace your blanket so you're not hot so you can warm up the rest of the house
- Secure the cats so you can leave his door open
- put socks on his feet under what he already has on
- put up some thermal/lined curtains to help keep some of the cold out of the room from the window
- make sure his bed is not by the window
- put flannel sheets on his bed
- you can always put his bed in your room until the weather gets warmer
- turn up the heat in the house at night for a little while
- if you have a ceiling fan in his room, reverse the motion of the blades and keep it on low. This will pull up cold air in the room
- if his floor is not carpeted, put a large area rug over it to help keep the coldness from the floor from affecting the room
- put his bed right under the vent to make the most use of the heat coming out

Let us know how well his little hands warm up!

The key to proper air flow is to keep the door open. We had a baby and a cat once and actually installed a screen door to keep the cats out of the baby's room when needed. Sounds crazy to have a screen door inside but it worked like a charm! God Bless you.

I'll bet it has to do with keeping his door closed. It doesn't make much sense to me, BUT it was explained to me that in order for a room to stay warm, there has to be air flow in AND out of the room. If the door fits tightly against the carpet, air doesn't circulate. If our kids close their doors during the day to play, their room starts to get cold. I use to close our baby's room at night, but same problem. I now close it for her to go to sleep, but prop it open with a stuffed animal when I go to bed. No more problems with frozen baby fingers.

Is there another solution with the cats?

I have lived several times without natural gas so I know how hard it is to pay the heating bill. I choose to turn the heat down during the day, 60-65 degrees, when everyone is up and playing and able to snuggle when they are chilly. With all the laundry and cooking the house stays fine all day. I need to be comfortable to sleep well, I set the thermostat on 70-72 degrees at bedtime. Too hot or too cool is very uncomfortable. Also, I am awake more hours than asleep so the heat is turned down for more hours.

Also, they sell magnetic vent covers at home supply stores and Wal-Mart. If your vent covers are made of something other than metal use magazines or books, my brother has a heat and air business and he uses bricks to cover his vents. Our master bathroom is the first room off the central unit and it is the hottest room in the house. I bet it can reach 95/100 degrees in there when the heat is on (we keep all the bathroom doors closed to keep little kids out of the toilet and possible drowning). Think about Summer...it can be very cold coming out of the shower. I place the vent cover over 90% of the vent. The actual vent is mostly closed and the air that comes out is minimal but enough to keep the bathroom comfortable. The toilet seat doesn't freeze our hiney's when we sit down. We cover, 90%, all the vents at night so the heat goes into the occupied rooms. We moved our bedroom to the coolest room and let the kids have the warmer room. It is bigger and they have more room for their toys and can have an indoor slide and stuff so they can have large muscle play. It is under 30 degrees here so it is nice they can play indoors.

Your baby is more important than the cats...but a cat is always on the wrong side of a closed door, I know, we have had cats too. I gave up a long time ago when it came to keeping the cats out of the bedroom at night. We couldn't sleep because the cats constantly, all night, clawed the door and meowed loudly trying to get in. When we gave in I got used to sleeping on my tummy with 2 cats sleeping between my legs on the covers. Have you considered putting a screen door on the baby's room? It would allow ventilation but keep the cats out. Maybe a piece of lattice, the cats can't rally destroy that like they can screen.

I agree the windows could be covered. I entirely disagree about putting a space heater in the room. They cause fires all the time and it isn't worth the risk. My daughter heated a bedroom with one and I noticed the wall was getting discolored, when I touched the wall it was very hot. She threw the heater away that day. They all have risks. What about when the baby starts climbing out of the crib in a couple of months? A long term solution is your best bet.

I know I go on and on but this is at least something I have experience with. I hope some of my suggestions will help you, or spark ideas that will solve the situation.

You could try putting socks on his hands once he's asleep, so he doesn't pull them off. When my daughter was a baby, we had this same problem, I used to tuck the baby comforter into the sides of the crib, and then have her hands, chest, and head out of the covers, but at least her lower body was covered, and it would help her to stay warmer. With the comforter tucked tightly in, she couldn't move it, and she never scooted down throughout the night, she usually scooted up. I don't know if that makes any sense, but those are 2 things you could try, otherwise, moving the crib to your room seems like pretty good advice! Good luck!

Good morning, S.! A space heater is your best bet. I'm not sure why you are afraid of it "shorting out"...that would be an electrical issue and not a product issue. If your eletrical system is a problem then anything you plug in can short out. If it is the space heater safety about which you are worried, choose one accordingly. We chose an oil-filled floor model for our daughter's room when she was young and only turned it on at night. The benefits of it is that it warms the entire room at a constant temperature that can be set. There are lots of safety features. The downside to this one is that it can get hot to the touch. Once Allie was crawling we set up her playpen fence to separate the heater from the rest of the room in case she ever managed to climb out of bed at night. There are some smaller models than the one we chose though (she had a really big room) and some can be put up on shelves out of the way of little hands.

Here's a good comparison website I found: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/10/5-great-portable-...

hi there S.
:

OUr baby's room is cold too, so I know how you feel. I would recommend the Vicks vaporizer. That's what I'm going to do. It will warm up the room and help keep stuffy noses away. Another thing that I do is swaddle him with a light blanket and then put a heavier blanket on top of him, and kind of tuck it around him. It seems to work really well. He can still manage to get his hands free but they usually aren't so cold with the extra covers.

My pediatrician told us that the highest chances of SIDS are between 2-4 months and after 6 months its extrememly rare, so I think you're ok. I know it's hard not to worry, I'm the biggest worrier I know, but I think you're probably out of the woods on the SIDS stuff. Good luck with everything! =)

Try putting baby to sleep with a small hot water bottle that's not tooo hot (wrap it up in a towel). We found it works great when we place it with our baby, when she has gas and the tummy hurts.
Also we swaddle our baby and then put a blanket on the lower half of her... keeps her warm (sometimes too warm) and since she can't swing around her arms and legs I'm not concerned about the blanket getting on her face. Also she seems to seems longer when swaddled.

He is a bigger priority at night than the cats, so either put them in the utility
room or garage or some other room where they can't reach him or perhaps put
a screen door on his room to keep them out so you can let warmer air in.
You could let him sleep in a porta-crib in your room this winter. Or, you could bite the bullet and turn up the heat in your home and you sleep with a lighter cover this winter. But, if his hands are freezing you need to find a way to make him warmer. There are space heaters that these days are much safer and if they
tip over, they shut off. You could also bar a bar heater that you could install on
one wall of your son's room. Enjoy this Christmas with your little one!

I've used a small space heater in my son's room for 5 winters now. I bought a good one and keep it to where it doesn't have to kick on too often. If your house is insulated well, which mine is not, you could even warm up the room before the baby goes to bed and then turn the heater down very low so it doesn't have to kick on often. I always place his on a very safe surface with nothing around it anywhere. They do make heated bed/crib pads but i would be more afraid of those than a quality space heater safely placed.
Have a fabulous day and god bless

My son's room is the same. First, I would check the insulation in the attic and then add a small heater in the room. You can get one from W-Mart for ten dollars or so. The one I have is made by Holmes. I really like it b/c the temperature is adjustable. You can even use it in the summer if his room is the hottest too!

You might just move his crib into your room while it is so cold this season. I would do that and not put him in bed with you. That is what I did when my son was little and his room was very cold not matter what I did. It made us all happy. He was warm and slept through the night and so did I.
S. Jane

Girl. Don't let those docs scare ya. Give that baby a blanket! lol Also, those thick, footed, zip-up pajamas are excellent for the baby who kicks off the covers. All of mine did that! Slip a onesie underneath, and he should be good to go.
Mine all slept with pillows and blankets...they're ok. You'll know as a mother if it's ok or not. God gives you those 'mommy feelings'. btw--they change their minds about what causes sids about every other year. If we had listened to all that they've said over the years, we'd have had the babies floating in the air to avoid it by now! haha
You might make sure you take magnesium before you go to bed at night. Many studies have suggested a deficiency of magnesium in both mother and child in sids cases.

Oh--I didn't lay mine on their backs, either--they can choke on vomit if they spit up.
Just one mommy's advice : ) Do what you feel is best : )
What a great mother you are for asking advice!

Blessings,
Hs

Put up a baby gate in the door way of the babies room, keeping the door open and cats out.

I would move him into your bedroom for the time until he is older. I suggest losing the down comforter for now; if you don't, still move Baby Boy into your room. set up a couple of box fans to cool you down--(also, keeps the air circulating) That way he is in the warmest room so he doesn't get cold, the cats stay out, and if you have the fans you stay cool. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!!

You could also try putting the cat(s) up at night, say in the laundry room or a bathroom, where they will have their food, water and catbox. This way, you could leave the baby's bedroom door open at night which will help keep warm air moving into the room. Just a thought at an inexpensive solution.

hey there. i have had the same issue as you we heat our home with space heaters because we cant afford a gas bill on top of all other bills.we use spavce heaters in our room and the kids room. we have theirs set on low so it doesnt get over heated and it gets nice and toasty in there. also we have put up heavy duty window plastic over all the windows. and believe me that alone haqs helped. keeps cold out and heat in. all you need is enough plastic to cover all the windows, a stapler gun, and masking tape. cover and staple the windows then run masking tape around the edges and seal the window frame and plastic up. also make sure that you tape any seams between plastic. this will make it cold air tight.also your baby should be safe from sids being he is 7 months old, sids usually hits babies up to 3 months. as long as he can turn his head with ease he should be fine to put in an extra blanket. i dont recomend those hand mittns for new babies becasue i have read they can get them off and choke on them especially if he is a hand sucker to sooth himself. if all else fails move his bed to another room that stays warm. other than that dont know anything else to suggest. let me know what happens, hope this helped . J.

When I read through your responses, I did not see this recomdation. I did see one filled with totally innapproate vitrol, but some people like to be nasty to people just for the sake of being nasty. The have a new type of space heater that heats the air and not the objects around it, in other words you can even touch the heater itself and it won't burn you, but it will make the air toasty. I'm sorry, I can't recall the name of it right now, but if you have a computer you might go online and search, or ask a clerk at one of the stores if they know which one. I need to get one for my grandaughter's room because if I breath warm air at night I get up all stopped up and wheezing and coughing, which at my age is dangerous with the other things that is wrong with me. Hope this helps, and if I do find out the name in my search I'll let you know.

I don't think that a good idea keeping his door closed at night. All sorts of things could happen and you would never know cuz his door is shut. Put the cats in another room and shut them up at night. Your baby is more important than the cats. You could put his crib in your room while it's cold then when spring comes put him back in his room. Also there are space heaters made with safety shut off features in case something happens plus you could install the kinds of plug ins in his room so if anything shorts out it wont cause a fire. they are like regular plugs but they have the same features on it like a blow dryer does.

Maybe try one of those tent like things that go over the babies crib that are specifically to keep cats out of the crib? That way you could leave the door open. Or maybe a warm mist humidifier? I don’t know if those would do anything. Does he wear a cap at night? That might help keep his body temperature warm.

Most importantly you are putting your baby in danger of your biggest fear--FIRE. If his room is closed off and there is a fire, when you open that door to get to him, it will create a draw and draw the fire into that room , where there is untapped oxygen. First thing is to open his bedroom door, second, close off the vents in seldom used room and in your room. make sure his room vents are open.

Of course he is cold sweetie. You stated you are in the warmest room and you sleep under a down comforter. He comes first. THe cats have to be trained to stay away or they get closed off. I know you don't intend to but you are making your cats a bigger priority than your child.

THe person who posted about the keeping your home at the same temp. all the time is correct. I have managed office and apartment buildings for 25 years and I have tried it all. Keeping it the same all the time, year round is your most economical situation. Every time you turn it down in the winter or turn it up in the summer, you are effecting everything, so when you turn it up in the morning it has to run longer to rewarm the wall, floors, and furniture. Just pic a temp 68 in winter and 70 in summer for us, and stick to it.

Your baby is worth it.

We had a similar issue with uneven temperatures. We cracked a window in our room and made the temperature more comfortable in the children's rooms. It may cost a few dollars more, but it is worth is to have comfortable sleeping children and a good night's sleep for yourself.

I would leave the temp alone and lose the down comforter. You might have to pay a little more for gas but at least your baby won't feel like a popcicle.

I don't mean to sound rude but it seems that your priorities are off. You shut him in a cold room so the cats don't bother him; I would shut the cats in a room so his room could ventilate and be warmer. You don't want to be too warm so you keep the thermostat down; I would ditch the down comforter and sleep with a lighter blanket or sheet so that you could have the house warmer for your baby. And, lastly if his room is still too cold I would move the crib into your room as it is warmer.

S., we had the same problem with our livingroom and we put some clear plastic over the window that you can get at walmart for about 4 bucks. I has made a huge difference our heat doesnt come on as often.

Put the cats in another room and close their door so you can take care of your babies room temperature. The room will definitely stay colder for your baby if his door is closed and the air can not circulate out since the return vent pulls air through-out the house. The cold air will be trapped in his room. The new space heaters are very safe and have LOTS of safety features. Could you consider getting one and placing it in the hall if you feel better about that and have it facing his room to send some warm air that direction? If he has a window, check to see if it's drafty - you could cover it with clear plastic on the inside with simple thumbtacks for a few months.

The radiator space heaters do not have the same fire risk as regular space heaters, they also have a timer with an auto shutoff feature. You can find them for about $30 an up depending on the features you want, the one we have was about $60 with the timer and auto shutoff feature. We got it at Walmart it is Honeywell brand.

Our kids rooms happen to be on the front of the line and are the warmest and our room and bathroom are the coldest, so we use one in our bathroom in the mornings to warm it up.

You might try black out curtains, they can be purchased at walmart. Approx $25. It really helped in my master bed, we had the same problem.

I would recommend keeping the cats in a separate room at night and leaving the baby's room open to allow warmer air to circulate through there. Additionally, you can look into insulated window coverings to keep warm air inside the house for the window in the baby's room (if there is a window).

You've had a lot of responses and I honestly didn't read them all... but we had the same problem. In my 3 year olds room we use an oil filled radiator heater. We tried it in our babies nursery though and his room is much smaller so it actually got too hot. So we bought a heater fan for about $20 from target. It specifically said for a small room and it also has the thermostat. Works great! Another thought though... In my older sons room, there is a vent in his closet, so we keep his closet door open year round so the cool air can get out in the summer and the warm air in the winter. Just another suggestion... the door could need to be shaved off at the bottom if it's a tight fit. Good luck and stay warm!

We use those portable radiators to heat our whole house. I think they are filled with oil. There is no flame and they work great. S.

I'm currently in the middle of a remodel that's been dragging on for longer than I like, so I havent had central heat for most of my girls' lives (they're 8&9 now). I've been using both fan heaters and radiant oil heaters this whole time. The only time I've ever had a problem was when someone plugged one of them into a household-grade (non-grounded) extension cord. I would recommend a new oil-filled radiant for your baby's room, as its easier on the humidity than the fans. Just be sure to plug it straight into the outlet and check your outlet for warmth. If it feels more than slightly warm to the touch, you should replace your outlet to current code standards (most outlet fires are being caused by the old standard, which is to shove the wires into the holes in the back of the unit instead of screwing them down, I've had to replace every outlet in my house, and have found evidence of shorts on several). The only downside with the oil-filled is that it does get hot to the touch, so when he starts moving around, you may have to move it out. The permanent solution would be to fix the problem at the source - have a reputable HVAC tech unstall a "pancake" into your line to restrict flow to the master and increase flow to his room. Its a nominal fix and should not be very expensive. I hope this helps :}

You could bring his crib into your bedroom. Also, don't just put extra clothes on him, because the air, itself, needs to be warmer; cold or dry air is hard on a baby's whole respiratory system.

If you choose to keep him in his room, you could get the insulating shrink wrap for the window, if there is one. Also, look into storm windows; they pay for themselves in saving heating costs by working so effectively to insulate. Also, consider thick curtains. Check to make sure the vent in his room is open (and pointed AT THE WALL, not toward the center of the room; this is a common mistake). Since your room is the warmest in the house, you could close the vent in your room to get that heat into his. And finally, if you have a ceiling fan in his room, set it to push the warm air, which accumulates toward the ceilings in a house, down to your son. Keeping a fan on 24/7 is much, much cheaper than turning up the heat. In fact, it makes much better use of the heat you're already using. Extremely effective. Just make sure the fan is rotating in the right direction.

You could keep the cats in another room with the door closed and keep your son's door open, if that will warm him up.

I know times are tough and heat costs money. Look at where else you can cut costs. Can you cancel your cable/dish? Eat out less? Cook more rice and beans dishes (super cheap! About $2 for a meal that feeds 4, with leftovers.)

check the vents in his room. They may be closed. Open them up if they are closed, and if they are open close the ones in the master bedroom to force more warm air in to his room.

Also, changing the temperature does not save on gas or electricty. Keeping the house at a constant temp is more economical and saves on energy.

We taught our cats to stay out of the crib, early on.

Lastly you can always move his crib in to the master, he will stay warm and you will not be cosleeping.

move his crib into your room for the winter?
shut the cats into another room just at night?
sleep in a hat?
is he too big for those halo sleep sacks?
onesie under the pj's?

S., Why don't you consider moving the crib to the MBR for the duration of the winter? and then close your door so the cats don't reach the baby. i've heard that cats are dangerous for babies mainly due to their jealousy.

only for the cold months shouldn't harm anything nor be enough time for the infant to become too accustomed to being nearer to you during sleep time. it makes sense to me in order to keep him warm. all will be comfy in the MBR.

give it a thought for the healthy and safety of your baby. GOD BLess you all and have a wonderful Christmas!

My daughter was having the same problem the last time we were visiting. We put socks on my granddaughters hands at night and it worked great. Hope that helps.

we've had the same problem due to his big window and room extending farther out on the outside of the house. the best thing is to open the door and just put the cats away at night...maybe a laundry room or spare bedroom?

The advice here in England is to keep baby's room at about 65F (18C) degrees at night.

Our nursery was also the coldest room in the house. I too used to put them in a babygrow(footed pj) and a fleece blanket sleeper with a couple of blankets and really tucked them in tight. Their hands were cold but the rest of them was nice and toasty.

S., we have the some problem. My 18 month old daughter's room was the coldest in the house. I called out an A/C guy and he told me the duct work that was used to run the air from the unit in the attic to her bedroom was too small, therefore not delivering enough heat to her room in the winter and cool air in the summer. After ruling out a possible kink/blockage in the duct work he suggested installing a booster in the duct work near the main unit in the attic. It forces more air into her room. It seems to have helped somewhat. Another suggestion is two part. First, you can close off the registers (the vents where the air enters the room) fully or partially in rooms that aren't used too often (ie laundry room, bathroom, unused bedroom) that will force more airflow into the baby's room if they are on the dame line of duct work. The second part to the suggestion is to have the dampers that come off the main unit in the attic closed off fully or partially to force more airflow into needed areas. This is much more difficult to do, but much more effective. If you or someone you know can do it that would be better, if not, you will have to call an A/C guy out there to do it. Also, you could close off the damper partially to your room since it gets so warm. Hope this helps. S.

We have an almost "free" yr old and she's had a space heater in her room since she was a baby.
We made sure the space heater has a shutoff switch if it gets too hot/tips over and has that Surge protection feature built into the plug.
We also got one that has a set temperature (we keep hers on 70 degrees and 75 if the weather is REALLY cold at night) and she is usually great in the am.
They are a lot safer than they used to be!
Hope this helps,
C. :-)

try a heated mattress pad thats what my sister had to use for her baby for the same reason it really worked well for her.

Get a window film kit and cover his windows with it. It helps to insulate the windows and keep the room a little warmer.

Get a NEW space heater for his room. The new ones are perfectly safe. They will shut themselves off if knocked over, and they put out plenty of heat. Get one the appropriate size for the size of his bedroom.

If you can't or won't do that, then you need to turn the heat up at night. Yes, it's nice to save on your electric bills, but you know it's more important that your baby stay warm. I can tell you want to do what is best for your baby, or your wouldn't be asking for advice.

put your cats in the bath room and close the door. and maybe switch rooms. since you get too hot too easy. try that and see what happens. or put your baby bed in your room. and put the cats in his room and close the door.