Baby's Neck Cleanliness

I've looked in all the books and found no suggestions - my three month old daughter drools a lot (which is normal, right?!) but she ends up with nasty red marks on her neck because I cannot seem to find a way to keep the chubby folds of her neck dry. It doesn't seem to hurt her but it looks awful. I'm bathing her every other day, for what that's worth. Anyone else have this problem?

If it is red/raw then a rash cream to clear it up and then powder applied throughout the day. Or a bib that she can wear while awake. Drooling is normal for some babies. I would think the baby oil suggestion would be so the skin doesn't dry out and get stuck together causing irritation, which might work too.

I went through this with my daughter. After I dried her neck I put a little bit of rash cream on it. It helped clear up the reddness and kept it a little drier during her drooling period. You'll have to do it several times a day but it really helped my daughter. Good luck and enjoy that baby! :-)

I don't know why my mother did this and so I don't know if it will help. She put baby oil on a cotton ball and wiped her baby's neck with it every day; perhaps twice a day.

Hi B.,

My grandson was a drooler bar none! You might try just a touch of corn starch. It is natural and the drying ability should help with the redness.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!

T. Nelson CD (DONA)

Bag Balm... I am telling you it's the cure all for any kind of child/baby skin issues!

We had this. We even changed the name to "bruling" because he'd do it on purpose by burbling and buzzing his lips. He also let milk run down the side of his face into those little neck rolls. eeeeew

When used A&D (the cure for nearly everything, apparently) it would take care of it.

Also...don't know if it applies but we bathed him at least once or twice a day, and I used babywipes on him after nursing. He was a water baby though....loved loved loved the water.

I'd be careful of the cornstarch. They don't put real talcum in talcum powder anymore...they use cornstarch...and it can cause/significantly contribute to yeast infections. We KNEW this, especially in little girls (we had a boy), but we didn't realize you can get a yeast infection durn near anywhere. Including in little neck or thigh rollies. Anywhere with moisture and heat.

And thank you again, A&D.

This is very common since they can't raise their heads and air never gets to that part of their body. I like to wash their necks thoroughly, dry them completely, then put a little olive oil on their skin to act as a protective barrier. Works great!

I had the same problem with my first one, except, his moisture was from excessive spit-up from severe reflux. He had a bright red line at the crease of the fold under his chin. I tried everything from ointments to powder (ew, the pwder makes an icky paste) and in the end found that it was not worth the battle or worry since the area had no infection or odor and was not bothering him. Every time I changed his diaper I used a clean wipe and gave his neck a swipe - it made me feel like I had given it due diligence and I think it is what kept the odor away.

*K

1 / 3