Baby's First Dental Checkup

My work just finished open enrollment for insurance. While it was still going on I called my dentist to see if I should add my son to my dental insurance. He said that he wouldn't need his first cleaning/check-up until 4 years old. Last week my son had his 18 month checkup and the pediatrician seemed appalled that I hadn't brought him to the dentist yet. When did you first take your children to the dentist. Both the dentist and pediatrician seem like reliable sources in the matter, so I'm not sure who to believe/follow. What do you think mamas?

Wow! Thank you all for your replies. :) We have been brushing his teeth for a while now with training toothpaste. I think he has all but the molars (he got his first tooth at 2.5 months and never stopped growing them). I don't think my peditrician had any concerns. That's just the way she is... he has a bigger sized head, and even after sending him to a neurologist, craniofacial surgeon, MRIs, CATscans, and Ultrasounds and ALLLL saying he was normal, she wants to do these tests all over again because she thinks it might be why he's not walking yet. She's just thorough to the point of being a pain. Anyways, after taking in everyone's advice, I'll probably add him to my dental insurance during next Open Enrollment (he'll be 2.5 yo). That way we can have it if need be and at least get him in by 3. Thanks again for all of the input! :)

I took both my girls at two for the first time. Another thing you need to consider is whether they will sit for it or if they will be afraid of the whole experience. Also determine if their teeth need to be looked at because they seem to have cavaties.

I just asked my dentist when I need to bring my 2 1/2 old in and they said not before 3 unless you are worried about something. You are not wrong in waiting. If you doctor was worried about something they should have pointed that out. I don't think you should worry.

I took my son at 3 because that is what a friend who is a dental hygentist said. Now I heard that you should start taking them at 2. I have a good friend who is a doc. in denstry and she said that they should start at 2 because for 1. It gets them comfortable in the settings 2. That at 2 they can get cavaties. It isn't much of a cleaning like they do for adults. THey just look in their mouth to see if they have cavaties..and I think floride they do. I will find out in June. THat is when I have my 2 year old's dentist appoitment.

We go to a pediatric dentist who also recommends around one year old, as soon as they start getting teeth, just like your pediatrician. I don't take them though until they are two. I'm not sure why I wait until two but I do. I certainly wouldn't wait until 4 that seems crazy to me, but you aren't doing anything wrong by not having taken him yet.

I asked our dentist he said three years old is the earliest he would see kids. I have also been a professional nanny to several families that have had pediatrician that were rank in the top 100 doctors in american. They said start at three too.

Hi R.,

My dentist said age 2. So that is what I did with my girls. They were fine with the dentist and we never had any problems with them allowing him to check ther teeth. I always stayed by their side and encouraged them while they were being checked.

Blessings,

18 months is still pretty young to go to the dentist. I know there are people who take there kids that young but some dentists won't even see a patient that young. I think that by 3 they need to be seen, but the younger the better. If your child is going to be scared to death then I wouldn't push it (unless there's a problem). Sometimes the older they get and mature the dentist doesn't seem so scary. So to answer your question no, I'm not sure why your dr was so appalled by it, it's not very common (to my knowledge) to take children that young, but if they will happily go then that's great. :)

i was told by two different peds. that unless your child has problems or an injury they dont need to see the dentist til 3. they just are too little to sit for a cleaning until then.

I took Tara when she was 5, and Elise when she was almost 4. But I have had daycare kids that needed teeth filled at 3 yrs old. I wouldn't bother putting them on the dental insurance until they were 3 honestly.

My dentist said once their 2 year molars were in. For both it was shortly after they turned 2, but b/c of when my hubby can enroll in his insurance our son, 3 in March, has had to wait until this year. I would say take in your child once they have all their teeth including their molars.

Both of my boys where 2 and they both went to a peds dentist, and they both loved it! Now they are 7 and 9 and they go to the same dentist that I go to and they are not scared at all and we have no problems. I believe age 2 is a great age to start because by then they have all of their teeth and by then they need to be cleaned. Good Luck

1 / 3