Baby's Dry Hair

Hi Moms, my 8 month old son's hair is very dry, and I believe he's too young for over the counter products. However, I'm hoping that someone can recommend a natural remedy for my baby. Thanks in Advance

I have often used olive oil on my dry hair (leave it in for at least 5 minutes while bathing the baby and then rinse it out.) Also, I only wash my hair every 2 to 3 days. Babies really don't need their hair washed that often...until they start running around they aren't really sweating at all so the scalp isn't getting that dirty.

I have used a little baby oil on my baby's scalp and roots at night - it worked fabulously.

I can! I use all natural products that help with dry skin. What shampoo are u using, many baby shampoos have carcinogens in them. I'd love to help, shoot me a message and I will answer any questions!

Like other mom's have already said, baby's hair doesn't have to be washed as often. If you are really worried about dry hair, massage his head with a little coconut oil or olive oil. Both these oils are natural and have been used for ages. I personally used coconut oil to give my little one a massage once a day.

You may be washing his hair too frequently. Babies at that age don't require their hair washed every day nor do they need baths as frequently. See if cutting back on these doesn't help his dry hair (and possibly skin) and if there is still an issue only then would I try a conditioner or use something more natural on his hair. Good luck.

I work with a company that has great, natural products. I love their shampoos, and they have some speecifically for hydrating hair. All of their products have worked great for me. If you'd like more information, go to my website, and I'll help you get set up. www.livetotalwellness.com/joycita

I have used Suave 3in1 it seems to help I also put reg.conditioner in her hair not much just to get some moisture in.I haven't used any natural remedies she is 13 months with her hair growing it's not long by any means I do want to try Aveeno

If you wash his hair, do it less or do not use shampoo. Vinegar (surprisingly) can help with dry hair. see- http://health.howstuffworks.com/home-remedies-for-dry-hai...
Also- you could give him an oil treatment with some oil you have in the frig, like walnut or sesame or whatever you have.

Good Luck,
D. Koprowski
Free Positive Parenting Course- www.freetobeparenting.com

Me and my fiance are both hairdressers and the best thing that I know of would by Paul Mithcell called baby don't cry. It has the same P.H. has your baby's eyes and has completely safe. It smells great and feels good

I would leave it alone. Its annoying for you, but his scalp will kick into gear and provide enough oil for his hair.
What are you using to wash his hair? Lots of products contain harsh chemicals that strip hair bare. When they're young, you really only need water and a little natural soap.

I actually started using Soft and Precious on my daughter at around 6 months. It's a moisturizer and styling cream. It's made for children and I found it in the baby aisle at Walmart and it's only a few dollars. She is mixed, black and white, so it worked well for her and didn't make her hair too greasy. I still use it to this day, and she is now 27 months. Otherwise, I've been told that organic coconut oil is great for dry hair and scalps. They carry it at the organic food stores. I bought some, but have yet to do a hair treatment with it. You can research it on the internet though.
hope this helps.

Hi there,

I happen to be a cosmotologist and have 2 sons. You put a leave in conditioner in his hair. I like to use Nexxus Humectress, it says to wash it out but for my kiddos I just put it on after we've dried off and comb through their hair. Hope that helps.

I'd try 2 things.

1. Wash his hair less often. You can rinse it but avoid shampooing often.
2. Olive oil is fantastic! Try combing olive oil through his hair and letting is set for 30 minutes before shampooing. (Banana works too but it's a little messier IMO.)

I am a hair stylist and salon owner and I also have an baby (10 months old). We carry a few product lines that are natural and free of harmful chemicals. I would recommend " It's a Curl" by Curls... they have no tear shampoo, conditioner and a leave in conditioner that I love and use on my own son. He has a full head of ringlets. It works well. Also Jane Carter hair care is sulfate free and can be found in my salon as well as Whole Foods. Hope this helps.

Updated