Baby's Cheeks Turned Bright Red!!!! Help

Hey ladies, today my 6 month old son's cheeks turned bright red in just no time at all!!!!!! He hasn't had any new foods or soaps today. I did put him in a new pair of footy pj's that were not washed yet but his cheeks starting turning alil b4 that. I went ahead took the jammies off just in case. I gave him a bath and washed him with his aveeno wash that we always use but it didnt help. They seem to be alil hot too... Help i dont know whats wrong he doesnt seem to be in any pain at all but i do believe he is teething drooling like crazy and i read somewhere that it could be a teething rash.... Im a new mom and have never heard of that before do ya have any input and exp with this... thanks so much ......
No fever but it has been really cold here but he hasnt been outside more than 30 secs going from house to car. if it is fifths is there meds for that or does it go away on its own?

Before you panic....the bath was a good idea. Try a bottle of cool water. Hydration helps almost everything. Continue to watch for other symptoms. Most likely whatever it is will be gone soon. :)

5ths. He should be fine. Tylenol if he needs it, a little rest at home. At least you have it over with. It is called the "slapped cheeks" desease because that is the tell tale sign.

Just wanted to add...if it is 5ths disease than you need to make sure your son is not around any pregnant women. It is only dangerous to them, well, really to the fetus. It can cause birth defects and premature labor.

Step 1. BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Step 2. Step AWAY from the baby
Step 3. Breath again.
It's OK! More than likely it is teething. My son was so red whenever any tooth came in.
If it goes on till tomorrow, call your ped and see what he says. If he is acting fine, then he is fine. Don't worry.

I always know when a tooth will be appearing on my son because his cheeks get very red. In fact, the cheek on the side where he is about to get the tooth is the one that gets really red. I bet with all that drooling he is going to be breaking a tooth very soon.

whenever this happens to my 10 month old its a fever..or teething..

Could be. Or it could be 5th disease. (Also called "slapped cheeks disease" I think?). It is virtually harmless... and it has been years since my kids had it. But it is a common childhood illness. The slapped cheek look and the absence of (and either a previous or later fever, can't remember which it is) of fever are the giveaways. It is pretty contagious.. and kids get it and pass it around very easily.

Have you been around anyone's little kids recently? Half my son's 1st grade class all got it within a week of finding out my son had it. He caught it from another kid in the class that had had it a few days before that...

Or, chapped cheeks (from excessive drooling) can be pretty pink.

It's highly likely to be FIfth disease. We just had it go through the house. Once the rash is evindent they are no longer contagious. The contagious period is before the rash, Typically you think they just have a cold with a fever. But in young children they don't even have that all the time. When it is a worry is in pregnant women, it can cause serious issues and if you get it as an adult, especially a woman it can be very painful in the joints and itch pretty bad. The rash can also cause temporary anemia. Most of the time it's not a big deal but it can be an issue in the already compromised.
My daughter got it first, she was..um..18 months old? I got it next..not too fun but survivable ;) One of my sons got it but never the other. Not everyone gets symptoms so he might have been one of the lucky ones.
Keep an eye out for a lacy rash on other parts of his body.
There is nothing at all they can do for it. It's caused by a virus. I think you can give benedryl for any itching. My daughter could care less, it didn't phase her at all. Me on the other hand :(

1 / 3