Baby's Age for Starting Different Foods

My granddaughter is 6 months old & has just started on veggies, her mom says doctor has not given her any info on when to start her on other foods & how often. Right now she only gets veggies at supper time, only a bottle rest of day. I think she can give her the veggies & fruits at noon & supper.
Does anyone have a guide I could give her.

I agree with another poster who said the baby needs to get most of their nutrition from mother's milk or formula at this age. I have even seen studies that watched babies who were given cereal, etc. before 6 months and the earlier and more often they were fed solids the more likely they were to have issues with diabetes, obesity, etc. later on in life. So just take it slow, even though it's fun to see babies enjoying new foods! I also agree that giving veggies before fruits is a good idea, even though most doctors say it's no big deal either way. I did veggies first with my kiddos and they all love their vegetables!

D.,

The guideline have used is introducing cereal around 6 months and then introducing a new vegetable and then fruit every few days. The reason for doing only one new items every few days (as much as a week apart) is to watch for food allergies. By about 8-9 months you can start introducing soft table foods like noodles and chicken, etc. Keep building from there.

Hope that helps.

Hi D.,
I nursed my kids and at 6 months we started rice cereal once a day. After a few weeks we mixed the cereal with a fruit. We started a veggie after a few weeks. Our ped. said to wait until 9 months to start on meats and juice. If we did give a juice that day it was only a few onces and we always watered it down. Remember that at 6 months your granddaughter still needs to be getting most of her nutrition from nursing or formula. Good luck.

D.,

Hope that helps.

As another person mentioned, I too LOVED the 'Super Baby Foods' book. It states at what age to introduce which fruit or vegetable and also how to select, prepare, and store the food. It also gives recipes and other information. It is a little too "all natural" for me as well, but I did make a lot of my children's baby food and it was quite easy. I would purchase the book and give it to her as a gift. I think it really helped me introduce a wide variety of foods to my children and now they enjoy a variety of foods.

Usually your pediatrician guides you on this more, but you could try gerber.com and they should list what foods you can introduce at what age.

Try www.wholesomebabyfood.com I found it very helpful when introducing new foods and when. I downloaded the $4.95 book and my husband printed it off at work. The website also gives free menu ideas and suggestions.

She basically should introduce one new food for 4 days in a row before starting on a new one to make sure baby doesn't have any adverse reactions. She can add these new foods to the others she has introduced as she goes. Foods can be given at any time of the day, but I can see why she would want only evenings if she is only doing one meal a day...to keep baby fuller over night.

I started with one meal a day at first until I had a few foods that I knew she could eat without any problems. In just a couple of weeks, I fed our baby one meal 3x's a day, now that she is 9 months old, she has 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.

For a meal, I put in 1 tablespoon of cereal, 1 scoop of formula (I breastfeed and wanted to supplement the baby's iron), and 2 cubes of homemade baby food (usually a fruit and veggie combo).

Homemade baby food is SUPER easy and much CHEAPER. The three quickest fruits I do is applesauce, peaches, and pears. I buy the NATURAL 46 oz. of Motts or Musselmans applesauce (it's the same applesauce as baby applesauce for a fraction of the cost!) and freeze it into ice cube trays. After frozen, I put in a gallon sized freezer bag to store. I found Walmart (GreatValue brand) has naturally sweetened, no sugar added peaches and pears in a can (fresh is better, but these work great). I pour the pear juice that surrounds the fruit into ice trays to freeze and use for sippy cup. I puree the fruit and freeze and store in freezer bags as well. The quick veggies I've found is the frozen bags of veggies that I steam and then puree and then freeze. Fresh veggies at farmers' markets are a very economical solution in the summer.

I hope this is helpful. Also, I think there have been others who have asked this question before, so you may want to read their answers in the archive section...if you get time after getting a ton of responses! :)

I started both of my children on cereal by 3 months. At 6-months, they both got veggies and fruit for lunch and dinner and some meat, after I doctored it. I also gave them some milk from a glass at that age and it was whole milk right out of the refrigerator. They only received one bottle a day and that was when they went to bed at night and both gave it up by 10 months. They are both very healthy adults and there is not too much they won't eat. I did the same for my youngest grand-daughter when we would have her. She will take a sippy cup, but believe me, she would rather have me tip a glass for her. She is now 20 months and doing great.

My doctor gave us a sheet about starting solids plus I am now working on feeding solids to my second child. The sheet says to start with rice ceral, oatmeal ceral and barley ceral. I never have given etihter of my children barley ceral becasue most kids seem not to like it. Then you can give veggies and the sheet suggest to start with orange veggies such as squash, sweet potatoes and carrots. Then add fruits and the fruit I always start with is applesauce. It suggests giving a new food every 2 to 3 days so you can make sure there are no allergic reactions. It also says that within 2 or 3 months of starting solid food your baby's diet should include the following foods given over three meals: Breast milk or formula, ceral, vegetables, meats and fruits.

Finger foods are good once your baby can sit up. It helps them to learn to feed themselves. To avoid choking make sure you give your baby soft, easy to swallow, and cut into small pieces such as well cooked squash, peas, potatoes, and small pieces of wafer-type cookies or crackers.

My daughter is seven months and I feed her some finger food at breakfast and dinner so she can practice eating along with her rice ceral or oatmeal made with formula and I mix in either the fruit or the veggie of the meal because she hates the plain ceral. I also offer her a bottle which is usually the 4or 5 ozs. left over formula from making the ceral.

Hope this helps!

1 / 3