Baby's Abdomen Is Measuring Smaller Then the Rest of His Body

I am 39 years old and struggled to get pregnant for the last 4 years. I did in vitro and I am currently 24 weeks. I went to a specialist for my first ultra sound when I was 19 weeks and everything was measuring out fine and my baby was at the 50% in weight. However, I just went back for another check up at 23 weeks and my baby's abdominal area is measuring 2 weeks behind the rest of his body, and he is also within the 22 percentile for weight out of 50% which is the average range. Has anyone had something similar happen to them, and if so, what was the outcome?

I personally want to thank each and every one of you for sharing your thoughts and stories with me. It is comforting to know that I am not alone! I will keep you posted on the outcome. My next ultra sound is scheduled for August 7th. I am hoping to hear good news and that everything is measuring right where it's suppose to be. Thanks again!

Hi, S.,

The stats you posted don't sound alarming in and of themselves. (My kids almost always seemed small, and still are, but are quite energetic as toddlers.) If you are worried and don't have a perinatologist, I recommend that you call mine, Khalil Tabsh, who is the head of obstetrics at UCLA.

L. E

First, I want to say what happened to me is not necessarily happening to you. BUT, it's something to be aware of. I read your post and kind of froze in my tracks.

In 2007, I was pregnant with twin girls. At my 20 week ultrasound they were both measuring fine, looked beautiful and there was nothing suspected to be wrong. Three weeks later at my doctor appt, they both were measuring with stomachs that hadn't grown since the last appt, but the rest of them had. My doctor put me on modified bedrest for the next two weeks to see if that would help.

A week into bedrest I called my doctor. I didn't feel right. My urine was dark, I was bruising, and I just didn't feel like things were ok.

I was right. I was admitted to the hospital one day before I turned 24 weeks and later that night delivered my two girls. I had to since I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia and severe HELLP syndrome. If I hadn't delivered, I would have died. Unfortunately, my little girls were too small and too premature and didn't make it.

This may not be the case with you at ALL, but please watch out for the following things...any of them...not all symptoms appear in all women...they certainly didn't with me!

-Swelling, particularly in the hands and feet
-headaches that don't go away with Tylenol
-visual disturbances, floaters, any change in vision
-dark urine
-high blood pressure (over 140 or over 90)
-pain underneath your right ribcage or pain that radiates to your right shoulder
-any excessive bruising
-bloody noses
-just a feeling that things aren't right

Calling my doctor that day saved my life, even though it couldn't save my babies. In case you are wondering...the reason their stomachs were smaller (in my case) was they weren't getting the food they needed. The placenta wasn't supplying them with enough...with pre-e the veins constrict and the flow of blood and nutrients is compromised.

Anyway...I truly hope that everything goes well...watch for symptoms and call your doctor and demand to see them if you have even the slightest concern that there is something wrong with you or your baby.

I would also suggest you pay close attention to movement...any decrease in movement of your baby and you should also immediately call your doctor. I really don't want to scare you, but had to share my story...it's too important not to...

Best of wishes to you and your baby!

-M

Hi, I got pregnant with my son when I was 39 years old too! I know how hard it after struggling so when you hear anything that might sound bad you can get scared. I seem to recall something like this happening to me as well. I think it was measuring smaller because he had just recently urinated because at the next ultrasound everything was fine. I wouldn't worry about it; especially if your OB/RE wasn't concerned!! Good luck and enjoy this time!!

you may have intra uterine growth restriction/ retardation. iugr. i had this with my first birth (son). basically, your placenta may not be getting enough nutrients to your baby. the small abdomen is of concern, but not as concerning as a small head. you can measure 1 week behind in your first trimester, 2 weeks behind in your second, and 3 weeks behind in your 3rd. did the doc schedule more ultrasounds? my experience was at 28 weeks, my son was tiny. like the 1st percentile. he was also nearly 3 weeks behind. i was closely monitored for the next 6 weeks- bi weekly sonograms, twice a week to measure the heart beat and fluids, and at 34 weeks, i was induced. i delivered vaginally, bt my son weighed only 3 and a half pounds! he was about 4 weeks behind! the good news is that once detected iugr babies turn out fine. it's important to make sure the babies are getting oxygen and that their organs are developing. my son had to stay in the hospital for a while, but he is really healthy now.
if this ends up being your diagnosis, you are welcome to email me further. it's so scary to have compications during your pregnancy. i think only women who have been through it can understand. also, i delivered both my babies at ucsd- i swear by them and their doctors. they aren't fancy, but they have the best specialists! and nic-u!

Hi, S.,

L. E

Well, he has plenty of time to grow, so don't stress!

When I was around 18-19 wks pregnant, my daughter's body was measuring on the small side compared to her head. The doc told me I needed to rest and relax more, not stress out about it - if I started to get more rest, she would grow.
I put my feet up :) a couple times a day and even started napping occasionally.

Had another u/s around 34 wks and she was perfect!

She arrived late, which may mean the original due date was slightly off - or maybe not and she just wanted to "cook" a little longer (but these are some reasons why I disagree with the amount of labor inductions nowadays!).

She was born healthy and perfect, and is a healthy, perfect 3 y/o now!

Rest easy - I am sure all is well.

1. Some growth problems are due to allergies. NAET.com for allergy eliminations.

2. If the body hasn't normalized once all allergies are eliminated and the after the body has been completely detoxed, you may want to consider that your child has the incorrect background - satellite sytem. I would try NAET.com first and go from there. I don't have enough information on satellites yet to give you the in's and outs.

Be well.

N.

I have no advice as I've never shared your experience. Just wanted to send prayers and encouragement your way. May God bless you and your baby.

My little boy was always a source of worry as he was always in the 5% bracket and I thought that he was too skinny. Those scales are based on the east coast by children who have a much heavier diet and are slightly fatter. I would watch as it's not good to ignore things (If your concerned) but if you little one is growing, and is good in height, I'd say... "Take it with a grain of salt" my boy is now 3 years old, still skinny, but healthy as ever. Best Wishes...

1 / 3