Baby Sweating

my baby boy is a week old and has woke up at night with a onsie drenched in sweat - he is not running a fever and this does not happen any other time of day only at night - has anyone else had this happen and any suggestions - I have dressed him only in a onsie and then covered in a blanket but still seems to sweat

placed a call to the doctor but they said as long as only happening while sleeping and no fever he is ok - they can sweat a lot when they are in a deep sleep - I decided that it could be because the mattress pad is plastic to put a terry cloth cover on and thought that might help - it did the trick - baby had a good nights sleep and was dry ! problem solved thanks for all your advice

I have a three week old and soon after we brought him home we were worried that he may have a fever (anxiety ridden first time mom!) so we took his temp and he was fine. A couple of days later my sister was holding him and though he peed on her - realized he is just a warm blooded little boy. We have all of these thick sleepers for him, but he is too warm for them - cotton sleeping gowns are best for him. There have been a couple of times we did realize he had peed also - hard to tell sometimes! I think we are starting to master getting the diaper on snug enough on top. Good luck and congrats!

What is the temp in your house, this may sound weird but my peditrician told me when my son was born to keep the house around 70 degrees. Babies can't regulate there own temp. I thought this was weird and I was constantly checking to see if he was cold. It worked for me...

Not sure about the sweat thing, but I've found that the best way to judge whether your baby is too warm or cold is to feel their hands and feet. They should be cool/normal, but not hot or cold. Also, the plastic covered mattresses don't breathe, as mentioned by other posters, so your boy may be sweaty on his back because of that.

I don't mean to be too serious cause I am a new mom and don't experience but that would be something I'd call my doc about but if his temp is not too low when you check it after sweating, then probably not an issue. Good luck.

DEAR S., MY DAUGHTER WAS LIKE THAT BABIES JUST GET REALLY HOT WHILE SLEEPING. THERE BODIES JUST PRODUCE THE HEAT. DON'T WORRY THAT IS FINE BUT IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT IT JUST LEAVE THE DIAPER ON ONLY WITH A BLANKET IF YOUR IN A COLD STATE KEEP THE HEAT AT 82 DEGREES IN THE HOUSE. IF WARM STATE THEN KEEP AS NORMAL THATS WHAT I DID WITH MY DAUGHTER. SHE WOULD JUST BRING UP THE SWEAT AND WAS JUST A VERY HOT BABY. MAKE SURE THEY LIEING DOWN ON THERE SIDE OR ON THERE BACK ONLY NOT ON STOMACH. BUT IF HE SWEATS DON'T WORRY HE IS JUST A HOT BUDDLE OF JOY HOPE THIS HELPS J.

babycenter.com at this site they talk alittle about baby sweat. I never knew babies sweat.
Another site I always check is kidshealth.org

I don't think that it is sweat, it might be urine. Little boys have a tendancy to pee everywhere else but in the diaper. And at that age urine usually does not have a distinctive smell and can be mistaken for sweat. When you put on the diaper try to position him so that the urine goes in the diaper. Or make sure that the diaper is snug at the top.

My son did this too. Check his diaper, is it extraordinarily wet? Like stated before, is it a leaky diaper? If so, think of switching diapers. Try this first before anything else. Good Luck. Let us know what happends.

1 / 3