Baby Stopped Breathing

I have an 8 1/2 month old little boy. About 3 weeks ago he became stiff as a board, and stopped breathing for about 30 seconds. His eyes were open, and he was awake. When he finally took a breath he went limp for a few seconds, then recovered fully. He was completely normal after that. We took him to our doctor, and he checked out completely healthy, and the doctor said not to worry about it unless it happened again.

Well it happened again today, almost the same thing, but a little bit shorter. Aftherward he went right back to normal, and even now he is back to normal, happy as ever, but we are worried. We called the doctor, and she has a call into a neurologist.

I guess I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there, and if so, how did you handle it? Thank you SO much in advance.

Thank you so much everyone for the advice and words of encouragement. Just a side note, I was not upset at all by how my doctor handled this, we didn't want to freak out about it if it was only going to be a one time thing. The second we called her to let her know it happened again, she was on the phone getting a consult with a neurologist. So it happened Monday, On Tuesday they had us in there getting blood drawn, and Wednesday he had a sleep deprived EEG. We haven't found out the results of that yet, our little man was a trooper through all these tests, and is doing really great. Other than these little episodes, he is a super healthy, happy guy. We are hoping it turns out to be nothing. Thanks again for everything!

I agree that this sounds like a seizure of some kind. Get a new pediatrician or at least a second opinion. Who says not to worry - is she crazy? Of course you're worried.

I would Google it. It doesn't sound like apnea since he's awake.
http://www.ehow.com/about_###-###-####_causes-seizures-in...

Get into a pediatric neurologist - your insurance company should be able to refer you to someone in the network.

This hasn't happened to us. Good luck and God bless.

I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to say that we will be praying for you and your son. I hope the neurologist can help you.

Take care,

My friend's daughter does something similar. When she gets really upset and takes that deep breath before a child usually starts into the screaming cries, she holds it. She just doesn't breath until she passes out. She's done it since she was pretty small, and she's two now. They either tell her to "breath!" or they just lay her on the floor for a quicker recovery. She seems totally unaffected. It's just her way of throwing a tantrum.

It sounds like your son has figured out how to hold his breath too.

Keep in contact with your doctor about it, but I can get you more info if you need it.

I've never had this happen with any of my children, but one of my neighbor's boys used to hold his breath on purpose. He was a toddler, but I'm not sure if he did it when he was an infant, too. If he's holding it, the pediatrician told her that there's no harm. It's just incredibly scary for the parent. The body automatically makes the child pass out for a moment so it can start breathing again. I hope this helps. Good luck.

It sounds like he is having seizure activity and I would ask for a referral to a specialist or at least go to another ped. md.

i dont know anything about this but its sounds like a seizure or heart problem.
bring him back to the doctor. if you get the same "its nothing" answer, listen to your instincts; GET ANOTHER DOCTOR TO EXAMINE HIM.

you have to pressure doctors sometimes. do it. we are talking about your baby here. make sure you do everything you can to make the doctors figure out whats going on!

If your Dr. doesn't seem "concerned" I would seek another opinion. Maybe your Dr. is correct, but that is very scary and could be a very serious situation. I would call another Dr. 1st thing in the morning. I hope your Dr. is correct and this is nothing to worry about, but if it were my child I would rather be safe than sorry. You will be in my thoughts. Good Luck.

Please let us know what happens.

Sounds like your son may be having seizures. Until you see the neurologist I would sleep with him to ensure his safety.

1 / 3