Baby Sprinkle and Gifts Opinion?

A friend of mine is having a baby. Her last baby was 4 years before this baby will be due. Her and her husband have purchased all the majors, and most of the minors and really doesn't need/want a baby shower but has expressed that getting together with girlfriends here (she's originally from out of state, her other baby was born out of state) would be nice for like a little celebration or something. I thought a baby sprinkle would be nice, with some treats, games and a light lunch and a diaper raffle. I feel like this would be a good way to make her feel supported in her new home here and welcome baby number 2.

So, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this but ALSO wondering how you might word an invitation that says gifts aren't necessary or gifts aren't expected...without saying outright no gifts. I certainly want people to feel free to bring something if they wish (she's having a boy her first baby is a girl) but also don't want them to feel like they have to bring a gift/gifts. She's not registered anywhere because they have pretty much everything.

I would have a diaper and/or book shower...she can always use diapers and that would let the attendees know to just bring diapers (and/or books). Some will also bring other things if they choose. I would just word it as a diaper shower to help celebrate Baby Boy Smith's arrival.

I think every baby should be celebrated, and that you are very generous is offering to throw a sprinkle for her. What you have described is perfect and everyone will want to get her something, regardless. I wouldn't mention anything about gifts and definitely call it a SPRINKLE. Those that don't know what that means will look it up and see that most gifts are of dipes and wipes variety, where a shower indicates the big stuff.

Have fun and thank you for celebrating your friend and her baby. :)

indicating that "your presence is the best gift of all" at the bottom of the invite. Also when people call to RSVP or ask where she is registered simply tell them that it is to welcome the baby, no gifts are necessary, so if they choose to do so, it is their choice:)

I think a short note (computer printed and included in the invite is fine if you make it pretty) saying that the family already has all the baby stuff they think they'll need and we're simply celebrating the upcoming family addition - please join us! And let people decide if they want to bring gifts. I would want to bring a gift anyway - I usually get all kinds and sizes of every day baby clothes as shower gifts - like a layette of sorts. You can never have too many onesies, cotton PJs & rompers, etc.

We are having our second boy in a matter of days. They will be three years and a month apart so we didn't need anything. My brother and his wife wanted to do something for us as a thank you for helping them out when their first was born three months ago. They had a casual get together with family and friends and it was a diapers, wipes and books sprinkle. Funny thing was that most people still gave us clothes, toys ect even though most knew that we have plenty from our first son. Personally I was not expecting anything and just wanted to have a nice get together before the baby arrives as it will be a while before we will be taking him out to the many family gatherings that are always planned during the spring. I would say you can get them diapers, wipes, books for the new baby's library. Since ours was a burger and beer kinda thing ( no beer for me:) the invites said BYOD ( bring your own diapers) instead of BYOB. It was cute.

I don't think you should write anything about gifts. Do you truly think someone is going to come and not bring a gift? People IMO love and want to bring a special something to a shower/sprinkle. I don't think they would give a 2nd thought to it being "expected" or not.

Throwing her a sprinkle is super nice. I had one with my 2nd and a much smaller one with my 3rd.

I just had my third baby shower...:0) the outdated notion that 2 nd and 3 rd baby showers are tacky is quickly dwindling.

I don't think that saying that on the invite is necessary , not having a registry will prevent big purchases and let people do their own thing.

I think EVERYONE should have a friend like you! Nice job with making your friend feel special! Loved Christy's answer...she said it all.

1 / 3