Baby Sleeping Face Down?

My 5 month old rolls over and sleeps face down during the night. I'm talking flat on her face, not just on her tummy. I've tried rolling her over but she simply rolls back and buries her face again. I'm getting no sleep worrying about her. Anyone else have a baby who does this? Have you found a way to keep your child from doing it?

Thanks for all he responses. My little girl actually has a cold right now so I could hear her breathing when she was on her face. She also turned her head to the side more frequently last night (maybe due to the cold). I feel better knowing other people's children have done this and are fine.

my babies liked to face-sleep too. really, once they can manipulate themselves around they're fine.
khairete

My little girl did this too and totally freaked me out. Luckily she was a heavy sleeper so I could roll her back onto her back without completely waking her up. An hour later she would be back to face down and I would roll her over again. There were many nights of my husband and I doing this as I was so scared of SIDS. Finally she got the message and remained sleeping on her back. It seems like it was 2-3 weeks of her face sleeping and no rest for us but I just couldn't relax with her sleeping like that.
We also had one of those SIDS alarms that you put under the mattress and they sound if there is no movement for 20 seconds - they are sensitive enough for breathing movement. I was so scared of SIDS after she was born that I only slept during that first month when she was being looked after by my mother. Finally I bought the SIDS monitor and was able to sleep during the night. We only had one false alarm when we moved her from her bassinet to her crib and did not have the monitor hooked up right. I can't remember the brand of the monitor but if you do your research you can find ones that have very low false alarms.

Mine too! In fact, I just returned from his crib (he's 5 months) and looked up this very question because he wants to sleep on his face....only when he wakes himself does he realize, "oh..maybe I should put my face to the side? Nah..." I am worried! But it sounds as though, and what I am seeing from watching him, that if they have problems breathing, it wakes them and they move.
Thanks for this post!

khairete

Mine did this too and I would stand over her and listen to her breathe. Kind of creepy now that I think about it. I know that once they can roll themselves they can handle sleeping on their stomachs. But the whole face in the matress does bother me but not her. If I did try to move her she would wake up immediately and wouldn't go back to sleep. So I go by that rule to never wake a sleeping baby. So I would let her do it and my husband and I would go and check on her like 50 times a night. She did stop doing it about a month later.

Hi! Another Mom here with eight. And mine also sometimes slept somewhat face down as babies. They turned their head to the side. I also propped them on their side with a little blanket behind them. That was really the best. And be sure the mattress is pretty firm. Be near them.

Once they can roll themself over, its safe for them to sleep however they want. If you have your doubts about her turning her head if needed, use your finger and cover her nose for a second, as soon as she can't breath she will turn her head.

Its nerve racking because we are pushed to allow our babies to only sleep on their backs. I remember the panic I went through when my son started rolling over to sleep on his belly.

If she can roll over, she can stop herself from suffocating. All eight of my babies slept face down.
Hope this helps you get some sleep! :)

My kids always slept on their bellies. Just make sure that you don't have fluffy blankets or pillows, etc. She'll be fine.

1 / 3