Baby Signing - Renton,WA

I am looking for a good recommendation for a book or DVD/video on baby signing. Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you!

My daycare gal loves "signing time" and it seems to work quite well, my 16-month son is becoming a pro! (although he saw it several times a week, he didn't start using it until after he was 1, fyi....)

I wanted to let you know that I used a book called baby signs by Linda Acredolo, Susan Goodwyn, and Douglas Abrams. Paperback used is 1.98 at Amazon.com, new 10.85. I used baby sign for both of my kids who are now 12 and 9 both boys and it was very helpful!

Best Wishes,

There are sooo many signing books/dvds out there.I've always shopped around, but unfortunitly my books and such are packed right now and can't remember any names off the top of my head.

I do know for babys that Baby Einstien is great! My daughter started watching it when she was about 6 months old and by the time she was about 8-9 months she started signing and had continued to pick up signs left and right.She is now 2.5 yrs old.

Signing Times videos and books are awesome.

I know many have recommended Signing Time- but I just had to chime in. Absolutely fabulous. I went to high school with the director/producer (big sister to Rachael and Alex's mom). Take a look at the web site and read the story about how Signing Time came in to being. They are amazing people! I know our public library has some Signing Time DVD's. I bought the entire collection. Good luck!

Hi J.. I liked the book Signing With Your Baby by Joseph Garcia.

Signing Time - absolutely. Baby Signing Time is geared toward the non-walking set, while Signing Time is appropriate for preschool and younger.

I know there's two Baby Signing Time DVDs for sale in my local resale shop (Molalla OR)... 'cuz I put them there. My girls have "outgrown" Baby Signing Time. And yes, it's AMAZING!!!

We started with Signing Time DVDs at a pretty young age, and were amazed when our daughter started signing to go to sleep with no prompting from us. Signing Time does have a younger version for babies, but we found the "First Signs" DVD to be a great place to start.

Check out this website: www.babysigns.com

I watched an amazing television program in March 2008 on the creators of this program work with infants -- the 3-7 month old children actually mimed what they wanted -- and could communicate/understand thru signing, which made it less frustrating for children/parents when it came to communicating wants/needs.

Peace

J., I borrowed the "Signing Time" series from the local library and they are amazing!(they used to be on TV) We had already started basic signs with my daughter when she was an infant so when she saw the videos the concept wasn't anything too foreign. There were times she even taught herself the signs by watching the video - the times when I couldn't be with her watching them. If you found you liked them via the library, you could always purchase them.
One suggestion - be sure whatever resource you use, it teaches REAL sign language, not made up stuff for babies. If you're going to teach them a 2nd language (which is in effect what you're doing) do it right. Then if they want to use that language with someone else, it will be transferable.

any of the My Baby Can Talk videos are great. We used them with my daughter and she picked up on the signs very quickly. Just check them out at the library, I would go online and put them on hold. There is also websites that have the American Sign Language signs. You can try http://www.handspeak.com/

Signing with your baby is wonderful! It is so helpful when they are still learning to talk and either they can't say the word or some words sound very similar.

Hope you find it as enjoyable as I did.

1 / 3