Baby Shower What to Do's. New to All of This,not Used to Being Center of Attn.

My co workers are throwing a baby shower foe me. I have not been to one since I was a child. What is expected of me? Do I pass each gift around? read the cards out loud? get gifts for the hostess and bring them that day, or after?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

For my work shower, I opened the card, read out who it was from (not the whole message) and then passed the card to the hostess (sitting next to me). I opened the gift, held it up and then handed it over to another friend who either passed it around or put it on the gift table unwrapped so people could see it later with the cake. My girlfriend who was the hostess wrote the gift on the back of the card so I could do thank-yous!

You already have such good advice, I'll just add my two cents...

Yes, get a hostess gift. A small plant, a picture frame, a package of stationery (blank cards, Target has cute ones, sometimes in their dollar section, you can get cards and matching sticky notes) or a candle. Keep it at $5 -7 per hostess, and put it in a gift bag (again, look in the Target dollar area). Give it to them discretely before the shower begins.

Completely agree with the big no-no of asking people to address their own envelopes. If you need help with an address, ask the hostess to get it for you. Also, buck up for a stamp. I think it is incredibly tacky to hand out thank-you notes at work. They took the time and money for your gift, the least you can do is mail the note!!

Most of all, relax and enjoy. I'm uncomfortable with alot of attention, but showers are a celebration! Don't hesistate to rely on your hostess for anything you need or any questions you have.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery! Congrats on your new little one!

BJ,

Show up, be gracious and get your thank you notes out quickly. The folks who are hosting your shower, should take notes (what gift who it was from),help pass the gifts or place them on display. You are the guest of honor...no need to stress. After the shower, you could have a small lunch/dinner for the hostesses and/or send a little gift along with a heartfelt thank you note.

Congratulations on your coming blessed event.

Blessings...

I don't think you're expected to bring hostess gifts. I have never seen this done at a shower. You do hold the gifts up in front of everyone & announce who it is from while you're opening it. I also believe you are expected to write thank you notes. Other than that, the hostess does it all. Congrats!

I've had and been to several "work" baby showers. I don't think you're expected to do anything for the hostess that day but it is customary to send a nice card to her. I've never seen anyone bring the hostess a gift as most of the time, these things are a surprise to the mommy to be. You'll want to ask someone to write down on paper all the gifts(include specifics of baby outfits, etc. as later on you will never remember who gave what) so that you can write them a personal thank you note and mention the specific gift they gave to you. Send out or hand out thank you cards no later than 30 days after the shower. You don't have to pass around the gifts but it's nice to hold them up and show everyone what you got and exclaim your feelings about how cute they are or thank you's and so on. Bring a camera so you'll have a record of how the decor looks and you can add them to your baby book along with all the baby shower cards. Relax and have fun! This is all about you.

Well what I did, was just say in a funny way (which my co-workers knew I was), that "Okay I'm new at this, what am I supposed to do Mommies? Help me, I am clueless!"
And, the many women/Mommies there did just pitch right in and help me and they had fun too... because it was a fun nice event. Not all serious or formal. Other women like "helping" the new pregnant Mommy at their baby shower.

And have another co-worker be in charge of taking lots of photos too!
It will make for a great scrapbook for you and your baby.... to look back on.

All the best and congratulations,
Susan

I think your other two suggestions were great. One thing I love to see when someone's opening my gift is for them to hold up a onesie up to their belly and saying something like "Should fit pretty good." or something similar. I went to a shower where the mom-to-be put the breast pump up to her boob and we all laughed. But yes, just be sure to smile and say thank you, even if the outfit you didn't register for is the ugliest thing you've ever seen. Whoever bought it thought it was the cutest thing they'd ever seen. I have never seen anyone read the card aloud unless it was just hilarious. And I've never seen a hostess get a gift nor have I ever given one. A big thank-you is enough. Perhaps let her take home the leftover cake if she's got family at home. And if the hostess says that you don't have to open the gifts in front of everyone, I would bet that everyone wants to see you ope their gift. They want to see your expression. They want to know that you love their gift. Congrats! Enjoy your shower. Let others serve you for once in a while.

I don't know how close you are to the people you work with, I was just at a small luncheon (small meaning not fancy just salad, cake and a group gift) at my job. There were about 30 of us and 10 of us including myself were relatively new and didn't know the guest of honor all that well.
I would have loved it if she would have shared a little about herself with us, like whether or not they knew it was a boy or girl, what they decorated the nursery as, what she was most excited or nervous about once the baby was born, how many people in her family had little kdis etcs. just chatty stuff.
you might want to consider that if you aren't super close with every one,
I don't even know her due date.

1 / 3