Baby Shower Gifts

I'm going to a baby shower and would like to pass down some of my baby things for gifts instead of buying brand new items. Is this considered bad etiquette? Would you do it?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up doing both, I got something for her as well as wrapped up some new items my kids never wore. I just wasn't sure what was appropriate, since NOW I wouldn't mind hand-me-downs, but for new moms, I totally understand. You MOMS are the greatest resource for asking advice!

I know I would have appreciated the handme downs as a gift but not for my baby shower. If money is the issue, there are cute things you can get for less than $5. I bought a baby photo album and a gift bag to put it in and spent less than $5 in Big Lots. Try looking there.

I think that it's nice you want to give this family you're baby items, but I think you should buy a gift from their registry. I do think it's tacky to give a used item as a gift.

I wouldnt give it to her at the baby shower but give her a card and then let her know you have these things you would like to give her. She will be grateful and noone else needs to know. I have found that some people see used items as not being good gifts no matter what even though many of us feel they are great especially for us moms.

Hand me downs are bad form as gifts. Buy or make a simple new gift, then invite the mommy-to-be over for coffee and show her the items. Give her the run of your stash. You don't know what she has and what she doesn't. Don't foist it on her in front of the party.

I've done it but it really depends on the person. I'd be tickled personally to get nice hand me downs, but I'm not a first time mom either.

If I was a first time mom I might be bummed.

That being said, I did give my cousin a dress that my daughter never wore, it was new but I washed the sizing out and ironed it. She was delighted, not sure if she knew it was a hand me down though.

I would only give unused items at a shower. When you are at her house or her at yours be casual and tell her that you have used clothing that you're planning on dumping off at the second hand store but you thought that she might want some of the items.

I think you need to give a new gift at the shower, even if it's something small. Then later you can tell the new mom that you have baby items she can use/have if she would like.

Definitely bad etiquette. If you want to give her your old stuff, just do that outside the parameters of the shower. I'm sure she'd appreciate it, but everyone wants at least some new stuff too.

If it likes brand new then I would be if then no. But that's a good idea and I have giveing my younger sister some of my old baby stuff from my daughter and she has not had her shower yet.

Maybe you could give her the used items after the shower..but I would not give them as a "gift". If I were to get used items that were wrapped up, I think I would feel offended, especially as a gift. I am not a very materialistic person, but I think I would still feel that it is better to either buy a new gift or not get her a gift at all. Then, afterward, give her the used things you want to pass down.

1 / 3