N.B. asks from Beverly Hills, CA on August 28, 2009
Baby Rash - Beverly Hills,CA
i gave my 16 month old sweet n sour sause with his nuggets and it gave him a rash only were the sause was. he did not get sick and within 30min it was gone. it just was scary to me and i would like to know why this happened? and will it happen again?
1 mom found this helpful
J.V. answers from Dallas on August 29, 2009
I gave my son some ORGANIC cereal the other day and it did the same thing! He had a puffy red rash just where the cereal had touched his chin. I put a cool wash cloth on it and it cleared up pretty fast. A friend of mine has a daughter who gets food related rashes often and she just said that something in the cereal made him sensitive, so hold off on the cereal for a week and reintroduce it...which is good because it was super expensive : ) If he gets rashy again, reintroduce it later, give his body a chance to recognize the food ingredient. She said it was no biggie. Hope this helps!
M.S. answers from Los Angeles on August 29, 2009
Yes, it is very likely that it will happen again. Sounds like he has an allergic sensitivity to something in the sauce and reacted in a pattern like contact dermatitis. To learn more about children's allergies you might want to read: "Say Good-bye to Children's Allergies" by Dr. Devi Nambudripad.
A.K. answers from San Diego on August 29, 2009
This same thing happens to my daughter when I give her anything with berries in it. Just a rash where ti touched her skin. I've never had any other problems arise afterward :)
J.B. answers from Los Angeles on August 28, 2009
i think it was just fromt he acidity my daughter will get that too. i also agree with SH
L.R. answers from San Diego on August 30, 2009
It is scary when a child has a reaction we don't understand,especially to something we gave them. I had the same scenario as you described...My daughter had a reaction to sweet and sour sauce when she was about the same age. It left an pinkish skin irritation and little tiny bumps around her mouth immediately upon eating the sauce. I noticed and took away the sauce(knowing it was a "new food" given and must be the cause) and cleaned her up. It did go away soon- on its own. I just assumed her delicate receptors/skin were not ready for the ingredients in the sauce (since the reaction was mild- not what I would assume to be "an allergy to that food"), so I did not give it to her for many years. Later, as a young child (since about 5 years old) she now LOVES sweet and sour and just has to have it with her chicken! Hope the same will be true for your child.
J.D. answers from Los Angeles on August 29, 2009
I would make sure to avoid anything with MSG in it. Not good for anyone and especially for a little one.
K.K. answers from San Diego on August 29, 2009
Hello, No big deal now. It was probably just too much acid in the sauce. Try something else next time and wait until he is a little older to try the sweet and sour. There may also be an ingredient he can't tolerate in it.
Good luck with your precious little boy.
L.C. answers from Los Angeles on August 31, 2009
My son would get the same thing with tomato sauce...I think it's pretty common. He's 7 now and doesn't get it anymore. Your son may outgrow it but just keep an eye on it - it may never happen again or it may get worse - you never know with these things. See what the doctor thinks.
A.M. answers from Santa Barbara on August 29, 2009
I would be careful. There are so many dyes and preservatives in things you just never know how a little one will respond. So many people are allergic to them too, my friend is allergic to red dyes, her tongue gets swollen and her throat gets scratchy. I would abstain from processed food like that for your baby, he certainly doesn't need it. The nugget alone should have been fine. But I would be more careful from now on what you give him. Not only for the sake of allergies but you are helping him form his tastes and by giving him such flavorful, salty, fatty, sugary, processed foods you are asking for trouble and teaching him that is how food is supposed to taste. I say it's a good thing this happened, he is young enough that eliminating unhealthy choices now will be a piece of cake--no pun intended! ;)
W.C. answers from San Diego on August 29, 2009
msg will do that, read the label...monosodium glucanate(check my spelling) avoid this and you won't see it happen again.