Baby Proofing a Fireplace

Moms with a fireplace - how do you baby proof the fireplace? We've got the screen in front of it, but my 10 months old daughter wants to pull herself up on it, which obviously would be dangerous.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your great advise! I knew I could count on you :o). Now we know exactly what to do about that fireplace.

-K.

We bought a beautiful chest from Peir one (to hold the toys) and the first year or so placed it in front of the screen instead of behind the couch where it still looks beautiful and holds an incredible amount of toys!

Lots of good advice here, but I want to add one thing. My concern was the sharp corner and edges of the bricks, so I put a thick blanket folded up over the hearth when he was playing in that room. I didn't have to worry if he fell against it. Good luck

KidCo makes a special baby gate that goes infront of the fireplace. Or call Family First in West LA.

Dear K.,

Barracade the fireplace. I used to put chairs on their sides to make it hard for the baby to get through, then just keep putting foot stools and pillows and stuff there until she gets bored with the whole thing and ignores it for the rest of her life.

C. N.

You are so smart to baby proof! My 2 older kids never needed it, but I wish I would have done it,my youngest fell and put put his teeth through his tongue when he hit the fireplace and we had the ambulance and emergency room and all that terror. He's all better now though and the fireplace is now baby proofed! I bought the edge gaurds from Babies R Us. Their foam and you just pull the sticky off the back and place them. The kids tried pulling them off, but have had no success. That's the least intrusive I have found. One idea I do like, if you don't mind it being very kids friendly, is to buy the foam floor mats that have the numbers and letters on them and place them on the "seat", sides and front of the fireplace. They fit together like puzzle pieces and the whole base is covered. I'd do it myself, but I already have the edge guards.

Hi, my name is C. Hix. I have 2 girls also, 3 years old and a 11 month old. We had our house baby proofed about 3 years ago. The company we hired attached a strong piece of plexi glass to the front with industrial strength velcro. It has been very successful in our house. We also live in the valley and never use the fireplace. I hope this helps.

We used a metal gate from KidCo. (see here for link).
http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_fh=kidco&kidco.su...
They are expensive, but extremely durable, and will ensure 100% safety for kids and pets alike.
We kept ours up for 5 years! I just took it down last week because we cleaned our carpets and now I am ready to sell it. Let me know if you might be interested to buy it. (you can email me at ____@____.com. Thanks and good luck!

Try www.babysafetyfoam.com they have a great product!

1 / 3