Baby Pooping in Bathtub

I wasn't going to ask this but it's getting a little annoying. For almost two weeks now, almost every time my 13 month old son gets a bath, he poops in the tub. He gets a bath every other day in the evening. We eat dinner about 6:30-7:00ish and he gets in the tub around 8. I've been trying to make sure he eats earlier so he has time to get his 'business' done before bath time. Erlier in the week he pooed in the morning and I was happy because I thought that meant we were clear for the evening, but he did it anyway. Is this normal? I can't imagine I can really do anything about it, I'm just wondering if any other moms had this happen to them and what did you do about it and also how long did it last.

Even though its very early to start thinking about potty training - we keep a potty right next to the tub, and watch closely - when one of the little ones is starting to poop - we pull them out of the tub and plot them right onto the little potty...and then give them lots of praise for going on the potty! Good Luck!!!!!

Eeeep! I think one of my daughters did once. I did not realize it was so common. I don't see why you can't say "no no" when he does it. This way he understands that you are not supposed to do it then. I agree with Karen, i would absolutley do a standing tub. I do that when i am in a rush anyway...i like the shower head that comes off...it makes it so easy.

EDITED:
I asolutely did not mead SCOLD, i am NOT that kind of mother. I think Rachael misunderstood me. I just meant a simple "no no" in a friendly voice. I think they are smart enough at 13 months to understand. The other mom had a great point that you can put a baby potty on the floor next to the tub. I HATE that some mommies like to jump to conclusions.

Totally normal,as the other poster said its warm and yes its happened to us and yeah you just kinda go Oh well.... lasted for us a couple times and that was about it!

My son did the same thing, I think the warm water just made it easier! I learned the signs that it was coming, he would squat rather than sit and I held him over the toilet. He potty trained early, and it all started with pooping on the potty!!! I swear this helped!

Yes it is normal ther muscles relax with the warm water and they have no control. It will stop when he gets older and can controll it. LOL brings back alot of memories.
good luck T.
enjoy them because they grow up so fast.

It's normal -- all that nice warm water . . and the muscles relax, and whoooosh, out it comes. If it's firm you can just scoop it out with a bowl or something, and toss it down the toilet. :-)

warm water is relaxing. When my friends son was little he would get constipated. The doctor suggested giving him a warm bath and rubbing his belly. Voila! It worked like a charm......right in the bathtub! At that age they don't really know how to control it anyway, so they go when they want. I don't think I'd be too concerned, but if you're still worried call the doctor. It never hurts to ask!!

My DD did this a lot when she was about 2. I think being in the warm bath just relaxes them enough that they do "their business." It won't last long, I expect. It sounds like he doesn't need the bath as much for an evening routine, since he doesn't have a bath every night. What if you give him a bath BEFORE dinner? Or, a little sooner after dinner? It's totally gross, I completely understand...hang in there!

I would take advantage of the "problem" and put him on the potty the second you notice him starting to poop! I know kids that young can learn to poop on the potty.

Your situation made me laugh because I too, had a tub pooper. My youngest, who's now 3 1/2, started doing it when he was just shy of 2 yo. He would do it quite frequently, even if he did already poop during the day. Pray that your son doesn't do what mine did, however, and start THROWING it at me! The first time he did it I was so shocked, but couldn't help myself and started laughing so hard my husband came upstairs. Over the course of the next year he did it about a dozen times, sometimes hitting me with it, sometimes getting it to land in the sink! He has finally outgrown this disgusting phase. I think part of was like a conditioned response; he felt warm and comfy in his bath and automatically pooped, whether he really had to or not. I don't know the best way to handle it, but I pretty much did nothing except gently remind him not to throw it, I didn't want him to think pooping was bad (we were potty training). And keep a lot of Lysol or bleach in the bathroom to scrub and rinse the tub down when he's done!

You may also want to practice ducking!

Many people have told me to put my little guy in the tub to stimulate a bm when he was constipated, so I think this is normal. Not sure how to make it stop though.

I think sometimes when the children are relaxed they will poop in the tub. my son did this two times. one of the times he was sick with the stomach virus that was going around. It is normal to poop one to three times a day. He has a healthy colon,god bless him. may be change his bath time and see if he does the poopy business.

Most kids do not poop in the tub on a regular basis, but it's not unusual, it does happen, even on occasion. It's not going to become a normal habit. One of my triplets did it on occasion and it really was annoying. It seemed like the warm water stimulated him. What I started doing with him until it seemed to pass was give him a "quicky bath" where instead of sitting in the water I'd just stand him up and run a cup of water over him, lather him up and then rinse off with cups of water dumped over him again. It was faster and didn't give him the opportunity to sit in the water and get the urge to poop.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
chat and events within 2 hour radius

Hi T.~

That is too funny........my daughter did it all the time. Come to find out it's very normal, all my friends kids do it too. It must be that age because that was right around the time my daughter started doing it. It ends but I still think you have a few months of it. I really don't think there is anything you can do......I think the warm bath really relaxes them and they go!!! Don't worry it doesn't last too long!

My son did this only a few times. Kind of funny....I guess when it happens bath time is over! :-)
Maybe switch bath to before dinner? LOL But it will probably still happen.
I think this happens to most kids at least 1 or 2 times.

Just wanted to add a quick note... my little boy who is now 3 went though some bouts with constipation in his 2's, and the ONLY way I could get him to go, was to sit for a while in a really warm, soapy bath... so I feel pretty sure your baby's body is just reacting to the relaxing of his muscles, like others have said. I know it is an inconvenience, but boy was it a relief of an inconvenience for us! Try to look at the bright side... at least your little one goes easily!

As for putting the potty next to the tub and trying to redirect your son when you notice him starting probably isn't a bad idea to try. My cousin who has a son 2 weeks younger than my son had him COMPLETELY potty trained by 18 months. Your son may be easy to potty train if he has predictable bowel movements... just a thought. HOWEVER, if he isn't ready, don't sweat that either. Best to let them do it when they are ready, with your occasional attempts to coach him in the right direction. My son has only been potty trained for both pee and poop for the last few months... to each, his own, I suppose!

Good luck to you both!

This is the same reason women choose to give birth in the tub, and that I hear "bubbles" every time my dd gets in hers! lol Very ahhhhh...relaxing!
I like the idea of puttingn him over the potty. If you miss your chance, how about buying a fish net pooper-scooper...it may not solve the problem but may make clean up easier. :)

My boys have both done that in the bathtub from time to time. Maybe a bath just relaxes your son enough that he lets it go. I don't know if there is much you can do to stop it.

Yep, my youngest son would sometimes do this too. I'd bathe my boys together and I had to make sure as soon as I got them in to wash them up quickly then give them play time. We ended up calling it "CODE BROWN" when it happended. My older son would start yelling "CODE BROWN!" and I'd scoop it up with a plastic cup and put it in the toilet.

Then I drained the tub and showered them down. Like everyone has said, he's just relaxed and it happens! Hope he gets over it soon!

Hi T.,

My kids are all grown now, but I used to bath them before dinner and my kids never pooped in the bath. Bath time is relaxing in more ways than just one. Also, if the bath water is at bowel level, water pressure on the tummy can make things start to happen. (I have taught swimming for 30+ years and it happens all of the time). A relaxed baby before eating is also more enjoyable and I rarely had to rebath them due to messy hair and faces. Good luck, either way...this phase will pass quickly just like all of the others.

EDITED:

My 16 month old does it alllll the time! She's struggled with constipation ever since she was a newborn so I'm just happy she's pooping! It's still gross and I get her out, clean out the tub, and get her cleaned up as soon as possible. I'm thinking it might end up being a little easier to potty train her. Now I know the signs of when she's about to go and I'm going to start sticking her on the potty soon to see if she'll go on there instead of the tub. I figure it's just something we'll have to deal with until she outgrows it. And also, she really doesn't like it when she poops in the tub. After she poops, she stands up and cries to get out of the water! Good luck with your little boy!