Baby Oil Causing a Rash

Hi all, Monday night when my two oldest daughters, 7yrs and 5yrs, took their shower they put Baby Oil in their hair, alot of it. Since they went to bed right after we didn't notice until the next day. Figuring the oil should soften their hair and be safe we left it in until Tuesday night when my 5yr old starting crying because her neck hurt. The baby oil had given her a rash so bad it looks like poison ivy, red and blotchy with little hives all over her neck, shoulders, chest and scalp! So we put her in the shower right away along with our 7yr old. The next day their hair still looked like it had some oil left so last night I gave them another shower and the rash was still there on both girls so I used straight bar soap and gently scrubbed the rash thinking that the oil has clogged their pores. Today the rash is still there and both girls are still complaining about it being really itchy. I don't know what else to do. They both have exzima so I can't keep giving them showers like this or they'll break out with that all over their bodies. Is there any cream that would work at clearing that up or a better soap or scrub. I'm thinking maybe a facial scrub but I don't want to hurt them. What should I use??

First of all let me thank all of you for your responses. It was very clear what I should do as it seemed that everyone pretty much said the same thing LOL! I used some hydrocortisone(sp?) on their necks and shoulders to relieve the itching until I could get some Aveeno Oatmeal stuff and that worked really good. Then I got some Aveeno Oatmeal baby bath stuff, I wanted it to be gentle yet effective. I the washed their whole bodies including their hair with it and kinda let it soak in for a while letting them just play in the tub. After about 5 mins I rinsed them off and even though the rash wasn't gone immediately it was much better looking. So they dried and went to bed. But the next morning the rash was gone! Thank you so much for all your advice and now I will keep the baby oil put away so they can't get to it anymore, even though I think they've learned their lesson.

C.,
We ran into the same issue. Plain Dove soap worked wonders for my daughter and Cetaphil for my son. They both had eczema as well. My daughter uses Aquaphor and son Cetaphil lotion. The soap alone should keep her hair soft or try a gentle conditioner like baby Paul Mitchell.

All the best,

I would try giving them benadryl before they go to sleep. Not the topical, the liquid medicine. Benadryl is a histamine blocker and should reduce itching, redness and swelling. Also I use aveeno oatmeal baths on my daughter, she is 2 1/2 yrs and gets pretty bad outbreaks of excema.

C.,

All the best,

C.,
Since the rash has lasted more than a few days its time to make a dr's appt. There could be a sevre allergic reaction to the oil. Washing it may seem like the simple solution, but like you said the showers would make more of a breakout. You can try benedryl cream and see how that works. I hope the girls feel better.
E.

I have heard that washing your hair with Dawn helps strip things out of hair.

What an oily mess! :o)

I do not have a clinical solution. I do know that my son used to develop rashes and soars from standard bar soap. I then started selling Mia Bella's Gourmet candles and body products and in that line there is a soy and tea exract soap that he started using. He has no had a rash in two 1/2 years when using that soap. It is very gentle on the skin. It also last a very long time.

I would not have "solicited" you like this if you had not mentioned the exzima issue. I just know how much it helped my son so I thought I'd pass it on. You can check them out at www.IwantAMiaBella.com. I have a number of bars on hand if you decide you would like to try one.

People use this soap on their dogs with dry, itchy skin. Men use it on their hair and women who do not color their hair. We have one in all three of our bathrooms as it really helps with this dry mountain air. It is a wonderful soap that comes in 5 different scents; Sweet Orange & Chili Pepper, Slate & Stone, Mystic Melon, Grapefruit & Lavendar and Juniper Breeze.

Hollar if you want to give them a try.

Blessings in this oily journey! :o)

G.

C.,
You might want to avoid the soap for now. And please visit the dermatologist, as they might need something to help their skin heal.

Sorry to hear about your girls- that must hurt! I sell melalueca and we have a "gold bar" soap that works wonders for children (and adults) with excema and or dry skin. I have a lot of friends that use it on their children.
Peace, T.

Hi C., my name is A., it seems that baby oil keeps coming up as not to be a good product for our kiddos. I use several different products that are safe, non toxic for my family. My daughter also has eczema. Our household products are through a company called oxyfresh, their products can get the oil out and help relieve the stress on the skin via rash. i can get you in contact with a representative if you'd like. Also, there is a company called melaluca (sp?), the have a lotion called Renew that works great on skin with eczema as well. I can also get you in contact with a rep from that company. You can get free samples and try them to see if they work for you and your family. If you are local, I'm sure you can get those pretty quickly. Let me know if I can help.. The Best for you and your family.. A.; ____@____.com

1 / 3