Baby Not Pooping and Very Fussy!!! Help!!!

My son is three months old and in the last three weeks he hasn't been pooping but once every nine days! I breast feed and I know some babies can go for a week without having a bowel movement. It's just that he is always crying now. He use to be very laid back and rarely cried. I took him to the doctor and they said he isn't constipated. Gas drops have not helped him either. I don't know what to do any more. I have given him warm baths. I tried rubbing his tummy gently. I hold him and try to comfort him but nothing seems to work. He keeps crying and kicking his legs in pain. Please any advice will be greatly appreciated.

well first of all I dicontinued my birth control and that seemed to help alot! Next I use the suppositories and those really helped also. He dosen't scream nearly as much. Thank you for all the help. you all are great!!!

I had trouble with my daughter when she was a baby with pooping, also. My mother in law told my husband that we should try about a teaspoon of Karo corn syrup in a bottle with a little water (warm from the faucet would be sufficient). That helped my daughter out tremendously.

If you really think he's constipated, use glycerin suppositories. Glycerin isn't a drug, it's just a lubricant, but they work great if that's the problem, and they're only a couple dollars at any drugstore. If they don't work you can try something else but it's pretty cheap and easy to rule out.

I'm a mother of a two year old and a 1 year old (boys). I have a trick that may work. With both of my boys I would fill the bathroom sink with REALLY warm water, NOT lukewarm it has to be just bareable, but of course not hot enough to burn. I would lower them into the water and just hold them there for a few minutes, they both would relax and within seconds expelled all gas or Bowel that was irritating them. I breastfed as well. This trick never failed with my boys. I hope it works. It may take some getting use to for your little one because of the temp of the water, but I'm thinking he is just young enough to relax. I tried this with my neice at around 4 or 5 months and she didnt like it, but my boys were so use to it the WARM water didnt bother them at all. Good Luck!

hi there,

my son did this also when he was about the same age and the doctor told me the same thing, but nothing worked. i ended up getting a little bottle of plain gerber prune juice - ( any plain prune juice without added junk will do) and giving him only a tiny bit - like 2 ounces. ( he loved it! ) he pooped within a few hours and it did not upset his tummy at all or make him more gassy. i actually did this a couple of times over about a month when he had gone about a week inbetween movements, and it worked well every time. his bowel movements gradually regulated themselves again. good luck!

I have had 6 children and of those 6, 3 of them were colicy babies. Your situation kind of sounds like that. Gas drops never worked for them either. They didn't even make the gas drops back when my oldest kids were born. :) When I put them in the bath with me, they cried so hard, but it helped them to burp things out. I also pushed their legs up to their chests and pumped them. Sometimes this helped and sometimes it didn't. I just swaddled them and kept them in a ball. You know, when you have gas pain, you double up. That is how they feel too, but don't know how to double up. So, I just helped them. It was the hardest times of my parenting life to watch them hurt and not be able to just make them 'all better'!! Sometimes feeding them out of a regular bottle (with breast milk is fine) worked. It gave them extra air to suck in so they could have something to belch out.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help. I wish the best for you and your little one!!!

it sounds like he may have colic. if the doc says he is not constipated and he still crys like that. does it have a pattern? does it usually happen at the same time every day? If you still think he is constipated, you can try dark karo syrup mixed with water, half and half, that's what my doctor told me to give my daughter when she was having some constipation problems and it cleared her up within 2 days. its cheap, non medicinal, and babies love the sweet taste, but make sure you use the dark syrup, not the light.

Two little words have saved my life with my 3 month old breastfed baby - gripe water. It's actually a product called Baby Bliss Gripe Water. Basically, it is a mixture of fennel and ginger that helps ease digestion. It also keeps my daughter regular. I give her a teaspoon twice a day (you can give it as frequently as every 4 hours) and it helps tremendously. My daughter has had a bunch of tummy problems - sensitivity to milk proteins, reflux and just general fussiness. Within 20 minutes of taking the gripe water, she is a new baby - and she absolutely loves the taste. They have a website: http://www.blissbymom.com/?gclid=CMm3lffByooCFQQRYwodMibngg where you can find out who carries it in your area. In Beaverton, OR, we get it from Segal for Kids at the corner of Scholls Ferry and Murray.

I want to add that we use the gripe water in addition to me being completely off of all milk products (including anything containing whey or any milk protein). In addition, she is also on zantec for the reflux. We spent weeks experimenting with the right combination to keep my daughter happy and the gripe water in addition to the other two make for a much calmer and happy baby.

I hope this helps. It has absolutely saved our sanity.

Best wishes for reduced fussiness!

You know - this is going to sound weird. I personally haven't tried it. But I was told by a friend of mine to rub olive oil onto your babies tummy. It helps soothe them and I guess it works. What I have done is just rubbing the tummy w/out the oil. But if that doesn't work...maybe try the oil. Good luck.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100104&a...
Both of my children had pooping problems too! But they were on formula. I used these suppositories for my kids and they worked instantly! I think the sensation of it makes them want to push it out. They are very affordable, and sold over the counter at pretty much any pharmacy. This was a life saver for me! I would have to do it about every 2 days because the iron in the formula would make them constipated. This is really the only thing I can reccomend. But it was great for us! Good luck!

1 / 3