Baby Needs Stroller to Fall Asleep

My son is a great sleeper. Slept through the night since 7 weeks old. Now he is teething so he occasionally gets up during the night, but is an overall great sleeper. Napping is another story. I know I should not complain since he sleeps through the night. Here is my dilemna.....when he does nap he will only fall asleep in the stroller - being wheeled around. I actually have a stroller permanently parked in my dining room. He goes to sleep by himself in his crib at night but during the day, he needs the stroller. I will be putting him into a private daycare in a month, and feel bad for him that he may not be able to fall asleep during the day and get the naps he needs. HELP!!! I hope there is someone out there with similar issues.

I would not worry about it, the baby will get used to the new schedule, and nap. I had good day care experiences when my son was an infant. I dropped in one time to my son's day care at the baby naptime, and all eight babies were sound asleep. How the two caregivers did it, I will never know. My son never wanted to nap with me unless I was holding him, or I put him in a swing.

My daughter was the same way with her swing. I just did what we did for bedtime. Set a routine of a snack and a book and then walked her to her room and layed her down with her music and stuffed animal. she cried the first few days, same as when training her for night sleep, but now she is a pro. Its harder on you then it is on them. They may not sleep the first time but they will get there and you will feel better too.

M., for what it's worth, we still can rarely get our 18-month-old twins to nap without either strolling them or driving them around in the car -- BUT they nap just fine in their cribs at daycare. Your son may have a few days when he starts daycare that he struggles at naptime, but I would be surprised if he doesn't fall into a good, stationary napping routine there.

Don't worry, my baby would only nap in the stroller and at 12 months I was freaking out that she would never sleep without the stroller when I started her in daycare. My daycare did not stroll. The first day I went at lunchtime to check on her and lo and behold, she was out and sound asleep on the cot. The daycare people are excellent and the kids love copying each other so when everyone goes to sleep, they want to do the same thing too.

Hey M.,

you have a few options,

you could choose a home daycare where the caregiver can dedicate more personal time to him and mold around his needs.

You could try to wean him from the stroller before he starts school, which I would try laying down in the bed with him.

I don't want to seem like a pessimist BUT, I am pretty certain that the daycare facility will make him laydown to sleep whether he wants to or NOT. MOST do,but yours could be the exception.

Perhaps you could talk with them to ask more questions, as to what they will do if he refuses a nap, or anything else for that matter.

M

M.,

I totally know what you are going through. My son needed to be rocked to sleep and we had to stop at 17 monts because my son was so big, i was hurting my back so bad. Try to break his habit and have him fall asleep in his crib, you might have to try the crying it out method, but it will benefit you in the long run! Trust me!

Little ones go through many changes....so his sleeping habbits might change in a month. However, call the private daycare people you are going to leave him with, explain the situation and ask them if it will be a problem for them if he takes his nap in his stroller during the time he'll be with them. It might not be a problem at all for them and they might have other ways of dealing with this as well...ask. You need to feel comforable where ever you leave your child so you need to check this out with them.

Just explain the napping situation to the daycare provider. Chances are you chose an experienced daycare? They will have an arsenal of "tricks" to try, just make sure they know exactly what the situation is so that they are not clueless about the first rough day or two. Also, day care may be so stimulating to your baby that he falls asleep in the middle of playing.
My daycare lady said my daughter slept for 2 hours every day with no problem. This was amazing because my daughter only slept a total of 6 hours in a 24 hour period when she was with me! She needed daycare to catch up on her sleep!
Good luck-and don't stress. These things come on go...and then come back again!
M. P

Hello M.,
Don't worry too much about your son napping at daycare. I work at a day care and children just adjust to the strict schedule of the day care. You would also be surprised at how your child will do things differently once being around the children and day care workers and not you.

1 / 3