Baby Lotion for Newborns?

A friend of mine just told me that you shouldn't use baby lotion on newborns. Something about their bodies needing to learn to develop their own softness (sorry I am lacking any technical terms here), if you use lotion, they will have dry skin for life (Yikes!) Any thoughts on this topic? If it is true, when can you start using lotion - and what about SPF block - isn't it a lotion as well? Any advice.....

It's probably because of the alcohol in commercial lotions. Try almond oil. You can get it at the health food store. Good luck!

I have seven children and used baby lotion on all of them. I had two that had eczema but it was not due to lotions and they grew out of it by the time they were two. It is ridiculous to not put lotion on them. I believe it is perfectly safe. I have a 17-year-old all the way to a 7-month-old and none of them have suffered in any way. Hope this helps.

We use Aveeno lotion and have since pretty early on. I'd use sparingly and watch for any reaction but unless there's an allergy, it should be fine.

I have to pipe in here about the use of baby oil though. After reading about those kids who died after breathing small amounts into their lungs, I didn't want it in the house, much less on my baby.

Please do some research before you decide to use baby oil at all. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babyoil.asp

I have never heard of anything so silly! I have used lotion on both of my kids and they are almost 4 and 2 and neither one of them have dry skin. If is a concern, ask your doctor. Good Luck.

I have always heard not to use sunblock until they are 6 mos. old. It says it on the sunscreen bottle. But talk to your peds and see what they say. I was told to keep him out of the sun, but that was 6 years ago.
R.

Ok that has to be the weirdist thing I ever heard! Of course you can use lotion on your newborn. After bath is a good time. Just avoid heavily perfumed ones. Aveeno and johnsons are my favorites. My boys all use lotion and their skin is perfectly normal. Besides, that baby lotion smell brings back memories and feelings you never want to forget.

You've rec'd a lot of responses, but I didn't see anything about being cautious of ingredients in lotion. You can use lotion on your baby, it won't hurt. Honestly, if the skin isn't dry though, I wouldn't use it. However, if you do use lotion, I would encourage something like Avalon organics baby line or Burt's Bees has a nice baby lotion that I use. These lotions don't contain some of the chemicals that are in other baby lotions (yes, its hard to believe some of the junk in them), and unfortunately, the traditional J&J baby lotion which smells so nice is loaded with things you can't pronounce. Anything applied to our skin is soaked into our bodies. I'm not super freaky about organics and chemicals, etc. but to eliminate when we can exposure to chemicals, especially to a newborn babe, its worth it and seems to be a no brainer. Regarding the sun block, again I would try to use a mineral-based one which has significantly less chemicals. California Baby (BabiesRUs carries) or Jason's Sunbrellas are good ideas. A little more expensive, but worth it I think. But, I don't think you are supposed to use them for the 1st 6 months, but sometimes there are those circumstances where you might have to use it anyways versus getting your baby sunburned.

Don't use anything at 1st, keep it ALL natural or use a bit of baby oil. Really let baby acclimate. AND by all means run EVERYTHING by your Pediatrican!

I used J & J or Aveeno baby on my son from the start with no problems. I would suggest being extra watchful to see if there is a reaction or not.
Sunscreen should not be used until 6 months, but our ped said that using it is better than him getting a sunburn, so if you must, you must. However since your little one will be so little in the summer, I would just keep them out of the sun. They make great protective tents that you can take outside or to the pool, beach etc.
Of course ask your ped, but they also do your own research if you think what they say seems off.

1 / 3