Baby Holding Legs Straight

I read in the four-month checkup information on this website that if my baby holds his legs straight rather than bouncing when he's standing, I should tell the doctor. Which I'll do when we go in, but until then, does anyone know why this is a concern or what it could mean? I want to know how worried I should be. Thanks!

G.

Well, Oliver had his four-month today, and the doctor said that holding his legs straight is perfectly normal. He said they'd worry if he were floppy and didn't try to hold himself up. So, thank you everyone for your reassurance!

P.S. Oliver checked out great! He was in such a good mood, he even giggled at the doctor. He wasn't too happy about the shots, but was smiling again in five minutes.

you found that on baby center.com huh!?:) Probably just a developmental milestone and not all baies reach certain ones at the same time. The more you read the easier it is to get worried isn't it!? I do the same thing.

Hi G.,

I am wondering if babycenter was meaning that you should tell your doctor if your baby has rigid legs when lying down? Standing with legs somewhat locked, is a normal infant reflex in response to pressure on the bottom on the feet, but rigid legs that cross like scissors, when lying down, could indicate a neurological disorder. (don't worry, doesn't sound like you are describing that) Does he bend his legs on his own when he is lying down? Ask your pediatrician about this for your own peace of mind, but until then don't worry.

Wow I've never heard of such. My daughter was standing straight & strong at a little over 3 months & everyone was excited about how strong her legs were. I've NEVER heard about it being a bad thing. To me it sounds like he's just learning how to lock his leg(s), if he kept it that straight 24/7 then sure but if he's only doing it when you're prompting him to stand, I wouldn't worry a bit. You'll have to let us know what the doc says if you bring it up at the visit.
L. (mom to 4 ranging from 6.5 to 9mo)

Hello G.,

This is the first time i have heard of that. I am not sure, but when you find out please let me know because my 4 month old does that too hmmmmm???

G.,

I also wouldn't worry about it. My daughter wasn't in a bouncer or walker at that age so I didn't have to deal with that, but I can tell you that from birth until she started walking she always locked her legs straight when she was pooping. And even then, it wasn't anything to be concerned about. When she did finally get in a walker/bouncer at around 6 months old, she did bend her legs, but she also locked them on occasion, too. It's a normal practice and part of growing up :)

all my kids held there legs straight and nothing was wrong with them. they loved to stand and hold them selves up so i would not worrie about it to much .

I've never heard of that! My Jack didn't really bounce until he was about 5 or 6 months... he would stand up straight instead. Huh. He's fine - he is crawling everywhere and walking along stuff... Hope all is well with your little. Everything else seeming fine?

Hi G.
I with everyone else here. I have never heard of that :) My little Max is 8 months old....tomorrow :( and he never bounced intill recently, and now he wont stop! You can still ask your Dr. at his next appt. but dont worry about it. He is a nice strong legged baby :)

1 / 3