Baby Has to Wear Helmet

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a child that had to wear a helmet. I have heard a lot of horror stories where the baby is constantly crying when wearing it. I know it is for the best, but would like to hear some good stories :)

My own child does not wear one but an infant in my room at day care has one on. His parents painted it like their favorite football helmet and it looks real cute. It does not bother the baby at all in fact it has saved him on a few falls (he is learning to crawl and stand on his own right now.) He is just as happy as he was without the helmet. He doesn't even seem to notice it. ( He is at the day care from about 7am to 6 pm everyday)

I work as a developmental specialist in an early intervention program working with kids 0-3yr. old with developmental delays/disabilities. Some of the kids I work with have had to wear a helmet for plagiocephaly (shifting of the skull plates). None of them have had any real problems, they adjusted well. Only one child had a rash from it by one ear because his meds. made his face puffy, so they had the helmet readjusted, then he did just fine. The helmet will need to be adjusted/remade as the child's head is reshaped to maintain proper fit. You can get them made with cute patterns (like winnie the pooh, vehicles, etc.) and colors (one family got their son's helmet in blue then they painted on the emblem of their favorite football team). All of the kiddos I've worked with have had great success with the helmet.

M.,
Married, work full-time, mom to 6 year old daughter.

Hello M.,

15 years ago, I had a son who "needed" a helmet. It was traumatic for him at times, but he got used to it and it seemed to help. Those who made it and worked with him and I were wonderfully caring people.

However, knowing what I know now, I believe that a few good chiropractic adjustments would probably have done the trick. You may want to consider that if there is perfect spinal alignment, the head, neck, shoulders, whole body will operate and move freely and correctly, thus allowing the head to mold and take on its proper shape. Just a thought.

Whatever you decide, God bless you both!

My son wore a DOC band when he was young for plagiocephaly. If that is what you are asking, I will tell you that we had little to no issues with it. My son was 5 months old when he was fitted for his and he wore it 23 hours per day for a number of months. It took only a few days for him to get used to it and he was oblivious of it from that point after. I also know a number of other people who have had similar experiences. It really isn't all that bad. Make sure you get stickers and decorate it on a regular basis. I bought things like trains or bugs and put them all around it in a line. I changed them about every two weeks. Some of my favorite pictures of my son are of him in nothing but his doecorated DOC band. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. ____@____.com Take care. R.

PS, Regarding the person who said this is a scam, don't you believe it! I could not be happier with the results and I do know people who have flat heads as adults. We just do not always notice it under their hair. But other issues can occur including inner ear problems and TMJ. My son had both plagiocephaly and torticollis. We did spend time doing PT. The PT fixed the torticollis but not the plagio. I know someone who opted to not do a band and her little girl ended up having to have surgery because by the time she decided it was an issue (at 1 year) it was too late for the band and there were other issues due to the plagio.

Those are horror stories. I watched a wondefeul little boy that cried more before he had the helmet than while wearing it! The only part he cried at was while he was getting meassured for it the first time. It was VERY hard for his mom but they made it through it and now he had a beautful, round head. Your son will do great, plus you can decorate it any way you'd like!
A.
www.romance2nite.com

the daycare i work at one of the little ones needed a helmet to correct her head, & it didnt even bother her one bit, she was still able to play, run & keep up with the other children.

My son had surgery at 2 months old, and we opted not to use the helmet. (He turned out fine). I am a support parent for others going through this, and I know we have talked to some parents who have opted for the helmet after surgery. After a little adjustment - the babies do fine. If you make a big deal about it - so will your baby. Also - expect looks. Unfortunately it happens. Feel free to decorate the helmet. One family I know decorated it in Packers Style!

Good luck!!

My friend's 9mo has one and she seems unfazed by it. She is a very happy baby. The only problem I can see is that she realized that she can bonk her head on things and it doesn't hurt. I think the reactions from other kids are harder on mom than baby.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

children stories helmets