Baby Has Lots of Gas Pain

Hello! My 4 month old is very gassy and cries in pain for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. I have given up dairy, tried different non-allergenic formulas, myclin drops, gripe water, massage and she still seems to be in pain. I feel really bad because I work full time which leaves my mother to take care of her while she is in pain. Any suggestions on other things I can try? I was told 3 to 4 months is the magic number but not for my little cutie......

Have had this issue several times. Kate B gave the best advice. The only thing I would add is getting the powder probiotics for babies at the health food store. Dip you finger in and put in on baby's tongue right before each feeding. This will help baby digest better. Love that gripe water. The benefit over mylacon is you can give it more frequently if needed.
Mom of 7 and many of those with allergies. Chocolate is big gas culprit.

When my son was about 2 months old, he was having the gassy pains also. i found it to help when i gave him some warm juice. if that didnt work, maybe warm soothing bath. sometime a bath with relax and calm them.

For my daughter we used the mylicon and we would massage her stomach while cradling her in our arms (tiger in tree hold, see pic http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ann.williams4/rhidian/onewee... )

good luck

Hi N.,

We still use Colic Ease Gripe Water (baby is now 13 months). We started when she was very little and gassy. It works miracles. http://colicease.com/

R.

We had the same problem with my 11 year old daughter when she was a baby. We used some drops that we got from wal-mart. I think they were called naldecon (sp) The peditrician recommended them and we used them often for at least 8-9 months!! We also took turns walking the floor rocking her and sitting with her laying across our lap on her belly while rocking our feet up and down. You can also try laying your child on their back and rotating their legs in a bicycle motion. Placing a warm washcloth on the belly helps somewhat too. We went through this for long time. If she stopped crying after an hour we were lucky!! Good luck to you.

Hi N...
Sounds maybe like colic, but im not a doctor. Our first son had colic, and we would carry him around like a quarterback with a football! The baby is face down, supported by your arm underneath her body, supporting her entire body and your hand will support her head. The pressure of your arm might help relieve the pain. It worked for our babies..i have pictures of my husband doing this, walking around the house! Kinda like superbaby flying around. Kept their minds off the pain, and redirected to looking at everything, while in the meantime, time was passing and so was the colic.

Lots of great ideas from everyone..hope it helps!

Ask your Pediatrician if your baby is too young to use Mylicon an OTC infant oral drops for the gas. A couple drops and the baby has relief in 5-10 min. It was a lifesaver for me with my first baby!

Gripe water was something I had a lot of success with. You can find it at a health food store. The Mylicon (sp) drops never really seemed to so anything for me. Good luck!

Hi N.!

It sounds like your little one has colic. It's nothing to worry about, it's uncomfortable for your baby, and for you, I'm sure. I have been a mom for 17 years, and I have found that a little peppermint water helps to relieve colic pain. All you need to do is put a piece of peppermint candy in a 4oz. bottle of water, and let your little one drink that. After he/she has drank a little, burp him, this has always worked for me, with my little ones, I hope this helps you too.

1 / 3