Baby Has a "Bruised" Tooth

My baby's 2nd tooth on the top just came in last Thursday. It is still coming down (maybe 30% down?), and I noticed this afternoon that it looks "bruised". I'm not sure how to better explain it...the tooth is white, but there's a fairly decent size red/purple spot on the front out it. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

(I'm going to have my neighbor look at it tomorrow -- she's a dentist., and/or call my pediatric dentist.)

Phew, I think it's okay. I think it was just some of her gum as one of the responses noted. I posted this question last night, and by morning it looked better, and by afternoon looks fine. I guess I was worrying over nothing!

Get it checked out by a pediatric dentist. Some kids have poor enamel and you should know if it's something to be concerned about or not.

Are you sure its the tooth and not the gum? The gum can be bruised om the tooth coming in. My daughter had it when her front teeth came in.

DIscoloration of a tooth can mean the tooth is, as someone else put it, dying (not a big deal if it's a baby tooth, baby will just have a gap until the permanent one comes in). But do see the dentist neighbor and consider whether you need to have a formal dentist visit. It is doable with an infant; they should just be quick and check baby's teeth and gums.

Take him to a dentist. I know there are some medications that while taken during pregnancy could cause this. Did he hit the tooth? It could be dying.

1 / 3