Baby Has a Body Temperature of 97.2 Is That Low?

My son is one month in a half and he appears to have a sore throat and body temp is 97.2.. house is warm enought.. his usual body temp is 98.4.. he alaready has a docs tomorow but hes being very fuzzy i dont knkow if i should wait or take him to hospitial. i read somehwere before that any lower of 97.8 was consider low temp..

That's still considered a normal temp-babies usually have slightly higher temps then adults.

I'd be more worried if it spikes over 103. Otherwise a fever is the bodies way of fighting infection so it's not a bad thing unless it's very high.

Is he swaddled? If not dress him in a sleeper and swaddle him or carry him in a sling then take his temp again in say an hour. Yes that is a little low but my DD had a temp that low while in the NICU and they were ok with it as long as it came back up after being swaddled. If you are very concerned or he has other symptoms though definitely take him to the hospital!

When I am sick my temp always goes down and always has. I have low blood pressure also. In fact it will drop dramatically also when I am sick. I have always been this way. Could never get out of school for a fever! Dr.s have even said I should be on the floor but because I'm not it must be normal.

Updated

That is within the range of normal temperatures. Bundling him up will warm him up. I've not heard of any illness associated with a low temperature. If your main concern is the temperature, 97.2 is OK.

My normal body temp is 97.3 to 97.8 through out the day. But I would always ask the doc if this was an issue to be concerned about. He could need medical treatment since he is acting fuzzy.

More likely, it was an inaccurate measurement. You don't mention where you are measuring. On average, a rectal temperature will read a degree hotter than true, and an axillary (under the arm) temperature will read a degree cooler than true...and ear temperatures, unless done by a professional, are totally inaccurate. Being warm blooded, we are able to regulate our own body temperature...I'm sure he's okay!!! :)

You should call his doctor and let him or her know.

You will need to go to the ER if your newborn:
-has a temp. of 100.4 or higher rectally
-has a temp of 96.8 or lower rectally
-if he is refusing feeds
-if his color seems off
-if he is acting sick in any way.

But you need to call his doctor!

I wouldn't do anything. Just wrap him up in a blanket and snuggle him close until he's nice and toasty. He'll warm up if he's too cold. Then if he starts running a fever, I'd get worried. My kids have had their temps taken and been that low at the drs office. Never been a worry...odds are it's not the true temp anyway...and if he's sick, the normal response would be to get hot, not cold. In a newborn, snuggle him close and warm him up if needed. If he's cold, I wouldn't think it's due to illness - just due to not being warm enough.

1 / 3