Baby Hair Care

Hi ladies,My 7 month old was born with lots of hair.  She has already had 3-4 haircuts.  The problem is that her hair gets really snarled in the back when she sleeps or rides in her car seat.  It is really difficulf to comb through.  I don't want to put product in her hair because of her age.  Am I washing her hair too often?  Is it just her hair type? Other solutions?

There are a lot of products now that are tear free 2 & 1 (shampoo & conditioner) that I use on both of my girls. I also would use a grown up conditioner JUST in that little spot in the back of the head. It REALLY helps.

Hi K.!

My daughter has lots of hair too & I use the detangler from the dollar store & it works great. You can also take conditioner & mix it w/water then spray before you comb it. I found that by doing this once a day it keeps the tangles at bay. Other wise my little one had a rats nest in her hair constantly! Good luck!

The only thing I tried that worked on my daughter's hair before she was one was the L'Oreal kids shampoo plus conditioner that is tear-free, and is very gentle. Also, I have a spray detangler from Johnson & Johnson, very gentle and smells good. My daughter's hair wasn't super thick but it was very long and got tangled in the back like you were saying and this helped so much.

I use biosilk on all my kids. You do not say what type of hair she has, but as a rule you do not need to wash daily. Are you using baby shampoo? This is the worst for drying out hair. Bath and Body makes great children products- my kids love the rootbeer shampoo and conditioner and it leaves their hair soft and silky. You can also try one of the spray/ leave in conditioners. I use a papmered chef sprayer( the one for oil) it turns any liquid into a spray and is better than the pumps that come on the conditioners.

I have different issues with curly hair but can relate! If it's long enough to put it in ponytail(s) that might help. Any detangling spray could be used on the snarls without adding product. Maybe spray it in before putting her down or in the carseat too? You should be washing her hair only every couple days. I recently bought johnson's new leave in conditioner and love it for softness and shine, and not having to rinse it out keeps everyone happier :)

Maybe look for an organic hair conditioner. Jason and Kiss My Face both make great organic conditioners, free of parabens and Laureth Sulfates. My daughter has lots of hair too. I chose to let hers grow. We braid it and do pony tails. You can also use a dab of conditioner as a "leave in". After her hair is rinsed clean of shampoo and conditioner and she's toweled off, rub a dab of conditioner around before it dries. Her hair will probably become less fine and less prone to tangles as she gets older. I've also heard that silk sheets help eliminate hair tangles. How practical that is for a baby, I don't know!?

California Baby makes an all natural detangler that wouldn't hurt her head. You can spray it on while her hair is dry (so when she wakes up from a nap or the night).

Hi K.
My daughter was also born with lots of hair and keeping it detangled is a chore because their little heads rub against that car seat and just tangle the heck out of it. Johnsons make a baby shampoo for curly hair (if your daughter has curl) that has REALLY helped cut down on the tangles even without conditioner. My daughter has used conditioner forever because of tangles, however we can skip that step with this new shampoo. Also they make detangler that helps also. You spray it in her hair and it's made for babies/kids. I have actually found the Wal-Mart brand (for $.99) works better than the Johnsons brand.
I'm excited to read your responses to see what great things other mom's have come up with to help with the tangles!

My granddaughter was born with lots of curly hair. Even now, at nearly 8, her hair gets tangled on the back of her head if she goes to bed with wet hair but less so if her hair is dry. Her mother used a detangler made by a baby products company. Now she just sprays the hair good with water and the tangles come out much easier.

We also use a wide tooth comb. The teeth are "fat". They seem to slip thru hair easier than a regular comb.

There is an all natural detangling stuff that i use for my little girls. It is safer than the others cause it doesn't have any chemicals in it. I would recommend it to anyone.
S. with Motivated Moms

Hi K.!

1 / 3