Baby Gasps in Wind

Hey moms,
I have a three month old baby boy and several times now when I have taken him outside, I notice him starting to gasp if wind blows strongly across his face. Today we took my two year old to the park and I had him in a baby bjorn and it was pretty windy. Once again he started to gasp. I had to get back to the car and put him in his stroller with the little sun shade up. Once the wind was not directly hitting his face, he did fine. I remember hearing a long time ago that you shouldn't blow in a baby's face bc they sometimes stop breathing, is this true? Has anyone else ever gone through this? If so how long did it last, and is it normal? Thanks!

Very normal. When taking my babies outside on a windy day, I kept their faces covered with a receiving blanket.

Nothing to worry about. It's normal. A reflex.
I believe in teaching babies to swim from the time they are a few months old because they have the natural reflex to hold their breath under water. You don't even have to teach them. It's instinctive.
Both of my kids are "fish"....they love the water and never had any fear.
It's kind of the same thing with the wind. They instinctively hold their breath.
It may seem like gasping, but what your baby might be doing is taking a deep breath and holding it.
Your baby will not stop breathing all together if you blow on his face or if it's windy.
Take him to baby swimming lessons. This is the perfect time.
Once they learn how to hold their breath, it's not a bad thing at all.

Yes this is normal! My son is almost one and he still does this in the bathtub with water. It is a natural reflex. He doesn't stop breathing, he's just holding his breath. They did a test on this with babies in water. They say they look like natural swimmers, but it's all reflex. When it's super windy we shield our son's face with a blanket or hat, but he's getting use to it now. 3 months is still young, so stroller with a shield in this situation is probably best.

Yes, that is normal. I can't remember the reasoning behind it but it is some type of self preservation reflex that usually goes away by about a year, I believe. If you blow in the baby's face, they will hold their breath for a moment, but will not stop breathing.

Aww so many memories. Yes, my oldest did this. He also did gasping when you put in laying in the water of the bath tub. It stopped before he hit 6 months.

Ha - I remember this! Just a reflex and completely normal. In fact, it's quite handy when you're trying to get baby to take medicine. Put it in his mouth, blow in his face... He will automatically stop crying and swallow. He's just normal. :)

not sure exactly what causes it but its normal as to whether he will grow out of it not sure about that one either i at 26 still gasp if im going down the road and the wind shoots across the car in the windows but i dont think it would hurt him just cover him until he quits gasping good luck

It's one of those reflexes that you're born with that goes away. The reflex is to blink and hold thier breath for a moment, but then they start to breath again.

1 / 3