Baby Fell Backwards While Sitting- Reason for Concern?

In the last two weeks, my mother's helper let my 10 month old baby fall off the couch and my husband let the baby fall off a bed. Both times, being the paranoid FTM, I took him straight to the doctor, where they essentially told me I didn't need to take him to the doctor unless he blacked out or vomited.

Well today, he was sitting on the floor next to me while I was sorting some stuff and suddenly arched backwards and hit his head on the wood floor. I am going to buy more carpets this weekend! He cried for a bit, and now seems fine. But I am traumatized! I don't think I need to take him to the doctor, but I will certainly watch him. I really just need some reassurance that babies can fall backwards and be fine. I have literally been having nightmares after the last two falls, and now that this happened under my watch, I think they are going to need to put me on anti-anxiety meds.

Part of them learning to balance requires a few falls now and then. It's a rare occurance for a couch fall or an off the bed fall to do any real damage. Try to calm down, you havent even reached the "bleeding" stage yet, it's around the corner ;)

Take a deep breath. No one 'lets' a baby fall. It's called an accident. Your helper didn't let the baby fall off the couch and your hubby certainly didn't let his son fall off the bed. You have seen for yourself that things can happen while you are right there. Rest assured that these are just a few of the bumps and bruises your son will have.

You need to have confidence in your ability to use good judgement in caring for your child which includes knowing what to do when an injury happens. You might want to look into taking a first aid course so you'll feel better in case of an emergency.

Actually, the anxiety issues sound like the real problem here. If you are like this at this age, once he starts walking and running (and falling and hitting his head all.the.time. you could have real problems). My 15 month old has bruises or goose eggs on her head more often than not. Falling and hitting her head on the floor or the corner of the door or something is almost a daily occurence.

I have never taken her to the doctor. She is always fine (she also fell off the bed twice). Babies' heads are designed to sustain a fall from their own height. Look out for vomiting, swelling of the soft spot, changes in the pupils (i.e. one stops growing or shrinking to light or become very big), or no crying when he falls (blacking out). If none of those things happen, I would not take him to the ER. Those are the things the doctor will look for, and if they're not present, won't do anything further. So you're basically just wasting a trip.

I know how anxiety about kids can be. It can be very consuming. I would actually spend time working on that rather than working on carpeting or falling.

The baby is fine. Babies bang their heads. Sometimes they even do it on purpose. His balance is not perfect, and that's normal. What I do have a problem with is that you stated your babysitter and husband "let" your son fall off the bed and couch. By that logic, you "let" your son fall back and hit his head on the floor when chances are very high that that's the exact same situation that happened when he fell while other people were watching him.

Instead of trusting your son to sit completely on his own, how about putting a Boppy pillow around him for additional gentle support? That way if he does tip it's a soft landing or he can just lay down on it. No need to go get carpeting or rugs that have harsh chemicals in them and do NOT provide anything in the way of padding... but are really great dust and pollen and mold collectors.

Don't know if this will help, but it sounds like with the latest incident (arching back and hitting his head) that he's simply trying out new body movements. He hasn't been able to control himself like that before, and now he wants to test it out and see what will happen. He may try it a few more times before he makes the connection that it doesn't feel good!

At that age, they're getting very mobile - it's hard to prevent every fall. Try to relax. As he gets older and figures out that you freak out whenever he touches the ground in a less-than-pleasant way, he'll start to work to get that type of reaction from you. And he won't take those spills and falls well himself.

Ask your mom if she can remember you falling the first few times. I'm sure you did - and you survived. All babies fall. All toddlers fall. Most kids have broken a bone or two and survived just fine.

What's happening is normal - maybe not ideal, but normal.

Your baby will be fine, you will be fine. Next time he takes a tumble, take a deep breath, collect yourself, smile and say, "oops you fell." Mine is a newly minted walker and takes tumbles and spills all the time. He brushes them off, and so do we.

If carpets will give you piece of mind, by all means buy some. Consider getting foam tiles too. They are more expensive, but offer better cushioning and are easier to keep clean.

DS is around the same age and does the same thing. He likes the feeling of falling back. I just make sure he's on the floor and not playing on the couch. I would say though try to not encourage games where they are arching their heads back and swinging around... I think those games encourage that kind of behavior. GL!

It's good that now you know the symptoms that warrant a Dr's visit - blacked out...vomiting...behavior changes...headache unlike any
other (once they're old enough to talk)

I remember my oldest falling off the bed around 7 mo old onto the hard wood floor...my second also doing the same all while I was just an arms length away. They can be so quick! I do take my kids to the chiropractor for just those reasons. My kids are 7, 5 and 11mo and we go to the chiro every 6-8 weeks since they were infants to make sure everything stays in line - keep that neck and spine straight. (also helps prevent ear infections)
Let me say...it's just the beginning - they climb and fall out of the crib, fall down stairs, fall out of bed (just last night for us with our 5yo off the top bunk), fall off their bikes, and with boys the list goes on an on......
We all do the best we can but accidents will happen - just be confident in knowing when it's time to go to the Dr.

1 / 3