Baby Eczema

My son is 4 months old and has a rash mainly on his eyeslids and underneath his eyes. He also has a little on his chin and cheeks. The pediatrician said it is eczema and told us to use hydrocortisone on his cheeks and chin. He gave us an oitment to use on his eyes that is basically like Refresh PM (for adults) so it wouldn't burn his eyes if it got in them. It is not doing anything to clear up his eyes. He sleeps on his stomach and sometimes spits up during the night. I don't know if that is contributing to his rash at all. Has anyone else had a child with eczema particularly on his/her eyes? What did you do to help it.

My son had the same problem. It was a food allergy and it was all red foods. Carrots, sweet potatoes, squash. Anything red.
Just something to consider!

I had excema for years and years. Tried all the cortisone creams, and other things from the doc.

What finally made it go away and stay away was herbal savvy salve by Country Comfort. I used the golden seal/myrrh first then the calendula blend.

They also have a baby cream.

P.

all great sugestions, Also, switch him to soy formula if he is not on it already, or if he is breast fed avoid dairy products. Eczema is inflamed by irritants on the outside like soaps, detergents and lotions, but also on the inside. Children and adults with eczema also tend to have dairy allergies, and although they may have no apparent issues digesting the dairy, the effects show up in other areas. I am always amazed that doctors don't point out this correlation more often as I have found it to be true time and again in my family and with many others. They would seemingly rather treat the symptoms than the cause, and who wants to put their child on steroids?

I recommend what your doctor said and that is using hydrocortisone, and also try using Eucerin Aquaphor. Try not to bathe him every nite either because this will dry out his skin. I dont know what else to recommend since I never had to deal with eczema. HTH!

He may have an allergy to dairy
or other food allergy.
http://www.eczema.org/diet.pdf
If cow's milk is in formula, or
if mom is breastfeeding and drinking
or eating dairy, it can effect child.
Ointment is just treating the symptoms,
not the cause. Doctors are only in
the business of treating symptoms.
You must do your own research to find
the cause of the problem.
Beware of doctors who want to pump
your child full of antibiotics. I had to learn
the hard way with my daughter.
Please do your research. Also, vaccine
schedules are polluting young kids whose
immune systems cannot handle all those
shots at once or such a young age.

There's hope. Our youngest son had this condition all over his head, sometimes on his chest and legs too....and outgrew it around 1 year of age. I used aveeno oatmeal (not scented) and Eucerin cream. Both could get in the eyes and cause temporary blurriness, but would not burn. To be honest, nothing really helped-but when we didn't use cream, it did seem to get worse, but I'm wondering if you've seen the information recently on how most baby soaps have an ingredient in them which is bad for boys as far as ruining their fertility.....the ingredient is not required to be listed on the bottles and helps keep the scent in most of the baby washes, lotions, and even in some wipes. Unfortunately, all the other products are quite expensive that can be used. Earth Tribe, Earth Mama/Baby Angel, Miessence were some that were listed that were "safe." I wish I remembered the website, I have it at home if you're interested.

Hi S.!

My daughter doesn't have any skin problems but several of my friends kids suffer from exzema and skin rashes. I am not sure if you have had this done or not, but I have heard that eczema can be attributed to food allergies. Has your son ever been tested for food allergies? Just a thought! Good Luck!

M. L.

my son had bad eczema between6-12 months the Dr,prescribed the cortisone but after 1 use I was worried about the side effects,I took him to a dermatologist and found out he was having a food allergy to the baby cereal.She recommended Eucerin and Cetaphlil instead of soap and water. Also Aveeno oatmeal baths .My son is now 12 and he still from time to time has eczema . Especially during change of season.He still uses the same remedy but sometimes we add alittle Desitin mix with Eucerin,Also limit baths,Their skin is dryer than chlidren that dont have eczema. Good luck

I have eczema on my hands. At 4 months old, just use water on his face--you don't even need to use soap on him at all. Bathe him sparingly--after all he's not out working n the salt mines! Just make sure his skin is as dry as it can be, because moisture can definitely make the eczema worse. I've just heard of a line called Arbonne which is supposed to make a really, really good baby oil and lotion for eczema, but I'm not sure about using it near his eyes. You'll probably see improvement in the eczema as the winter ends, and he will most likely outgrow it. Good luck to you!

oh my, i'm so sorry to hear about your little one. i also am a 1st time mom of a 4 mo old with ezcema. my little man unfortunately has food allergies (from things in my breast milk). its been a long road for us (since about 2 mo of age). I've tried almost everything under the sun: hydrocortisone cream, aquaphor, cetaphil, eucerine, disney baby excema body wash, Rx lotions from my doc, etc. i found that bathing- without soap) everyday then using the Rx lotion 2X/day during breakouts works best for the excema on my sons face. i also liberally apply aquphor or eucerine lotion several times/day (during diaper changes). by keeping his skin hydrated, the breakouts are usually kept to a minimum....
this is also in cooridination with a drastic change to my dirt. i'm not sure if your breastfeeding, but if you are, watch out for increased skin reactions after you eat things like daairy, soy, wheat, eggs and nuts. i unfortunately had to cut ALL of these out of my diet because i wanted to continue breastf4eeding. if you are using formula, try the soy version. if your baby is sensitive to soy, you'll either have to go to the expensive Rx formula or it might be a good time to try rice cereal.... just make sure you read the ingredients!! some contain wheat! :)
hope this was helpful, and good luck!!!! if you have any other questions, esp if you think your little one might have food sensitivities/allergies, let me know. i can go into more detail if you want!

1 / 3