Baby Doesn't like Gerber 3Rd Foods (Texture)

My daughter is 9 1/2 month old and I've been trying to give her the 3rd foods meals that are chunkier and she doesn't like it at all and gags. Tonite I attempted to give her pasta primavera flavor (it has tiny pearl pastas) and she made the gagging face and I kept trying but gave her small spoonfuls and she ended up throwing it up. No big deal for her. I opened up a jar of 2nd foods and she was fine and continued to eat the new food choice. She is doing well with other solid food, so far she's had banana, cheerios, Gerber crunchies, egg yolk and yogurt melts. Any other moms have a problem with 3rd foods? I don't know if I should just hold off or keep trying. I hate to keep offering (knowing that eventually she will 'maybe' like it) when she is just going to gag. she seems weird about textures. When she was almost 7 months, I tried giving her homemade sweet potatoes and she gagged on that too but the gerber potatoes, she's fine with. My son was weird about texture foods too up until he was 2 1/2, so I would hate for DD to be picky like him. suggestions?

Thanks for the advice! Didn't realize so many babies hated 3rd foods. I thought it tasted good. I won't bother forcing it on her. Def. don't want a negative eating experience.

We skipped the 3rd foods-- Isaac wanted either solid food or mush, no mixing! So we transitioned directly from 2nd foods to table foods with no problems

My DD also hated 3rd foods. We went straight from second (and second-similar homemade foods...) to solids.

Have you tried making your own? Like take and cook pasta super soft and chop it smaller, add a little sauce ect... I made my sons baby food and it's so easy. It might also help her with textures.

My daughter did exactly the same thing- We ended up skipping the stage 3s and went straight to cut up 'real' food. there was something about the texture of the 3's that just did not work for her. She is not a picky eater now

It's likely that, as other mothers have found, that the taste and texture of 3rd foods are undesirable and you can just skip them. It's also possible that her gag reflex is more sensitive or immature and she can't physically handle them. Or that she has sensory issues which causes her to not like the feel of 3rd food textures.

I would try cutting up table food for her. If she can handle that then you can just skip the 3rd foods. If she has difficulty with table food, I'd go back to 2nd foods and wait until she's older to try 3rd foods or table food. If she still has this problem when she's a year or so old then I'd consider getting an evaluation to see if she has sensory issues.

Based on all of these responses I'd suggest that sensory issues are most likely not the cause.

Have you tried tasting it?
I only say that because some baby foods are truly awful.
My kids hated jarred baby food.
I gave them homemade. For them, it wasn't a texture thing, it was a blah taste thing.

It's pretty normal for kids to not like something at first. The taste, the texture, how to figure out how to roll it around in their mouths and swallow.
Maybe try little bits of what you are eating, mushed up.
Once my kids discovered real food, there was no turning back and they both love everything. My son even likes liver, which I have to say I do not prepare for him. He will literally try anything.
I have a girl and a boy 10 years apart and neither liked jarred baby food.
Just keep trying different things.

Best wishes.

my son will only eat the green beans or squash from the 3rd foods...the others are gross :( i don't blame her. my son has a little texture aversion, but it seems like he's gotten way better about it.

My daughter was grossed out by Stage 3 food, too. I agree with the advice to stick with Stage 2s, and start doing some small bites of real, but softer-cooked food. You can boil pasta longer, do little cheese shreds, softer-cooked vegetable bites. YoBaby brand yogurt is really good too.

About "picky about textures" - I still am picky about certain textures in food, and I'm in my thirties. It hasn't prevented me from liking lots of different kinds of food, all over, at home or while traveling, etc. The world of food is huge. A person's sensory response is not really, in my opinion, something you can change for them. Her tastes will be her own. I wouldn't keep offering her something that you already know makes her barf and gag.

1 / 3