Baby Constantly Spits Food

All,

My daughter who is almost 1 year old, recently started to spit her food out. She thinks this is funny. She basically will not swallow anything but milk. She has never refused her food before. I am not sure how to handle this problem. I have looked her in the eye and said "No" very sternly on a few occassions, but she laughs or sometimes appears teary eyed, but then continues to spit her food and laugh. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

L., sounds like the baby is ready for solid foods.. Think about it would you want to eat strained food all the time when you know there is other food out there..lol
That's usually the first sign that a baby is ready to put the babyfood down n sit up to the table with the rest of the family. Good Luck

Try giving her fun foods. Foods that she likes to eat or characters that she likes. My 21/2 year old use to do the same thing until I found fun finger foods that she likes.

L.,

I suggest using the technique of behavioral reinforcement. Only reward the behavior you want to see. She may think that the attention she is getting is a reward, even if you are saying "no". She doesn't really know the difference between positive attention and negative attention.

Here's how it will work:
1. When she spits out food, turn your back to her or turn your head. (only if this can be done safely) Do not turn your attention back until she has stopped laughing or stopped forcing out that bit of food.
2. When she swallows any bit of food, no matter how tiny, say "Yeah, you are eating" or something like that.

It is that simple. It will get harder before it gets better, but you have to be consistent. Let me know if her responses change at all. Good luck!!

my daughter who is one does the same thing. she loves it when i say NO really sternly and just laughs and laughs. i have found that ignoring her (not looking at her, not saying NO, really just not responding) works better. after a few moments of no attention she is ready to eat again. hope that helps.

Mom, babies spit out food. Wait until she is ready to eat, then give her the food.

Good luck. D.

My son did this for a couple days with food I fed him. He's getting his molars in and wasn't hungry much at all. Could be teething!

I am reading this and cracking up with laughter, because my son is 13 months and does the same thing, but he does it with his water rather than food. He will take a sip of his water and let it drool out of his mouth to soak up his shirt and he thinks it is hilariuos. I also tell him "No" very sternly, but it doesn't seem to phase him. I find myself constantly having to change his shirts because he has drenched his shirt from spitting out the water. He still does it, so i guess i have no advice for you, but just wanted to vent that you are not alone...LOL. Good Luck

I'm with Windy - the way to change her behavior is to communicate, have consequences and be consistent. Sounds harsh in those words, but the same theory applies whether she's 1, 10 or 17.

So, in this case, say 'No spitting your food, food is for eating" (or "food is for your belly") when you start out, then give her one more warning the first time she does it, then calmly take away the food and all the utensils/bowls and take her down from the table. Make sure you say something about if she's spitting then she must be all done eating or not hungry or something. After the first time or two, I wouldn't even give her the second warning, just tell her when you start and then clear everything away the first time she does it.

She'll probably be upset and cry the first couple of times you do it, after all you're taking away something she's playing with, but she'll learn quickly that food is for eating, not for spitting out.

Don't worry, she won't go hungry. The little dickens understand us far more than they can communicate back, so she'll pick it up pretty quickly. The key is to stay calm and deal with it the same way each time, then she learns what to expect will happen next (after she spits). When she does eat well, you can praise her and make a show of checking her mouth and belly to see 'where it went'. = ) Or you can say something like "don't eat MY cheerios (or whatever food)" and pretend you want it when you give it to her, and she'll either race to gobble it up or try to give it to you (sometimes it can backfire, if they are being generous or don't like the food. = ) Make it a little fun and the learning process will go faster. My 4 1/2 year old still tells me at the dinner table "say don't eat it, Mommy" just because she likes the fun of it when we do that - she knows fully well that I want her to eat what's on her plate.

1 / 3