Baby Bottles on Plane-regulations

I am going to be flying next week with my family across country and was wondering about bringing baby bottles on the plane. I have traveled extensively so I know all the tricks but never with my daughter who is now being bottlefed. I know there are regulations on the size of liquid you can carry on, I just don't know if that applies to bottles. Should I make a couple up and carry on or bring the powder and mix on the plane? What is easiest/best? I traveled when my son was a baby but he was breastfed at that point, that was another set of problems. Try finding a discreet place to nurse your baby at Hartsfield! (I ended up in the chapel):) Any advice would be appreciated

We just got back from our "vacation" (soooo tired!), everything went very smoothly at the airport both ways. I had some formula already made up in a cold pack and also some pre measured into little containers. I had no problems with anything, even the water in her sippy cup. One thing I did discover though, if you use the Dr. Brown's bottles the pressure from the change in elevation on the airplane causes them to leak all over the place! Fortunately it was just an ounce or two left in the bottom but it still made a mess!

Hey D.,
I just flew last week and the lady next to me had bottles filled with powder and asked the flight attendant for half hot water and half cold. She also had some that were already premixed in little pouches. I hope this helps.

Hi D.,
This is just our own experience..I wouldn't take a chance making bottles early. We were able to get our formula(powder) in small, travel sizes. You can get water (or any other liquid) once you've gone through security. Since there are a number of stores and shops around the gates, it's easy.
FYI, they will definitely take any liquids, including lotions, but are usually not as strict with moms. Don't forget the stroller so you can jump to the head of the security line..woohoo! Sometimes it pays to be a mom.
You may even consider calling Hartsfield to make sure the rules/regulations haven't changed.

As of the last time I flew, which was a couple of months ago, there is no limitation to the size of the bottle. You may bring bottles filled with whatever your baby is eating/drinking. I had mine filled with formula, but ended up breastfeeding on the plane. (I have a bebeaulait coverup, and was fortunate to not have anyone in the seats next to me.) Good advice: get there early. Once you get to your gate, ask if the plane is full. If it is not full, ask if they can relocate you to a spot where you have noone seated next to you, so you and your baby can spread out. They know it is best for everyone on the plane that baby is happy--- more space is likely to make the situation easier, which makes for a happy baby!!! Also, I took the park and ride shuttle...they dropped us off at the curb-side service-- they got all my luggage ready for me (everyone's soooo.... nice when you're traveling with a baby.) Once I got to the what seemed to be a hundred mile long line to pass threw security, I asked an airport guy if they did anything special for people traveling with babies--- he put me to the front of the line!!! Ordinarily, he said they only do that for "stroller babies", but said he would take us anyway. I'm sure if you ask, they'll do the same for you. (I carried my baby in a baby bjorn---- It was perfect.) As crazy as it sounds, traveling with my baby went more smoothly than any traveling I'd ever done. Also, make sure to bring lots of toys and things to distract your baby. I brought a blanket, also, so that she could get some tummy time in once we got to our gate-- in my situation, we had an hour drive to the airport, an hour wait at the airport, and a 2 hour flight-- I thought she really needed that tummy time!) Stay organized, and it will go great. Oh yeah, to battle potential problems with ears and the changes in pressure, make sureto breastfeed or bottlefeed your baby when the plane takes off and lands--- the sucking helps your baby pop her ears. After doing all of these things, both the flight to Dallas and back to Atlanta went absolutely perfectly!!! Good Luck!!!!!

I have just had the experience...it was actually A LOT easier than I thought it would be. First, let me just say that I was traveling alone with my then 4 & 1/2 month old. People were soooo helpful, esp at Hartsfield, employees & patrons!!!
I have a little travel thing for the powder formula (it has 3 compartments, for 3 different feedings), & had that filled up & then just 3 empty bottles in the diaper bag. Then, I waited until we got on the plane to actually make the bottle - I asked the flight attendant for 1/2 cold & 1/2 hot (FYI - don't ask the people at the Starbuck's kiosks, they didn't listen, & it's a good thing I could feel just how hot it really was). I had always heard that it's better for the baby if they are drinking something during take-off (& landing, depending on how far you are traveling), to help their ears pop. I made the bottle right there (with lots of helping hands around), & he went right to sleep once we got in the air.

D.,
I have flown twice with my twins (at 4 months and 7 months) and had great success with the pre-filled 2 oz bottles on those 4 flights. We flew on Delta both times and I called them before the first flight and they reported that eventhough baby formula/breast milk is allowed on flights that no containers can have more than 3 oz of fluid on a plane. My son takes 8 oz/feeding and my daughter 6.5 oz/feeding so I had to bring a bunch of the 2 oz bottles (eventhough the flight was <2 hours, I brought enough for 2 feedings each in case we got stuck). The good thing was that all you need is a new ring & nipple and you're ready to go with the next bottle!

Hope you have a great trip with your little one!

I traveled with my daughter when she was 4 months (now 7months) on a plane. I nam breastfeeding her. They allow you to take empty bottles but no liquids (water). You have to buy the water after you go through security and all that or of course get is on flight from the attendant. The attendants are pretty nice about parents with kids. They even warmed up the pumped milk I took on flight. But on my returning flight, I nursed her in the waiting area and just covered myself up. I guess if you're comfortable doing it, I was because I was covered and I did it in the corner. Your flight might have empty seats where you can nurse also. But you are allowed to take formula and bottles, but not the water. Hopefully this will help you!

Bring the mix and bottles and mix them on the plane. I've traveled extensively when my daughter was formula fed and when I traveled through Charlotte I had no problems getting her water through security, but at Logan I have never been allowed anything other than jarred baby food. They made us dump all the water from her bottles and buy bottled water. It's really annoying but a fact of air travel nowadays. Have the formula in it's original container and bring some cash to buy a bottle or 2 of water. Know that the security check will be time consuming too. You need to put the stroller, baby's coat and shoes in the xray machine too. Hopefully you'll have some help. Some airport staff are really nice and others . . . not so much.
Another tip, make sure to give your baby something to drink at take off and landing so the change in elevation doesn't effect her ears. It's worked like a charm for my little gal.

Hi D.,

If you take the powder and the bottles without the liquid, you shouldn't have any problems. You can get water on the plane (bottled water) to mix the formula.

If you take jars of baby food, put them into quart sized Ziploc baggies, as well as any other liquid or gel type substances (diaper cream for example). This is the same for your makeup and such that you are carrying on.

The regulations say that you have to declare them when entering security screening area as well as when you are getting screened; however, in the two airports that I experienced, the screeners didn't care to see them individually-- they only looked at them through the x-ray machines.

You can see more detail at:

http://crime.about.com/od/terrorism/qt/newcarryonreg.htm

I hope this helps.

Safe travels,

I flew with my son and daughter a few months ago and I was pretty much allowed to bring anything for the little ones. I brought a bottle of breastmilk for my son and water for my daughter in a sippy cup. I have learned however that it depends on the airport and its personel. In Detroit they made me pour out everything (even the milk eventhough I knew that was okay). In Greenville they let me take on apple juice for my daughter. So, my advice is to bring a bottle filled with formula but also bring water and powdered formula. I think the bottles I brought were 4 oz bottles but I am not sure that mattered. You can also call the airline or look on their website. Good luck!

1 / 3