Baby Born with Pneumonia?

Anyone heard of a baby being born with pneumonia? We were packed and ready to leave the hospital to go home with our newborn when they told us we were going to have to stay another day. Our daughter had "slightly" high temps and somewhat of a "stuffy" nose. They shoved tubes through her nostrils to make sure they weren't clogged shut and then did chest x-rays. From the x-rays they determined it to be pneumonia. They then put her on amoxicillin. The next day her lungs sounded just fine and we went home. It seemed odd to me that pneumonia cleared this quickly and also that amoxicillin was the treatment.

I would have originally thought that it was just wet lungs, but with a temp, it could have been pneumonia. I looked it up on the internet, apparently it is possible.

http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,12487,00.html

That is really odd. I would do some checking around to find out what really happen. Request the records from the hospital and get a second opinion from someone not connected to the hospital.
--J

I had taken in alot of fluid in the lung when I came out and had infant pneumonia. No worries. :) I am now fine and 30.

Whe my son was born they were watching him for pneumonia or something simular. When he was born he had been stuck for a little over 3min. The said he had fluid in his lungs from the birth and watched him carefuly. He was fine. I'm glad your daughter is doing well now.

My daughter was born with pneumonia but it was completely different. She was overdue, had a bowel movement inside me and was breathing in the toxins. They told me she was a miracle baby, because they honestly didn't think she was gonna make it.
She was hopitalized for 10 days. She could not be dressed and I couldnt even hold her or touch her for 5 days because her breathing would get irregular.

I work in the medical field so along with being a mom you sometimes know too much. But if you had a vaginal birth, the baby may have inhaled some fluid during birth. This could show up looking or turn into pneumonia quickly after birth. It can happen easily and it was good that the hospital caught it. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

That is more common than you would ever think. Basically your baby's lungs were not completely clear after birth, and pnemonia develops quickly with babies. My daughter had it too, for a day. There were three other moms on my floor with the same thing, so it's pretty common. It's a good thing they caught it, though!!! Congratulations with the new little one.

I've never heard of a baby being born with pnuemonia but I have heard of babies catching some pretty serious things due to nurses not washing hands and mistakes being made. Not trying to scare you I've just heard of things like that.

My daughter was premature and was in the special care nursery for 2 weeks. We brought her home and couldn't figure out why she wouldn't suck a bottle and why she had white stuff in her mouth. They sent my baby home with thrush (yeast infection) in the mouth. I was furious that when she was discharged from the hosiptal and had been ok'd by a neonatologist this wasn't picked up on. I was alos mad the entire time my daughter was in her incubator her id bracelet was taped on the outside of her incubator. I'm like well I hope I have the right baby. She looks identical to me so I'm not worried about that but YES hospitals screw up.

The best thing to probaly do is bring it to your pediatricians attention immediately. My pediatrician isn't connected to the hospital I had my daughter at so she wouldn't cover up there mistakes or anything she's a honest doctor too.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby!

1 / 3