Baby Allergic to Cow's Milk and Soy Milk

We're in the process of switching my 1 year old daughter off of breast milk, but she appears to be allergic to cow's milk and now soy milk (mostly just contact reactions where the milk dribbles on her face). What is left? I've heard there are hypoallergenic formula's out there, but I'm worried she won't like the taste (we never could get her to drink infant formula and she didn't seem to even like the cow's milk). What about goat milk? Does anyone else have any experience with this issue?

try Almond milk by Almond Breeze or oat milk (whick has more protein and more calories) by Pacific. They are both sold at Wegmans and probably both at Whole Foods. They are usually found in the organic section. They ae not intented to replace infant formulas, jut replace milk.,

good luck - also, I wouldn't use the rice milk b/c it doens; have enough nutrients.

K.,

The likelyhood that she is only reacting externally is slim at best. If she has eczema, that is most likely the symptom of an internal reaction. You need to determine what she is allergic to in the cow's milk. If it is protein, then the hypoallergenic formula will not work as it contains whey protein. If you have no specific reason to wean, then continue to breastfeed. As someone else said below, milk beyond the breast is not necessary. If she is eating a good balance of fruits, veggies and meat then she does not need milk or formula beyond breastmilk. If she is like my son, who won't eat ANYTHING, you will need to make sure she is getting nutrients through formula of some kind. THere is a meat-based homemade formula recipe on www.westonaprice.org, just omit whey and/or lactose from recipe. If she is eating some foods, but not enough to sustain her, then try goat milk. It is most like human milk, but less folic acid. My son is also allergic to this as the proteins are similar to cow milk. If that is the case for you try rice milk, plain fortified. THe flavored varieties have too much sugar. To add fat, you can add coconut milk, which is a healthy and tasty fat. We currently use a combo of donated breastmilk and rice/coconut milk for my son. I am pregnant and no longer able to breastfeed him myself. We are considering switching from breastmilk to meat-based homemade formula. Good luck with your decisions. It is soooo hard to know what is right for our little ones. Trust your instincts.

Try Goat's milk. If that doesn't work try almond or rice milk. You can buy all of the above at Whole foods.

Is it imperative to wean her right now? If I were in your position I would continue to breastfeed for as long as I could.

If it simply is not possible, then goat's milk is your best bet, and fresh unpasteurized is absolutely the best, but you have to know the farmer to do that. Goat's milk is the closest animal milk to human milk and people are rarely allergic to it. The powdered tastes awful, go with as close to fresh as you can get. Fortified rice milk is another alternative, but doesn't contain the fat she needs at this age, so you would have to find another source for that. Milk is not a necessary part of the human diet, but it seems to be important to us, as Americans. Try different cultural diets that don't use milk. Greens provide calcium; fish,nuts, seeds all provide protein and fat. Your body makes vit D on it's own with exposure sunlight, etc... All of my kids went through milk intolerance or allergic periods, so I understand your dilemma, but I nursed them all well past a year (two of them to 3yo).

Hi K., My daughter, now 3 yrs old, had the same issue as your daughter. She had allergic reaction to the cow's milk, always was constipated and had bad allergies. I took her to my nutritionist and he recommended goats milk AND RICE MILK.

The goats milk is equal to the mothers breast milk, w/ the same hormones, etc.. I had her on it for 2 yrs, she was fine w/ her bowels and her allergies. He let me put her on the rice milk now, and she likes it. What I did at first was do half and half. so we finally weened her to each, she loves it. If you have any questions, u can email me at ____@____.com. I hope this helped a little, good luck. M.

My suggestion would be keep her on breast milk for a bit longer unless there is some urgent reason you have to wean. I didn't wean my middle til he was 2 and my youngest until he was 18 months. Most other countries don't wean until the baby is atleast 2 because their immune system isn't fully developed until then. Plus if you wait she may tolerate it a bit better. I know my oldest when going from formula to milk had to have soy milk til about 18 months then he seemed fine with cows milk so maybe her tummy just isn't ready. Good luck!

K.,

I'm a 34 yr old mom of 3 children, 5yrs old and under. All of my children had/ have some issues with milk and soy to some degree and for various reasons.

In your case, it sounds like for the milk it's the pasteurization that she's having issues with. it could be the casein, or the lactose, but most people who are allergic to pasteurized milk do fine on fresh raw milk. In the Philly area there is <http://www.hendricksfarmsanddairy.com/&gt; and then in Chester County there's always <http://www.kimbertonwholefoods.com/&gt;.

The intestines of an exclusively grass fed cow is free of E. Coli. Some great reading can be found here <http://www.consciouschoice.com/2001/cc1411/grassfed1411.h...;
and here <http://realmilk.org/&gt;

You can certainly try fortified rice milk or almond milk, but steer clear of flavored products. Too much added sugar.

Goat's milk is also a great option, but again, fresh raw milk is best.

Best of luck! Send me a message if you'd like to talk more about the milk.

Blessings,
Rolinda
Wife, Mother, Friend

Goat milk is an option. It's supposed to be easier to digest than cow's milk and less likely to cause an allergic reaction. You can purchase goat milk from most health food stores. If you are in a rural area, you can sometimes get fresh goat milk but you have to be careful because it might not be pasterized. Some people don't feel comfortable giving their children milk that hasn't been through the process.

Y.

1 / 3