Baby Acne and Matted Eyes

Has anyone dealt with matted eyes and baby acne in a newborn before? Mine's 3 1/2 weeks old and her eyes are getting worse and she has broken out with what seems to be baby acne. How can I get rid of it?

Now, this is an old time treatment for the matted eyes. I was horrified when my mother did this and almost got into a fight with her when she did it. She took a wet diaper off and rubbed the baby's eyes. It was gone and had no more problems until the baby got a cold later. Since it worked on the first baby, I used it on my other 3 when they had the same problem. Now I don't know about the disposable diapers as back then we only had cloth diapers. I am 70 now so that should tell you how long that has been. My oldest is 53 and I did show her the same thing with my first grandchild.

Your baby could be allergic to the baby products you are putting on their face. Check the soap powder you are using and wash their clothes and towels twice. 1st time with soap and 2nd time no soap. If that doesn't help you may want to take her to her dr.

Mary

My baby had a very bad baby acne when she was born. Her Pediatrician prescribed a lotion called Desonide. It worked great. My baby was so bad that she even had it in her scalp. I had to use a different shampoo on her and the Desonide lotion. Within 3 days her skin looked MUCH better. Try asking your Pediatrician for a prescription for this lotion. Also, use pure water when you give her a bath. Stop her baby wash for a while.

It sounds like she probably has clogged tear ducts, if her eyes aren't red. My daughter has that and my doctor said to use a warm washcloth and rub the corner of her eye with our finger to help open the duct. I'm not sure that there is anything you can do about the baby acne. My daughter seemed to have a little acne and some eczema on her face and i used palmers cocoa butter face butter and it all cleared up.

Hi, L.!

Don't do ANYTHING about the baby acne-- it's just your hormones clearing out of her system and it'll go away on its own in a few weeks. Keep taking pictures- she's still beautiful, it's just a very common "awkward stage."

As for the matted eyes-- I don't know how bad her particular case is, but my daughter had one tear duct that would become blocked and make her eye gooey when she was just a few weeks old-- maybe it's the same thing? Just use a clean, damp washcloth to clear it as often as needed. Also a warm compress may help. If it's severe, or you suspect an infection, take her to the pediatrician.

The others' suggestions regarding breastmilk certainly won't hurt-- breastmilk has wonderful antibiotic properties.

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby, and Happy Holidays!

This is perfectly normal for your daughter to be going through.

Baby Acne - There's no treatment. She is getting the acne due to all of the hormones in her system that she received while in your womb. The acne will get better but it may take a couple of months.

Matted Eyes ~ Take a warm wash cloth and start massaging in a circular motion starting at the end of her nose all the way up to the corner of her eye. This will loosen anything her her sinus cavities. My son suffered from gunky eyes and I did this for a week and I haven't had any more problems!

Congratulations on a wonderful bundle of joy!

Okay, this may sound odd, but if you are breastfeeding... squirt some of your milk on the acne and let it dry. In my experience it takes care of it within an hour or two. If it's not clear to your satisfaction repeat. As for the funky eyes... squirt some breastmilk in there! Breastmilk is wonderful and pretty much can take care of lots of little issues like baby acne, funky eyes and even outter ear infections! My little fella is 3 months (3rd kid) and I have been using breastmilk for both of these issues since he was born. Good luck!!

We used Dove unscented soap on our son's face. I was super careful though not to get it near his eyes. It helped a lot. He has ezcema so I couldn't use the baby soaps. As for the matted eyes- warm washcloths work for us. I don't rub I dab. Your daughter could have an eye infection. My daughter got one at 2 weeks. Good Luck and congratulations on your second blessing!
V.

1 / 3