Babies Who Can't Sleep Through Gas?

My baby is almost seven months old now, and she *still* wakes to fart. She is breastfed, and to some degree what I eat tends to affect her, but she has been allergy tested negative for everything including milk, and I have cut my diet to nothing but fruit, potatoes, and rice. She still won't sleep through the night or even through her naps. Naps might be 50 min long and sometimes I can nurse her back to sleep for a longer nap; night sleeps tend to be an hour and 50 min long. Doc says it could be IBS or a missing enzyme or lactose intolerance, but no matter what she should grow out of it. Meantime, I am exhausted, desperate, and confused. Anyone else been through this? It is *definitely* gas; she arches her back, screams, and then passes gas.

UPDATE: Yes, I have Mylicon, and it doesn't work. She has also been prescribed Hyoscyamine and Prevacid, neither of which work, but she's still on both.

As for food, I am on plain white boiled potatoes, arborio rice, and rice noodles. None of them have sunflower oil or soy or anything as the ingredients--although, like I said, it's not a food allergy, apparently. Since the allergy testing I have allowed myself to go back on the prenatal vitamins and also some skim milk. My little girl also suffers from constipation. She tested negative for Celiac's disease.

Thank you guys all so much. Your compassion really shows. Mylicon doesn't do anything, and yes, we've tried Little Tummies brand and colic drops and gripe water too. I am starting to think the gas issue is more related to her constipation than what I eat or what she eats (yes, she eats 3 baby food meals a day, mostly fuits and veggies, very little meat. She eats a lot of prunes). Yesterday I finally broke down and cut a glycerine suppository in half and she slept REALLY WELL, waking only about 5 times in the night (usual is 2x that!) and her sleeps were very deep and comfortable. Today she took a 2-hour nap and only woke once, after an hour and 20, to nurse a TINY bit before going back to sleep--she often doesn't make it past 30 minutes. So I am thinking the relief has helped her a lot. Her big brother was like this too. We could tell he was constipated on the days when he stopped bending over to ride his hobby horse--how sad is that?! :) But he made it through, and I know she will too. He wound up on Miralax and I hope she can take it when she's about 1 y.o. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I *am* going to try the peppermint oil on the belly, and the probiotics! Good suggestions! I will try to come back and let you guys know more after about a week on the suppositories. Also, she has a doc check-up next Weds. Thanks, you all, so much! Hugs

So sorry to hear about the baby's tummy problems. My daughter was born with GERD and didn't sleep for the first 3 months of her life and hasn't slept completely right ever since. There is hope though, and a little relief too. Dissolve a disk of peppermint candy in 4oz of warm water. Let it dissolve and cool off. Shake well and give this to the baby. It so totally relieves stomach problems. Also, constipation can be relieved with watered down apple juice or prune juice. A quarter teaspoon of mineral oil in 4oz of water works great too. You might also try switching her to goat's milk. I promise you, I completely feel what you're going through and all of these remedies worked when ABSOLUTELY NOTHING the doctors said would. Hope this helps.

I dont know if it will work, but I would try infant massage before bedtime. I am a firm believer in infant massage for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the various strokes that are used on the torso, but many of them seem to help. Not only do they releive gas immediately, but the strokes (if done correctly) also help promote healthy digestion. The calming benefits of massage alone may also help. There are lots of videotapes and cd's that teach the techniques. Definitely worth a shot! Also, as another person responded, gently pulling the childs knees up to her chest and holding for just a second seems to help.

I'm sorry that I can't provide any suggestions other than my heart goes out to you. I have a 3.5 month old girl who struggles with sleeping but nothing like you've described. I too am breast-feeding and wonder if her constant night wakings is because of something I'm doing or not doing. Hang in there and good luck. I'm very impressed that you are still breastfeeding and functioning on little to no sleep! Hats off to you!

Hey ya. I have a bunch of kiddo's. My youngest baby had the same issue as your daughter. The gas was terrible when he was a tiny baby. He seemed to not even beable to popo either. He and I lived in warm water baths. Once he entered the warm water, he'd pass gas forever. When the water cooled down, I would drain the cool water and start over with warm. Once my little guy hit over 1 year everything has been so much better. I am glad to report that my family spends more time with a happy, giggly little guy rather than the screaming baby we once had. So, you doctor is right, it gets better. Honestly, it seems to get better once the baby can walk and run. PS... i am also a breast feeding momma.

I can't help but wonder if you should add a bit of protein to your diet. Are they regular potatoes, and how are they prepared? Is it white or brown rice? Today's foods just don't have the nutrients they used to years ago, and the preservatives used are not good either.

Do you have your children on good children's vitamins? So many things can contribute to a child's misery: the food they eat, the air they breathe, as well as the cleaning products you use. They are also sensitive to our own emotional ups and downs, but with an 8 yo, I'm sure you know that already.

Dear S. T,

You sound like a very interesting person and I can certainly empathize with your desperation for sleep. Our son, who is now 4, was breastfed and experienced gas, probably directly related to what I ate, and although I modified my diet to some degree, he still had gas, until a saintly woman who worked at the breastfeeding shop at Baptist Hospital recommended I give my son "Gripe Water." Please try this. You can find it at the drug store on Chenal Parkway east of Embassy Suites.
The first time we gave our son the gripe water, he made a really funny sound, passing gas, and from then on he seemed to relax and not struggle with the gas pains.
My pediatrician did give his ok to use the gripe water. You will be amazed! Good luck.

Have you tried gripe water? My daughter had really bad gas and we started using gripe water which can be found at your local health food store or target. We also did essential pepermint oil on a q-tip rubbed on her belly button right before I breast fed which also seemed to help. I would get the pepperment at a health food store as it was around $20 at target. Hope you get some sleep soon.

S., Gripe Water worked well for our third baby, who had major gas. It's organic and homeopathic, so no side effects or worries about giving too much (we used to use Mylicon and it always freaked me out that that was even a possibility!). Wellements brand is the one we use, we get it at Vitamin Shoppe. Some friends also had good luck with Colic Calm, which is also all-natural.

I would also recommend, especially with your mention of IBS, that you and the kids all take a good probiotic. We use a couple of them, but one we like a lot is called BerryDophilus (made by NOW brand) and it has four different strains of probiotic in it. I've read a lot about pro-b helping IBS.

Good luck!! {{hug}}

H.

My daughter was sensitive this way as well. I found after restricting diets, that it was more about protein amounts for Madi, if I stopped the white potatoes, rice and went back to more protein, chicken, beef, and green beans, peas, etc she did much better. The constipation did not let up for a while, but her sleep improved greatly. My son could not tolerate me eating white rice at all. You might Add yogurt to your mix as well, it seemed to help all fronts for us.hugs, Sweetie

My son had colic as well. The only thing that gave him any relief was a compound called "Gripe Water". I had to go to a compounding pharmacist, it was about $12/bottle, but it was well worth it! You might try that, it has dill weed, sodium bicarb and 2 other ingredients. It's completely herbal. Hope your baby gets some relief and you get some well needed rest.

1 / 3