Babies and Peanut Butter

How old was your child before you gave them Peanut Butter? I was always told not until after 2 yrs. I watch a 10 month old who constantly has breathing problems, colds and in general is sick. THis a.m. Dad brought him in and he had peanut butter all over him. I was surprised they were feeding him this. Dad replied oh he eats it all the time. Just wondered what other Mommys thought of this.

I gave my kids peanut butter before the age of 1. I doubt this kid is breathing strange because of a peanut allergy, peanut allergies are often very dramatic and obvious. Milk allergies can mask themselves as many things though.

Others are right, the hazard (since it's clear he's not allergic) is choking. A spoonful of PB is a sticky lump and could easily choke a child, even an adult (I find it so goopy I have to be careful eating it myself, even spread on bread or crackers--it's just really dense). I think 10 months old is way too young for PB based on the choking risk. A pediatrician would tell them so.

Our pediatrician told us that unless there is a family history of an allergy we could give it to him. The evidence that giving them peanuts early will contribute to an allergy is weak at best and recent studies have actually shown the opposite is true.

Solids were started a 4 mos. which included tastes of PB off spoon or finger. I didn't hold anything back. We have ZERO allergies in this house and we are rarely sick. (I also don't use hand sanitizer)

The risk to babies is choking... peanut butter is STICKY!

As for allergies, there is not one study out there that supports waiting until age 2 or 3 to introduce peanuts. If you child is going to be allergic, they're going to be allergic no matter what age you give them peanut butter. (one of my daughters is allergic so I've thoroughly researched this!)

The main issue at this age is choking - which is a risk apparently until 2 years. We did not give DS peanut butter by itself or on a sandwich until he was 2. We did use it in cooking (cold noodles with peanut sauce - yum) from when he was about 12 months on. If he has had peanut butter without a reaction then he is not allergic to it.

I waited until 12 months for actual peanut butter, but both girls had peanut butter crackers well before they were 12 months.

This is my theory on the whole allergy thing: Unless you are buying foods that are peanut free and prepared in places where they don't come into contact with peanuts, they're already exposed. I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

I was always more worried about the choking factor, but I just kept a close eye on my kids while they eat peanut butter.

My very good friend's daughter had her first anaphylactic shock at age 8 month old, they almost lost her.....
I don't even remember when I started....but I would rather wait...maybe get some soy butter...........

1 / 3