"Avatar" Advice

Hello fellow mamas! My seven and eight year old children want very much to see "Avatar." Has anyone seen it yet? Can you advise on why the PG13 rating? Is it violence, sexual overtones, etc. Your opinions on if we should go see this as a family are appreciated.

Thank you all for the great research/websites and the first person info. Very helpful! My husband and I decided to go see it ourselves first - but are pretty sure that the realistic violence will postpone a family outing for this movie. Thanks again :)

a great site I used when my kids were younger is www.kids-in-mind.com; it gives expanations of why it is rated that

Hi & I hope you are well! Everyone offered sound mama advice! I saw the Avatar last night & it was amazing!! I too use that common sense media & they were pretty right on. I have a 6 y/o old who wanted to see it. We have a blended family so we had to research before his mom took him. It is very epic for smaller children 2 hrs & forty minutes long. lots of death & content that may be just too much for lil ones that age! Hope thins helps! Have a great holiday season!

I just came home from seeing it with my 11 yr old and husband. (Not the 3D version - those usually give me motion sickness.) I loved the movie. We all did. It might be a bit much for a 7 or 8 year old, but there were a few that age in the audience. It will depend upon the individual and you know your kids best. The 2nd half of the film deals with all out war and is violent. Some characters die. They do not show a lot of blood and gore, but there's no question people and animals die. Might give young kids nightmares. There is a little swearing, but I've heard a few rap songs that were much much worse. There's one kissy love scene, and it's not overly sexual. The animated alien characters are mostly dressed in loin cloths. Seeing as they are blue skinned, they still didn't seem all that naked to me. Maybe you should see this first without the kids to judge for yourself how well they'd react. For 7 and 8, the Princess and the Frog might be a better way to go for right now.

I go to commonsensemedia.org to find out if a movie is appropriate for my child. It breaks it down into several categories and gives you details about each one. I read through each one and then determine based on the info if it's right for my child. They rated the movie for children 13 and up. See below:

Why We Rated This for Ages 13 and Up
The good stuff
Messages: Overall, the movie's message is quite positive…
Role models: Several characters make difficult but moral…
What to watch out for
Violence: Characters (supporting and extras) die due to e…
Sex: Many longing looks between Jake's avatar and Neytiri…
Language: The word "s--t" is said several times (as well…
Consumerism: No product placement in the movie, but there…
Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Grace smokes cigarettes.

What Parents Need to Know
This review of Avatar was written by Sandie Angulo Chen

Parents need to know this highly anticipated James Cameron sci-fi epic may be too intense (and long, at 161 minutes) for some tweens. There are several effects-heavy battle and hunting sequences that include missile-launching military aircraft, nerotoxin-laced arrows, scary Pandora-dwelling fauna and flora, and lots of explosions -- all of which has more impact when the movie is seen in 3-D. Salty wartime language includes many uses of "s--t" and comparable words. As in his previous epics, Cameron infuses the action-driven story with strong female characters and a morality tale centered in a romantic relationship -- though the human-Na'vi relationship in question gets a bit complicated, because the human is actually in his avatar. The romantic leads' chemistry is made more sensual by the barely dressed bodies of the Na'vi. (Note: Fans of the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender should know that this movie is in no way connected to that show or the movie based on it.)

Definitely violence. Very little sexual overtones, but just one scene of that. I still cover my eyes on the violent parts. I do not recommend for kids under 12.

Definitely check out the pluggled in online from another response. I go there all the time for video games, music and movies.

My daughter has researched the film. Her son is 8 years old and will NOT go to Avatar. She told me that it has too much content that is not suitable for 8 year olds. He can see it when he is older.

I am mother to 5 children and grandmother to 7. We are all concerned about what the little children are exposed to.

There is a reason for a PG-13 rating. I have not seen the movie personally but I am not sure it is appropriate for a 7 or 8 year old. I have seen the Princess and the frog which was very cute. There are a few other movies out there I think would be more appropriate for them to see. The Chipmunks, the other movie with Jim Carrie (can't remember the name) I would stick with those for right now. Just my opinion.

1 / 3