Augmentum

My 2 1/2 year old son has pneumonia and was prescribed Augmentum(sp?) and he absolutely won't take it(He loves amoxicillan). I have to give this to him twice a day for 10 days. I tried mixing it with chocolate milk but he could smell it and wouldn't drink it, so I put it in a sippy cup so he couldn't smell it. He took one sip and then threw the cup down. Any ideas on how to give it to him pain and stress free?

Thank you everyone for all of your great responses! I originally had them flavor it with bubblegum since that was the closest to Amoxicllian (which he would take) but he still didn't like it so i had my doctor switch it to Zythromax (sp). He still doesn't like it but I can bribe him with a lollipop or choclate and he takes it.

Thank you again!!!

If he won't take it on his own there isn't much you can do other than pin him down and squirt it to the back of one cheek. My oldest was terrible with taking any type of liquid medication we tried everything from milk to hiding it in pudding nothing worked but holding him down my youngest has been on medication for along time and he will just open his mouth and take anything you give him

As a pharmacist, I would recommend having a pharmacy flavor the medication. I work for Target and we have sweetening enhancers, many different flavors, and another additive that will take out the bitterness taste of the medication. Augmentin is one of the worst tasting antiobiotics out there for children. Good Luck.

My 2 1/2 year old had this problem which led to her not even wanting to take Tylenol. But I ended up putting a bit of ice cream on top of the medicine (at first so she couldn't see the med.) then increased the amount of med on the spoon & kept topping it with ice cream until she had taken the whole dosage.

Bribery and perseverance! I hate to say it but a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down! Good luck!

hi A.
on our last round of medicine wars i had my son give me/my Husband "medicine" (water in a syringe) at the same time or before - he loved to help and then took his own....
OR call the pharmacy and ask if there is another form/generic with a different (or no) flavor.
good luck.

You might want to call the phramacy that filled the prescription and see if it is possible to bring the remainder back to have flavoring added.CVS,Rite Aid offer a wide range of flavorings (over 15 flavor choices).My 1 yr. old gave me quite a fight taking Amoxicllin but once I had a grape flavoring added it was much easier.Hope that helps.Good luck and hang in there.

My oldest daughter - who is very good about taking all kinds of horrible tasting medicines - absolutely HATES the Augmentin, and she is not a complainer. It must really be horrible. We've tried asking the pharmacist to flavor it a different flavor (generally they'll do it for about a $3 fee - if you bring it back - let him pick out the flavor). However, my daughter said it still is no good. She prefers to just quickly get it squirted in and drink a whole glass of water afterward, and sometimes even a piece of chocolate (an M&M or Hershey's kiss) to wash away the flavor afterward. If you try this method - I would try a reward chart whereby he knows he will TRULY get a great reward if he will just go ahead and be a "big" boy and choke it all down - he'll get that toy he's been dying for, or something really, really good.

My son was on augmentin multiple times. The pedi suggested we mix it with Juicy Juice berry flavor (the blue box) he said that was how he gave it to his 6 boys. It worked for a little while. We found the best way was a syringe and coke. My son never has soda except when he has to take this stuff. We used to mix coke and the augmentin together and give it to him that way. Now he is 5 and takes the augmentin by holding his nose and then gets a "chaser" of coke (maybe 1-2 ounces.) Good luck!

My daughter refuses to take any liquid medication but she will take chewables. I don't know if augmentum cause in a chewable tablet if it does you could try that.

We have also mixed crushed pills and liquids in an apple sauce and vanilla ice cream mixture. It seems to disguise the taste and smell of the medicine and she thinks it's a huge treat. Just don't let him see you mixing it. My daughter was very wary at first because previously we had tried everything - telling her we were mixing it in various foods and liquids, trying to hide it in juice and food, and forcefully trying to squirt in her mouth - needless to say none of that worked but the apple sauce vanilla ice cream mixture saved the day!

1 / 3