Ate a Penny... How Long Will It Take???

My 3 yr old ate a penny at 4:30 on Sunday and still hasn't passed it. Dr. didn't seem too concerned since he is acting normal but it's been 3 days. A gross little tid bit... the P-nuts he ate on Monday have already come out and still no penny. Has anyone else had this issue? My son was obsessed with pacifiers and now has a hard time keeping things out of his mouth so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time I have the pleasure of exploring his excrement. Yuck... but kinda funny too. Thanks for any help...

Thanks for all the responses. The penny finally did come out 10 days after being swallowed. He never had any symptoms - was completely normal the entire time and had no idea he had passed it. I suspect the fiberone fiber bar helped it finally come out but who knows... I hope to never have to fish through poop again but with a 17 mo and 2 mo old following shortly behind my 3 year old the odds aren't looking good. :-)

You asked this question a LONG time ago, but just for peace of mind maybe. When my daughter was a baby she ate one of those partly flat decorative marbles, a clear one. It came out in her diaper in 2 days time, and the only reason I saw it (it was a loaded diaper), was because of the shine of the marble. I would guess the penny came out fairly quickly and you just missed it.

Around 11 months my daughter ate a penny, but I did not know it. All I knew is that she vomited every bottle. I took her to the doctor, who PRODDED and POKED her tummy, found nothing wrong, and the next day, penny.

Maybe it is lodged?

By the way, recently I swallowed a gold crown, and never found it. And I think I am still ok : )

It should pass fine. We experienced this in a rather scary way...my son ate a pop-top off of a pop can (my husband drinks sodas often and leaves the cans around). He must have seen dad opening the can and decided to play with the tab/pop-top and it came off, then into the mouth it went! I was unaware of this until I changed his diaper and found the pop-top. It had a sharp edge, which scared me! I shudder to think of what potential damage that sharp piece could do. So children do live through these things, even without medical consultation. If I had known, I probably would have spent time in the ER getting xrays too...

When my son was 2, he ate a dime on Mother's Day. What a gift! I was worried about him choking or something more severe happening. We went to the Dr., and they did an X-Ray but also did not seem too concerned. They said, "Now, you will just have to FIND it when it passes to make sure it passed.

It didn't take long at all....a day and a 1/2? See, at the time, I was pregnant with our 2nd and really wanted chicken mcnuggets from McDonalds. My son, who had maybe ate fast food twice at this point in his young life, had a cheeseburger and a few fries. It wasn't an hour later after eating that burger that he had a BM and out came the dime! ALthough I am not a big fan of fast food....I sure was that day!

Don't worry too much...it will pass! :-)
Goodluck!

My Grandmother use to tease me about getting rich off of my poop, I ate mostly dimes and pennies, but those were old mercury dimes. They all passed.No x rays no Dr. costs. Just alot of laughs from Mom, Dad and rest of the family.

When my son swallowed one at 2 years old. He swallowed it at about 11:00 am and it came out that evening about 6. I was amazed that it came through so quickly. Hopefully you've just missed it.

I have no idea how long it will take and i really wouldn't worry, lots of children have swallowed money. I know my siblings and i have and we are now all in our 50's
Paula

My son ate a penny when he was 3. It took him 8 days and two xrays to pass it :). Don't worry it will come out! My son thought it was just a hoot that I had to look through his poop to find it. Oh and not to be gross but when it did come out it was black not copper color any more.

my daughter swallowed a quarter once! it was awhile ago but i think it took about a week to pass. we fed her lots of fiber....salads olive oil otherwise she would have had to have an operation to retrieve the quarter....not a great alternative. it finally passed and now that she is 14 it makes for an intersting and funny story(not so funny when you are living through it though). Good luck to you!
Val

It took almost 8 days for my almost 4 year old at that time. I made him poop in a plastic bag that covered the toilet so I can grab it, go in the backyard and look for it. It will come out or probably has by now.
Good luck....it is only funny once it is over.

1 / 3