At What Temp Do You Give Medicine

HI Moms,

My husband and I disagree on how soon to give our 2 1/2 yr old daughter medicine. He want's to give it to her as soon as she has any temperature and I wait until it is over 101. There are many times when I have seen her temperature go to100 or so and then dissapear.

What are your thoughts?

Thank - you all! I also called my daughters pediatrician who agreed with me as well (she is an MD/OD). I wish I could go by symptoms but my daughter does not seem to be bothered by a higher temperature - 103.5 and she doesn't blink - a regular energizer bunny!

My husband has reluctantly agreed to wait - but then he still gripes about not being able to give her aspirin... I guess as long as he agrees todo what I think is right I can live with the complaining :)

A fever is the body's way of fighting off infection. I don't give myself or my children a fever-reducing medicine unless it is 103 or higher. Which is almost never. The high fever also warrants a visit to the medical doctor. I look at it this way; "Do I want the body to stop fighting an infection that is starting? No-way!"

I only give meds if my kids are affected by the temp physically. Otherwise, I let the fever do its job.

I agree, around 101. Sometimes they don't have a temp - they are just overheated. But if they seem uncomfortable @ 100 I will go ahead and give it to them. There are times I don't give it until 102 - again it depends on how they feel.

I say if she is uncomfortable then give her something. Sometimes a kid can feel awful and have a low-grade fever whereas other times they will spike a larger fever and act just fine. Gauging whether she needs medication on just a fever is not enough info sometimes, just use your gut instincts and give when needed to keep her comfortable.

Hardly any of us on here have any medical training - please be cautious when taking our advice.

Ask your pediatrician what their thought process is. Yes, a temperature is a sign of infection, but it also depends on what kind of infection (bacterial, fungal, viral) and the body's ability to defend against it because of issues like vaccination, immunity, etc.

Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends on their parenting website:
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/cond...

I usually give medicine between 100 and 101, but it depends on how crumby my son is feeling. When he was little he'd sometimes spike a temp and it was gone on it's own a half hour later and he kept playing like he didn't feel sick. If he feels warm, I use the kiss test first - kiss his forehead and if he feels warm to my lips, then I'll get out the thermometer. If the thermometer says it's between 100 - 101, I'll wait a half hour and test it again. If it hasn't changed or has risen (usually it's risen), I'll give him Tylenol then check in a half hour to see if it's bringing it down (usually it does). Then I'll keep checking around the time it will be when the Tylenol wears off. And repeat until it doesn't come back. If my son is really feeling bad, he'll sleep more then anything else and not want to eat much (even after the Tylenol). If he's playing and sipping water or juice and his appetite seems good, then he's feeling better and he's on the mend.

Dear J., I was told by our pedi to give only at 101.3. (38.5 celcius). Less than that the body is fiting on its own, which i understand is a good thing....
nonetheless, if your LO has a fever, I would do everything to make her comfortable even if less than 101.3, such as:
-- cool bath or cool compress
-- lite clothing/cottone clothing
-- airconditioning/fan
-- plenty of liquids

Most importantly, trust your instinct. if after doing the above, the temp does not go down, ....

GL.

Fevers are the body's natural defense over disease. I'm very careful NOT to bring a fever down too quick. Anything over 102 will get medication, other than that, I let them try to fight for themselves a while. Of course, if the fever lingers for a prolonged amount of time, I will give them medication as well.

I don't think it has as much to do with the number as it does how uncomfortable they are. If my kids have a fever of 101, but they are not complaining and are acting fairly normal, then I would just let it run it's course. Usually, if it's around 102, they are feeling pretty miserable and I'll give them something then or even if it's lower and they are in pain or feeling bad, I'll treat it.

I go by the signs to a certain point , if they are crying and clearly not happy then I give them medicine , along with taking their temp , feeling the back of the neck is also a good way to see if they have a fever...that's my rule of thumb , if the back of the neck is noticeably warm then I give medicine , the only problem with waiting longer (especially when they are young) is that they are more prone to have a seizure if the temp get's too high , and also it takes longer for the medicine to bring the temp back down.

1 / 3