At What Age Would U Teach a Boy to Stand up to Pee?

At what age have you or would you teach a boy to stand up to pee? What was your experience with it? Thanks for any comments. ~K.

Thanks a lot for your responses! I learned a lot. If he is tall enough, I've decided that I will use the cheerios trick. :) Thanks again, K.

Hi K.. I am C. and have a 5 year old son. I actually waited until about 3 1/2 even though my son was potty trained by the time he was 2 1/2. Then when he was giving me problems about it, I threw a handful of Cheerios into the toilet and made a game out of it for him. He tried really hard to hit the Cheerios and I rarely had a wet floor. Good luck!!!

Such a funny question. I grew up in a family of all girls so I was clueless in this arena until I had a boy. My advice is to wait until you are sure he is tall enough and big enough to actually be able to make it into the potty. My son was around 3/4 yo. Believe me this saves alot of cleanup all over the bathroom. If you ask me I think they should sit down and pee their whole life unless they want to wash the floors :)

Hello K.-My son who is 5yrs old now learned to pee standing up when he was first potty-trained. He didn't want to sit down to pee. He thought it was really cool to pee standing up like daddy=) Also we used it to our advantage because we would put some cheerios in the toilet and have him try to "shoot" them and he really liked that too. I'm so glad that he does stand up to pee because it's nice when he has to use a public restroom he doesn't have to sit on the dirty seat.

Once my son got the hang of going pee-pee on the potty, his dad would take him into the bathroom & show him what to do.
We bought the Blue Tank cleaners & told him it was a magic trick, he could make the water turn from blue to green;) He thought that was pretty cool and of course I had to throw some cherrios in there for target practice! (that's a must) He caught on really quick, he was having fun:)

Hello K.,
I have a 6 yr old brother. My mom had my brother sit on the toilet backwards so he faced the back of the toilet when he peed. That kept it in the toilet for one thing, but it made the transition to standing up easier. Once he started standing she had him put his hands on the back of the toilet and lean into the toilet. It seemed to work quite well for him.

I never taught mine. Although now he is almost five and has been standing for about a year or so. If it were up to me, they would always sit. Mine just caught on from dad. My little one, almost 3, still sits. My neighbor had 4 boys, and told me (the dad) that he would not let his sons stand and pee until they were like...almost adults. He had to clean the bathroom and did not want the mess! At least make sure they are tall enough to reach, without a stool. Cus if you are at a friends house, and they dont have a stool, he will still want to stand, thus making a mess!

my friends taught her son to stand and pee when they were real little like two in a half i am not sure i only have girls

I have been told having a boy sit to poop and pee is best first but some boys just wanna stand up to do it first anyway. If this is the case you cannot force sitting down on them for peeing. I'd say if your little guy is sitting and learning I wouldn't do it till he understands the process of pooping and peeing and how they can be separate. Best of luck to you because I think I have one that wants to pee standing up first. We're still trying to figure that out. Also a mom on here told me of a little urinal called Peter Potty you can get at target that you can teach them with instead of them doing it at the toilet balancing on a step stool and worrying about the seat falling and hurting any boy parts.

1 / 3