At What Age Should Your Child Stop Wearing Pull-Ups at Night?

My daughter who just turned four in March is still wearing pull ups at night. Once in awhile she'll wake up dry but for the most part she's wet every morning.Yes, she is fully potty trained during the day, it's the night time thats the worst. And with her getting older the smell in the morning is awful. I need some good advice on how to get her to stop wetting herself at night. And what age should they stop wearing pull ups at night?

It's not an age that matters. Each child is different so don't compare her to her playmates. We are getting ready to stop pullups at 4+ because he is finally dry maybe 29 days out of 30.
I think you have to draw a line of no drinks after 7pm or maybe even 6pm, depending on when she goes to bed.

My son is almost 6 and has just stopped wetting the bed. At Christmas we bought a WetStop2 alarm after talking with the pediatrician. He has now gone 2 weeks without a wet night (he would have 1 dry night a week before the alarm). I couldn't deal with the middle of the night bed changes, so I had him wear underwear under the pull-up. The doctor believed it was because he slept so soundly. The alarm "teaches" the child to wake up to go potty. The alarm we bought is safe and has a good reputation, but there are some that are not safe, so be careful.

Hi H.,

There is a web site about potty training.

www.parentingtoddlers.com/pottytraining.html

There is an infant and toddler connection at

www.infantva.org

Hope this helps. Good luck. D.

H.,
I have three boys ages 11, 9, and 5. My younger two still wear pull ups (Good nights) at night. They are also fully trained during the day but cannot go a single night without wetting. Please do not get mad at her or rebuke her for this. I have been to different preds. who have told me that this is not uncommon and they will stop. They do not have anything wrong with them their bodies just aren't developed in this area. My husband's sister was 12 before she finally stopped. I was older myself before I stopped. My oldest never had this problem. Wen he was done, he was done! One thing you may do is eliminate any fluids two hours before bedtime. A sip of water before bedtime is fine. Cut out caffeine. So, give her some time. I pray it wil not take as long as my boys!

I personally hate pull-ups but I also hate changing the bed in the middle of the night so my four year old daughter is still in them at night. I did notice that when she has worn the ones from huggies that have the cool alert she doesn't pee as much as. I have talked to a lot of my fellow mom's and we all just felt like as long as it's just at night and our kids aren't 7 or something it's a lot easier on everyone involved to use the pull ups. With my son I just clamped down on the amount of stuff he could drink before bed and waited till his pull up was dry for a whole month before going without. Now I make sure he goes to the bathroom before bed and he hasn't had any accidents. I would really say don't worry too much about it just limit the liquid and see if that helps.

R. A.

She should stop wearing them now. Let her go to bed at night with regular underwear on. After a couple of times wetting them she will stop. She may wake you up at night at first, but don't let her drink anything a couple of hours before she goes to bed either and that should help. She has to feel uncomfortable in order to stop.

From what I have heard from parents I know is that Pullups just prolong the problem. They are too dry and don't tell the child that they are wet and should stay dry.

I would ditch the pullups in favor of training pants or nothing with a waterproof mattress pad.

And as mentioned below, limit liquids before bedtime and have her use the bathroom.

Alot of children have immature bladders and just can't help it. My daughter (college senior) wet her bed until she was almost 6. Her bladder was just too small for her to be able to hold it for 8 hours. A relative also has a small baldder so we blame it on her :). Just don't put pressure on her, it just makes it worse. I found that when I "backed off" and gave it time, she was able to do better. Best wishes.

Hi H.,

www.infantva.org

Hope this helps. Good luck. D.

My pediatrician said girls are usually pooty trained at night by 5. My 5 1/2 y/o was happily wetting pull ups until I finally said "last one" a few weeks ago. I protected the mattress, let her have only a sip of water before bedtime, and take her to the potty when I get up to go (about 4 hours after her bedtime), and so far, so good. She loves it.
Good luck, but if she is not ready (physically), no point in pushing it.

1 / 3