At What Age Should a Child Not See a Parent Naked? Opinions Welcome

Hi all, I’m just wondering at what age you stopped letting your child see you naked. My son is 5 y/o and will still on occasion hang out in my room while I take a shower. He sometimes plays at the sinks which are right next to the shower but he doesn’t watch me or anything. Our shower has glass all around.

Our shower and bath tub are separate but attached to each other and at times he will bathe while I shower. Since our shower is glass we have a clear view of one another the whole time.

When I get out of the shower he will hand me my towel and robe if he is just hanging out but doesn’t really pay attention to the fact that I’m naked. If he is in my room while I am dressing I don’t mind it.

However I have started teaching him about privacy when he is dressing so now he will go into his room saying “I need some privacy please” and then closes his door.

What rules do you have about your children seeing you naked?

I saw my mum naked yesterday (I'm in my early 30's and she's in her early 60's).

My son saw me naked this morning (8), and I've seen him naked twice today.

Skin isn't a big issue for us. PRIVACY, otoh, is. We've been teaching about privacy, and respecting wishes for privacy since he was a toddler.

We don't really have any rules, I agree that kids gain modesty in their own time. We just don't make a big deal about it. They very much understand that when there are others besides direct family (ie grandma aunts and uncles) they are VERY modest but seriously we don't have AC and everyone hangs out in their undies all summer long if we are inside. Also things like, this morning I had to make a dash to the laundry room for pants. They teased me about my tightie whities but that's it :) It is really no big deal IMO. We share bathrooms and even the shower sometimes still too. Oh and they are a 9 y/o boy 6y/o girl and 3y/o boy.

no rules here, my kids are almost 12 boy, 10 boy, 8 girl and 4 months, lol. They still share the bathroom, although my oldest son does generally shower first because he has chosen to want some privacy. I think it was when I was pregnant and started getting huge that they all started averting their eyes if I was changing, so now I try to respect that and close the door, but I very openly breast feed the baby in front of them.

From my experience kids will make that transition on their own, to want privacy, or to be uncomfortable if you are undressed, and there is no reason to rush them into it.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer here. My kids are 13, 10 and 8 and they've all seen me naked, I've seen them all naked even within the last week. We don't go out of our way to walk around naked, but if someone catches a glimpse of a naked someone as they're walking from the bathroom to their room or something, it's no big deal. We're just very open and comfortable about our bodies in our household. I know others aren't as comfortable and that's just fine, in fact they'd probably be pretty surprised at how laid back WE are. My son (the 13yr old) has special needs, as well as eczema, and sometimes needs help with hygiene, which might involve me seeing him naked. They all know that if they ask for privacy, they'll immediately get it, but they rarely care enough to ask. If it changes as they get older, that's fine, I'd never push nakedness on someone who was not comfortable with it.

Well I just saw my mom naked over the weekend--I'm 30--and I've turned out okay.

My parents were never shy with nudity. As other people had said below I was the one who stopped wanting to see them naked and avoided going in their room if I knew they were changing. I turned out to be a healthy functioning adult and I plan to do the same with my kids. Plus I believed seeing them so confident in their bodies showed me to be confident in mine.

We've never made a big deal of it in our house. We don't go out of our way to be naked in front of the kids, nor have we made a production of not being naked in front of them. We have a boy (5) and girl (3) so they each know what the "parts" on the opposite sex look like. Any questions we've got (e.g "why do you have hair there?") we've tried to answer factually and briefly. So I guess we don't have any rules per se, and when the kids get self-conscious about nudity, which they will surely do, then they'd better make themselves scarce when we're naked!

My kids are 8 and 4.
They see us naked.
It is just, when doing normal things like changing clothes or showering or going to the bathroom.
And my Hubby sleeps with just underwear.

Our kids have no issues about it. Nor do we.
But yes of course, since they were younger, they do know and have been taught about privacy and about things like that. Or in regard to strangers or others. And we respect their privacy as well.

They often also (my Mom lives with us), they will sometimes just pop in to my Mom's room and there she is showering or changing her clothes. But its not a big deal.
They just giggle and start chatting with her. Normal stuff.

Whenever you feel uncomfortable. Showing nothing is wrong with the naked body in its natural state (shower, dressing, walking around, etc) is good. I am still naked in front of my almost 6 y/o daughter, my husband hasn't felt comfortable for about a year and a half now - so he wears his underwear around the house.

1 / 3