At What Age Should a Child Know Their Address?

My son is 4, almost 5 and has known his full name, address & phone numbers pretty well for awhile now. He can tell you our street number, name, city and state. He has our home and cell numbers memorized. He knows mine, my husband’s and his sister’s full name. I believe this information is essential and necessary for him to know. You never know when an emergency will arise where this information is needed. We’ve talked with my son about WHO he can give the information out to and under what circumstances.

My neighbor has a son who is 8 y/o and he doesn’t know his address or phone numbers. The Mom commented that she didn’t see why he needed to know this information. If he’s not in school, he is at home anyway or always with her. Plus we live in a “very safe neighborhood”. Last night, a discussion started about this with the other neighbors as we were all outside and everyone was wondering at what age they should start teaching this info.

At what age did your child know this information? Should I have commented to my neighbor how important it is for her 8 y/o to know?

OR Maybe I’m just overzealous about this! =-)

Well I will not bring it up with her, but if it does come back up in conversation I will mention something about it as some of you suggested.

Thanks so much for the answers and advice!!!

My daughters were REQUIRED to know address (street number, name, direction, city, state and zip code) as well has home phone before they could leave kindergarten. Full names were not needed, but were highly recommended. The other mom is being lax.

My daughter went to preschool last year and it was one of her homework assignments to learn her address, phone number and 911.

I agree with you, I am glad that was an assignment. I never really thought about having her learn it before this, but definitely think its something I feel safer about her knowing in case for some reason she ever got lost or who knows what else she may need it for.

They had to learn it in Kindergarten. She knew it, in parts, at 4 but it was part of a learning module in Kindergarten and homework was assigned.

My son had my phone numbers memorized ( work and home) when he was in kindergarten. I think he knew our address in 1st grade- so he was about 7.

I agree that kids should absolutely KNOW this information. Even in a safe neighborhood, you never know when they might need it. But the other mom would probably not take it well if you said that and will probably only follow up on it if SHE decides to- so I would let it go!

My son knew my cell number from about the time he was 3, HOWEVER, we kept our addresses (we've moved fairly frequently) from him on purpose.

My son is *super* social, and it's taken years to not have him invite *everyone* over to our house at all time. I'm talking *everyone*. Kids, adults, grocery store clerks, gas station attendants, coaches, my students (college), classmates (ditto), coworkers, husband's coworkers, the list goes on. Whenever he has figured out our address it's ended up being a race to cut him off before he can announce it to the world at large.

Not until last year (at age 7), did we finally get the concept of "there's a time and place" ground in. Stranger-danger didn't really apply because these were all people we "knew", and I was always present. It wasn't so much the people that we knew that were a problem, it was the fact that this was out in public and OTHER people could overhear our address.

Even though my son has known my cell for a long time, until this year (8yo), whenever we were somewhere crowded (county fair, seattle public market, fisherman's warf, disneyland, waterpark, fireworks show, etc.) I'd write my cell number in sharpie on his arm. Anywhere he could *possibly* get lost (never did), under the theory that some people might not either believe a toddler/young child knew the real number, or wouldn't think to ask, OR that he'd get so flustered he'd *forget*. (And also so that any possible kidnappers would have a number to phone for ransom ;) At sporting events I STILL write our section, aisle, and seat number on his arm in sharpie (that's actually been useful more than once).

As far as names... my son is funny about this. He's always been very PRECISE. It's never 1130 at our house (well, twice a day it's 1130). Instead it's 1128, 1134, etc. So it's not that surprising he *despises* the title mum & dad out in public. He will *only* call me Mum in PRIVATE. If we're anywhere where anyone else can *also* be "mum", including at MY mum's house, he calls me R.. When asked what his mum's name is, he gives out my FULL 4 name + maiden name and a brief description, just in case there MIGHT be another R. x, y, z, nee q. Unsurprisingly, he's also a real science guy.

Again, he trumps the need for privacy with the "correct" classification of who his mum is.

So in my experience:

Phone number: As young as possible.
Address: As late as possible

Yes, it is important to teach your children their important contact info; but I know there are kids out there that just refuse to answer on command, then there are those you teach and teach and teach and they know it as long as daily you go over it, but if you do not continuasly go over it they no longer remember it.

My son is supposed to know it now, he's 5 and in Kindergarten. He knows our address (street, city, state), name (that seems obvious to me by age 5!), and is working on our phone number.

By 8, they should know.

J

Oh crud, I should get on this...thanks for the post!

My sons (ages 4 and 6) have known our phone numbers for a long time but I have totally spaced the street address, shoot.....after reading this, I can honestly say that having them say "the gray house on Pamela" really wouldn't help get them home in the event of an emergency!!

I guess I know what we will be working on this weekend, Thanks NL!

~I do not think it would have hurt in the slightest to tell your neighbors why it would be a good idea! I know it helped me, gotta say I feel a bit dense right now though!

My daughter is 4 1/2 and it seems we are a little late in the game on this! She knows her full name, and mine & her dad's names. But we haven't bothered with our address yet. She's lived in 4 different places so far, and about to be a 5th! I may try to teach her the next apartment's address.

I could start teaching her at least my cell phone number. I might also ask her Pre K teachers if they will cover this at some point.

I know when I was little I had to know our phone number & address at least by the end of Kindergarten. I still to this day vaguely remember having trouble remembering our address at the time! LOL I went to that one school for preschool & Kindergarten, so I know it was around that age.

An 8 year old should definitely know this stuff thought!

1 / 3